canyon Ultimate CF EVO Disc Frameset Electric

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
carborush

canyon Ultimate CF EVO Disc Frameset Electric

Post by carborush »

I am considering buying this frameset to build me a sub 6kg bike (not happy with the complete bike setup canyon offers)
https://www.canyon.com/nl-be/road-bikes ... /2418.html
I have a pretty good idea on the components I want, except for the crackset / bottom bracket.
can I fit one of these ? HOLLOWGRAM SISL2 CRANKSET in the canyonframe ? if so what BB do you recommend ? (preferable a lightweigt one off couse).
If not ? what crankset/BB do you recommend ?

any reviews or user experiences for this frameset ?

mrlobber

Re: canyon Ultimate CF EVO Disc Frameset Electric

Post by mrlobber »

I suggest you read stuff on bottom brackets first. No, the SISL2 won't fit - the axle is too short (there are longer axles available, but they'll throw Q-factor and chainline off), and in addition to that, the SISL2 crank has axle of 30mm width. Canyon uses BB86, which works best with 24mm axle width cranks (essentially Shimano or SRAM GXP). You can fit 30mm axle cranks in BB86 frames, however, you need thinner bearings to do that, thus, the bearing life will be compromised (albeit it could still work quite nice if it's not your day-to-day commuting bike).

And most likely, you won't have a complete bike below 6kg with pedals, unless you go exotic cockpit components and shallow tubular disc brake wheels on top of that, which still might not be enough.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

carborush

Post by carborush »

thank you for the quick reaction mrlobber.
I'm pretty confident I can assemble most components on the bike, except with the many BB standards, for that part i'm not.
so "BB86" is helping me already.
I consider to get the extralight wheels (1080gr.) these are +-200gr lighter then the DTswiss canyon is providing with the complete bike, and in this version the bike is 5.99kg. So ending up around 6kg with a 200gr lighter wheelset should be doable i assume.
For the other components I already made some weight excel sheet comparisons with the setup of the complete bike.
in short : if I end up around 6kg, I would be a happy camper :)

I guess my real question is : besides a shimano and sram crankset/ with a BB86, are there cranckset/BB combinations alternitives for the BB86 that canyon uses ? preferably lighter options that is.

and my second question : starting from the canyon evo frame, seems to me a good starting point.
But are there any other framesets that have same weight ? (frameset should be disc + electrical groupset compatible)

pmprego

Post by pmprego »

carborush wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:54 pm
thank you for the quick reaction mrlobber.
I'm pretty confident I can assemble most components on the bike, except with the many BB standards, for that part i'm not.
so "BB86" is helping me already.
I consider to get the extralight wheels (1080gr.) these are +-200gr lighter then the DTswiss canyon is providing with the complete bike, and in this version the bike is 5.99kg. So ending up around 6kg with a 200gr lighter wheelset should be doable i assume.
For the other components I already made some weight excel sheet comparisons with the setup of the complete bike.
in short : if I end up around 6kg, I would be a happy camper :)

I guess my real question is : besides a shimano and sram crankset/ with a BB86, are there cranckset/BB combinations alternitives for the BB86 that canyon uses ? preferably lighter options that is.

and my second question : starting from the canyon evo frame, seems to me a good starting point.
But are there any other framesets that have same weight ? (frameset should be disc + electrical groupset compatible)
Factor o2 vam disc I guess is really light

Kayrehn

Post by Kayrehn »

My size 54 Factor VAM disc with hardware on. I'm curious about the frame weight of the Canyon disc frameset as I was contemplating that and it is not stated on the website. But eventually I got this Factor for a great price and the Canyon disc wasn't released for sale frameset only at that time so. Image

pmprego

Post by pmprego »

Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:49 am
My size 54 Factor VAM disc with hardware on. I'm curious about the frame weight of the Canyon disc frameset as I was contemplating that and it is not stated on the website. But eventually I got this Factor for a great price and the Canyon disc wasn't released for sale frameset only at that time so. Image
The biggest limiting factor on a weight weenie disc project is the groupset. It's Shimano, sram and campagnolo the ones that have to go on a diet.

Kayrehn

Post by Kayrehn »

Im thinking of heat shrinking a pair of hoods and making the brake hose just the right length to save weight. Bought light rotors but other than that not much else to cut weight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

carborush

Post by carborush »

Kayrehn wrote:
My size 54 Factor VAM disc with hardware on. I'm curious about the frame weight of the Canyon disc frameset as I was contemplating that and it is not stated on the website. But eventually I got this Factor for a great price and the Canyon disc wasn't released for sale frameset only at that time so.
Hi Kayrehn,
thanks for the input
can you please compare with the 1.51kg setup from the canyon website ? +fork+handlebars and stem+saddle post+headset... (if that is the total frameset weight given by canyon??)
for the canyon I could find this :
641g for the frame size medium and for the fork 285g, handlebars and stem270g, schmolke seatpost 87gr
that leaves 227gr for headset bearings, screws and both thru axles ?

Kayrehn

Post by Kayrehn »

You can refer to the weight of my other parts here viewtopic.php?t=158805 obviously the weight of the miscellaneous parts are too much. I never intended to use the integrated bar stem and seatpost so did not weigh them unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pmprego

Post by pmprego »

carborush wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 pm
Kayrehn wrote:
My size 54 Factor VAM disc with hardware on. I'm curious about the frame weight of the Canyon disc frameset as I was contemplating that and it is not stated on the website. But eventually I got this Factor for a great price and the Canyon disc wasn't released for sale frameset only at that time so.
Hi Kayrehn,
thanks for the input
can you please compare with the 1.51kg setup from the canyon website ? +fork+handlebars and stem+saddle post+headset... (if that is the total frameset weight given by canyon??)
for the canyon I could find this :
641g for the frame size medium and for the fork 285g, handlebars and stem270g, schmolke seatpost 87gr
that leaves 227gr for headset bearings, screws and both thru axles ?
If their proposition is to sell a sub-6kg disc bike it would be dumb to under weight stuff.

They really made an ultra light frame. 300gr of the frame is amazing. The groupsets are staying behind. It would be nice for Shimano to go after some noticeable weight improvements in the disc version instead of the 12 speed weight putting.

DanielNorway

Post by DanielNorway »

Anyone know if it is possible to do internal di2-routing in the CP20-aerocockpit?