Red Etap 11sp vs Force AXS 12sp?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Your choice

Sram Red Etap 11sp - keep it.
79%
Sram Force AXS 12sp - upgrade it.
7%
Sram Force AXS 12sp and go 1x for weight saving.
2%
Sram Red AXS is the only way to go.
12%

Total votes: 42

TLN

by TLN

Was talking to my LBS few days ago and talked into pretty good price on Force AXS group.
Currently have Red Etap HRD, that works great for me. Force AXS was priced very agressively, and I thought about switching to it for a second. It's pretty subjective, since all the groups work great. I know it will be a bit heavier, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. New extra modes in AXS group (sequental, compensating) looks interesting. Not sure if there's anything else. Haven't played with AXS before.

-I live in flat area, was running Force 1x, 50x 11-28 with no big issues before.
-Currently have 52/36 and 11-28. Might size down to 11-25 or 11-26 cassette.
-I ride 5-6k/year, increased cost of 12sp parts (cassettes and chains) is not a deal-breaker, but still.

Keep existing etap:
-Lots of available parts: wheels/cassettes/chains.
-If it works - don't touch it.
-Saves $, even though its inexpensive upgrade.
-Lighter then Force AXS

Upgrade to force axs:
-Newer tech
-Faster shifting. Is it? Red AXS is faster then older etap, what about Force AXS?
-More expensive parts (cassettes/chains). Not a dealbreaker, but still.
-Bit heavier.

I'm also considering 1x with new Force AXS. It will give a bit bigger range then I had before with 1x. Will probably weight close to existing etap (No FD, one less chainring).
Thoughts?

by Weenie

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Price of the Force?

Jugi

by Jugi

I would stick with 1gen eTap. Improvements in shifting speed etc. are marginal at best and like mentioned, AXS comes with additional weight and may include additional maintenance cost depending on configuration.

AXS may become much more viable in the next 2-3 years, if the "family of components" thinking behind it starts to provide some beneficial features or new possibilities in mixing and matching components.

If you were in the process of building a new bike and could have either a 1gen eTap Red or an eTap Force AXS at the same price, I would still be tempted by the 1gen group.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

The force i demoed was noisy and ive seen a bunch of other ppl complaining. I found the rear shifts to be very slow compared to mech campy and slower than ultegra di2 but front was nicer. Chain seems to last a lot, i think the guy has about 8k km on it now and still ok.

AJS914

by AJS914

You live in a flat area and so you don't really need another gear. "Upgrading" sounds like just spending money for no reason. Take a cycling vacation with the money. Have an adventure!

TLN

by TLN

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:07 pm
Price of the Force?
About what I can get for full etap hydro. May be few hundred $ more in something that I'm missing, for example bottom bracket.
Alexandrumarian wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:32 pm
The force i demoed was noisy and ive seen a bunch of other ppl complaining. I found the rear shifts to be very slow compared to mech campy and slower than ultegra di2 but front was nicer. Chain seems to last a lot, i think the guy has about 8k km on it now and still ok.
Sometimes I wish etap shifter faster, but it's not a dealbreaker. I've read that Red AXS is faster, but not so sure about Force AXS.
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:47 pm
You live in a flat area and so you don't really need another gear. "Upgrading" sounds like just spending money for no reason. Take a cycling vacation with the money. Have an adventure!
It will benefit from extra gear with 1x I think. No need for extra gear with 2x chainrings.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I had the same issue, but going from a rim to disc frame. Decided to just get a pair of hrd shifters-calipers and keep the rest of the stuff. Like you said, it saves you a bunch of money and is lighter. I need it to be lighter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I really like my Force AXS and have had zero issues with it. The speed of the shifting is as good as I had hoped. I really like the compensating mode for front shifting. That said, I don't think it would be worth upgrading to AXS from Red Etap. I came from a 10 speed group and never felt the need for eleven speed on any of my bikes. 10 was enough and 12 is more of the same.

shotgun

by shotgun

I'm in a similar situation. Couple of reasons that made me deside to stay with 11s Red eTap
- It's lighter
- no cash out (for other stuff)
- it shifts fast enough
- 11s is enough for me
- I can still use other wheels and borrow wheels (if I get a flat), 12s isnt' widely used yet
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try running 1x with your etap maybe. The 9-32t cassettes come to mind.

djel

by djel

I bought a new 2020 bike and had the Force groupset swapped for eTap 11s mainly because of the weight. Force is heavy AF and I wasn't a fan of the look.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I would go with AXS because the first-gen eTap is a compatibility dead-end. At least with Force AXS, you can expect the shifters to work with future AXS products. You can harvest the parts piece-meal and transfer them to other AXS builds.

TLN

by TLN

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:52 am
Try running 1x with your etap maybe. The 9-32t cassettes come to mind.
I don't really need that range. I was running 50t and 11-28.
1x Axs gets me better gearing, with about the same top ratio Quick bike calc says 90rpm at 50/11 is about 57kmh. I'm going bit slower then that :noidea:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 am
I would go with AXS because the first-gen eTap is a compatibility dead-end. At least with Force AXS, you can expect the shifters to work with future AXS products. You can harvest the parts piece-meal and transfer them to other AXS builds.
Except that Sram can do same thing again and release new DND (spelled Denied) group that is not compatible with current AXS gear.
Yeah, and two new shifting modes. If there's anything besides extra shiftime modes?
What compatability we're looking for? Etap is compatible with my wahoo. It shows gears and when battery is dying. And what gear I'm riding. And blips are available in case I need em. What I'm missing?

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 am
Yeah, but he's got it now.

It'll be cheaper in the future because of the time value of money.

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Oh yeah, f that. I'm not upgrading any of my 11spd eTap bikes to AXS. No plans on going 2x12...I'll wait for 1x14 in several years.

My new gravel/cx build will probably be 1x "mullet" AXS though.