SL6 seatpost with Aspide oval rails

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Building up a Tarmac with San Marco Aspide carbon rails. I get a big gap between the clamp ears and exterior vertical sides of the rails. Is this normal? I have a one bolt Ritchey seatpost with a fairly similar system, the fit was much better. Thanks

by Weenie

alanyu

by alanyu

tarmac seatpost is 7*9 clamp, while aspide carbon rail is 7*9.8.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Thanks. I measured about 9.4- 9.5, was hoping it could take as much. I also have a Fizik saddle which measures about 10.5 due to that cloth wrap. Both worked fine in a Ritchey and a Canyon top clamping post. I can easily dremel 0.5 from the rail tops but hoping to hear it is not necesary. I haven't torqued it fully yet but it looks like the gaps are moving from the external sides to the internal ones as the torque increases.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I took the saddle and ears off to check the fit more closely. It is less a problem of height and more of shape i think. The rails have flat sides followed by a clear ridge / kink towards the rounded top, while the ears have a very rounded profile, they should fit better with a true oval rail.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Nobody? Is everyone with a tarmac using a specialized or simply a round rail saddle? Looking around i saw several with fizik saddles. I just rechecked my fizik and it is 8x10.5mm with even bigger gaps next to the ears, and that cloth is not compressing much. So i guess it could work after all - tomorrow i will do the bikes maiden voyage and see how it goes.

sychen

by sychen

Selle Italia Sp01 oval carbon rails work fine.
Berk oval rails are under sized and slip unles I put some electrical tape to pad it out.

Have not used aspides or any San Marcos... Sorry

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie