Weight weenie parts that actually worked!!!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@Bandit2016 you used Tesa tape to wrap the hoods up too? I was thinking of using heat shrink but tape will be easier to work with of course - a pic will be great Image

New contribution - Skunkworks etap climbing shifter buttons. Minimalist and unobtrusive, the original blips look like huge boils in comparison.

Turbolite tubes - the few people I know who tried it didn't like it, punctured fast, tear at valve stem, but it might be due to luck, who knows.

the jackel

by the jackel

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:47 am

What have you used to hold the cables closer to the bars instead of the bar tape? Looks smart, obviously reduced use of bar tape and not seen it done before.

by Weenie

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

A knog blinker on the left and the garmin tether on the right (a very important accessory!) Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Worked:
* eeBrakes (Gen 2)
* KCNC Ti skewers
* KCNC seatpost binder
* Keywin Carbon Ti pedals
* tubular wheels / tires... Don't even have a clincher wheel for the road bike anymore. I even upgraded my wife's bike
* Jagwire link cable housing

Did not work:
* Tune Mig 70 front hub (cracked flange), replaced with WI T11 (with a few grams weight penalty)
* Chinese bottle cages (fake XXX)... Barely hold a bottle... Replaced with Mandibles before even riding it
* AICAN Bungarus cable housing (links crack)

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

dastott

by dastott

AndreLM wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:50 am

Did not work:
* Tune Mig 70 front hub (cracked flange), replaced with WI T11 (with a few grams weight penalty)
* Chinese bottle cages (fake XXX)... Barely hold a bottle... Replaced with Mandibles before even riding it
Yes, I had the same issue with Tune Mig 70 hub, with the flange breaking. Was lucky I was only 20kms from home. Free hub body on the Mag 170 rear hub also broke.
Had much better luck with Chinese XXX cages. Used on 2 bikes for around 40,000kms with no issues and various bottles (inc. Camelbak and Elite)

Bandit2016

by Bandit2016

Here is a photo of Tesa tape.
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

Bandit2016

by Bandit2016

I should add that I ride 65miles per day in Florida and that sweat has never caused the Tesa to unstick, smell, discolor. I do wear riding gloves with some small amount of padding which is enough comfort for me. The pictures I posted shows tape that has been on the Fuji for 8 months and thosands of miles in sun and rain. The black color has not faded or stained.

Also I have used Tune Bowden cable housing on 3 bikes with SRAM RED, and it works for me. Available on EBAY.

AliExpress titanium Speedplay Pave pedals,138g. I love them
1x setup with TA 42t chainring(not narrow wide) Super light and never dropped a chain.

tomee

by tomee

anyone using Alpitude combo mount with a fly12ce by any chance?
they say the max payload of the mount is 300g.

AdvanTech

by AdvanTech

What worked:
THM Carbones Tibia
THM Carbones Ulna
Schmolke Carbon TLO 62 Clincher Rim Brake Wheelset w/Extralite Cyber hubs

What didn't work:
AX Lightness Leaf II Plus Carbon saddle - wasn't comfy for my butt
Bar Fly Race Direct computer mount - Wouldn't stay tight over rough patches of road so I had to bring an allen key to tighten it again on every ride. Thread eventually stripped. Went back to a handlebar-mounted system for piece of mind.
Extralite Streeters QR skewers - kept stretching over time and causing my hubs to make odd noises until I re-tightened them. Swapped out to quite heavy DT Swiss RWS skewers and I now have full confidence throwing my bike around on a hard sprint. No more pings from the hub, and it seems to retain its original clamping force.
Last edited by AdvanTech on Mon May 25, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Didn't work.

J & L steerer expander...worst piece of crap ever!
ED9DE3D8-EE10-4ECD-AFEC-F34A5C6CC26C.jpeg

C36

by C36

Wingnut wrote:Didn't work.

J & L steerer expander...worst piece of crap ever!
ED9DE3D8-EE10-4ECD-AFEC-F34A5C6CC26C.jpeg
Curious, what happens with your expander?
Initially mine was “slippery”, but with carbon paste and sanding a bit the surface... worked as expected.

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Mine won't grip the steerer...I have two that both do the same.

Maybe I need to do some sanding too?

C36

by C36

Wingnut wrote:Mine won't grip the steerer...I have two that both do the same.

Give it a try, it worked for me. I tried 2 different sanding “ grains “, the rougher worked better.

alanyu

by alanyu

See this topic again.

I should add that Ti spindle for DA9100 pedals is a no go. After about 3500km, it is deformed. The end side of the spindle (away from the crank) where the balls sit is deformed, and it makes a bit of play of the pedal body, and a lot of creaking. Playing with the preload couldn't solve the problem. Other part under the bearing is OKish. I think the reason is the area at the end side too small, making too much pressure (P=F/S) on it for the softer material comparing to the harden steel.

Maddie

by Maddie

C36 wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Mine won't grip the steerer...I have two that both do the same.

Give it a try, it worked for me. I tried 2 different sanding “ grains “, the rougher worked better.
Same here. Had to roughen the steerer, then it worked

by Weenie