Short nose saddles vs. classic saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g00se

by g00se

Konsi wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:28 pm
Has anyone here tried both a Specialized Power and a Selle Italia SLR Boost Superflow and can comment how the widths compare? I have a Power in 143mm, and Selle suggests a L3 saddle, but that is based on the height in their saddle finder?
I had a Power Expert 143 and could never get on with it. The cutout worked well in terms of stopping numbness but I've got very narrow sit bones and it was still a little too wide - the angular flair-out would give me saddle sores if I rode too long. I got a Selle Italia SLR Boost Superflow S3 and initially it was perfect in terms of the sores but there is less padding than the Expert and it's very stiff - so it started feeling uncomfortable after an hour or so. However, a few rides to toughen up the rear (and a bit of adjustment), and it's just about perfect. In an ideal world, I'd have a bit more padding, but I'm happy as it is.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Anyone with experience riding the Specialized Romin / Romin EVO and something comperable from Selle San Marco? Didn't really want to start a new thread and this seemed a close fit :)
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Adding to this - does anyone know if the San Marco "narrow" saddles are comparable to Specialized 143 models? The narrow San Marco's seem really narrow and they label wide as 145 which confuses me lol. :noidea:
Just ride ..

TommyGunz

by TommyGunz

Dan Gerous wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:03 pm
Just received a (takes a deep breath) Selle Italia Flite Boost Kit Carbonio Superflow L3.

Not super light at a claimed 162gr but the shape looks much better for me than most short nose saddles that are shaped too much like triangles, I think they are way too wide in the middle section so I tend to not sit where I can get sit bone support. This one's middle is almost just the same width as the nose, then abruptly widens so I should get less annoying leg restriction on the sides. Padding is firm but quite thick, will see how it goes... It also has two mounting points to bolt on accessories underneath, which might be responsible for adding to the weight.
Any updates on this? How did it feel? I was looking at different saddles and this being one of them, but I got a good deal on a Shimano Pro Stealth. Feels good on the butt however, the wide nose area is pushing on my inner thigh causing discomfort. Looking at this saddle or SLR Superflow or a Prologo next.
2021 BMC SLR01 | SRAM Red
2019 BMC TimeMachine Road 01 | DA
2020 Colnago C64 Disc | SR EPS
2020 Factor LS | Force

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TommyGunz wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:38 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
Just received a (takes a deep breath) Selle Italia Flite Boost Kit Carbonio Superflow L3.

Not super light at a claimed 162gr but the shape looks much better for me than most short nose saddles that are shaped too much like triangles, I think they are way too wide in the middle section so I tend to not sit where I can get sit bone support. This one's middle is almost just the same width as the nose, then abruptly widens so I should get less annoying leg restriction on the sides. Padding is firm but quite thick, will see how it goes... It also has two mounting points to bolt on accessories underneath, which might be responsible for adding to the weight.
Any updates on this? How did it feel? I was looking at different saddles and this being one of them, but I got a good deal on a Shimano Pro Stealth. Feels good on the butt however, the wide nose area is pushing on my inner thigh causing discomfort. Looking at this saddle or SLR Superflow or a Prologo next.
For me this SI was too narrow in the nose. My fave mainstream saddle is Pro Aerofuel.
My fave is Ceetec C1 (fiber cover soft)
ceetec c1 fiber cover soft.jpg
ceetec color.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

nunokas

by nunokas

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:55 pm
TommyGunz wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:

For me this SI was too narrow in the nose. My fave mainstream saddle is Pro Aerofuel.

ceetec color.jpg

That ceetec is interesting. What is the width?

On the short saddles issue i'm a long term user of the gelu s1. I'm on the second one but interested on trying the slr boost superflow carbonio.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

TommyGunz wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:

I found it okay, but not better than my previous go-to saddle, the 1st generation Fizik Antares 00. I found it slightly better when in the drops for extended periods but slightly worse in any other position.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

nunokas wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:10 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:55 pm
TommyGunz wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:

ceetec color.jpg

That ceetec is interesting. What is the width?

On the short saddles issue i'm a long term user of the gelu s1. I'm on the second one but interested on trying the slr boost superflow carbonio.
148mm
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.