Tubeless wheels with alloy brake tracks question

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Dan112

by Dan112

Hi

I currently own full carbon rims and a pair of campagnolo zonda wheels. Im looking to sell both and purchase 1 wheelset.

I'm after something ideally with alloy tracks as I'll be using them in winter and I'd like tubeless as I already have tubeless tyres on my carbon wheelset and like the feel / ride.

What wheelsets are out there that have an alloy brake track and are tubeless ready?

So far I've found

*shamals
*Zipp 30 course
*hunt wheels

Are there anymore that people know of that are decent? I do a lot of climbing and sportives so far I'm looking at the shamals?

Thanks

Sockman

by Sockman

HED Ardennes. 25mm wide rims give a great Tyre profile. I'm running mine tubeless. Easy to set up and the tyres went on and inflated with a regular track pump.

by Weenie

Dan112

by Dan112

Sockman wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:32 pm
HED Ardennes. 25mm wide rims give a great Tyre profile. I'm running mine tubeless. Easy to set up and the tyres went on and inflated with a regular track pump.
Thanks ill check these out now

dim

by dim

HED Belgium Plus
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kytyree

by kytyree

Ritchey Zetas, I got a set for my travel bike from starbike, and have been pretty happy with them.

naylor343

by naylor343

Pacenti forza or kinlin xr range

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'll jump on the HED train as well. Ardennnes and Belgium, and add Jet in there as well if you want deeper section. Jet is basically Ardennes with a carbon farring bonded to it. I had a pair before switching to disc and they were the best wheels I owned.

Make sure you're looking at the "Plus" versions if you buy used. The older non-Plus versions are not quite as wide and are not tubeless ready.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

okimy

by okimy

DT Swiss wheels are good aswell. Their performance range has alloy wheels (shallow, no carbon fairing) and they come tubeless ready out of the box (with tape installed and valves in the box).

Dan112

by Dan112

Cheers everyone :) think I'm gonna go for a set of HED Ardennes or jet if my budget can go that far. @irrelevantD yeah I'll make sure I get the plus.

Thanks 4 the heads up

dim

by dim

Dan112 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:10 pm
Cheers everyone :) think I'm gonna go for a set of HED Ardennes or jet if my budget can go that far. @irrelevantD yeah I'll make sure I get the plus.

Thanks 4 the heads up
and get the new HED Plus rimtape (only 1 layer required):

https://www.hedwheels.com/product-page/ ... compatible

and the Silca tubeless valves:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Silca/ ... hield/DRZ6
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Miller

by Miller

HED sure charge a fortune for alloy rims.

dim

by dim

Miller wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:53 pm
HED sure charge a fortune for alloy rims.
LOl ... I have 2 wheelsets with HED Belgium Plus Rims

HED Belgium Plus rims with Chris King R45 hubs (the ceramic upgrade ones ) and Sapim CX-ray spokes for my Trek Emonda SL6

my newest set for my touring bike (Miyata 1000) .... HED Belgium Plus Rims, Son 28 dynamo front hub and Royce rear hub ....

if you don't buy the best, you will always wonder what it would be like having the best :P
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hed rims and dt swiss lack the bead lock. This can and does every time I have attempted tubeless I installation on these rims to the tyre inserting when air is removed. While the sealant has a gluing effect so on the road you may or may not see the I seating tyre if you flat the retention is weak which may make the insertion of the plug difficult without inserting the tyre. Had this issue on the road and it was a bugger moment.

Pacenti rims also lack the bead lock but the tyre fit is so tight it does not need it.

Kinlin xr range are brilliant for tubeless compatibility. Mavic ust is good too. Hunt use kinlin made rims so should be good. Campagnolo and fulcrum two way fit is good for tubeless compatibility also.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Tune TSR 22. They're even very reasonably priced:

https://en.tune.de/wheels/tsr-22

https://www.bike24.com/p2113354.html

DavidinMaine

by DavidinMaine

Nice American made options from Astralcycling ( currently on sale!) Boyd Altamont get good reviews. November wheels offer many handbuilt options at reasonable prices.

David

by Weenie