Weight weenie parts that actually worked!!!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Roy2018

by Roy2018

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:28 am
Roy2018 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:22 am
LewisK wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:05 am
Roy2018 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 am
Items that work:
Carbon-ti and Tune wheel skewers ( I am a lightweight at 68kg)
Tune Wassertrager bottle cages
Berk Dila and Lupina saddles

Items that didn't:
Berk List
What happened to the Berk List?
First ride the saddle snapped in half going over a small bump. This caused the contact point between the rails and saddle towards the front to detach itself. It was a shame as it fitted me well. I've since bought 2 Lupinas and and a Dila and have had no problems. These models feel more structurally sound particularly the Dila.
Ive broken Lupina(2).. but not the Dila, but I have also not ridden the Dila but a couple rides as I does not fit my style.
In my opinion the Lupina is rather delicate compared to a Selle Italia carbonio SLR (which are bomb proof).

If your a heavier rider and/or are a bit careless with how you handle your bike I would not suggest you buy a Berk regardless of comfort level.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

not a lightweight or a clyde...but I'm careful. Lupinas broke on some rather mundane stuff. The second one I just kept and JB welded the hell out of it and use it on my gravel bike

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

alanyu wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:15 am
Ti spindles for DA R9100 pedals.
Shimano uses the steel spindle as the bearing race. I've read that a Ti spindle for the DA pedals is not possible because Ti is a poor material for a bearing race. Are you happy with the purchase? Any issues? A more durable solution would be to press fit a steel bearing race onto a Ti spindle.

alanyu

by alanyu

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:49 am
alanyu wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:15 am
Ti spindles for DA R9100 pedals.
Shimano uses the steel spindle as the bearing race. I've read that a Ti spindle for the DA pedals is not possible because Ti is a poor material for a bearing race. Are you happy with the purchase? Any issues? A more durable solution would be to press fit a steel bearing race onto a Ti spindle.
So far I'm happy with it. No depression. Note that I'm only 57kg and no more than 70kg with a bag commuting. It is a bit hard to get a suitable preload when mounting.

Ti is poor for a bearing race due to its low surface hardness ~ HRc30-33 while the bearing steel is usually ~ HRc62-66. However I think the gold color Ti spindle they sell should be actually TiN on surface, whose surface hardness can reach ~ HRc55-65.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Roy2018 wrote:
LewisK wrote:
Roy2018 wrote:
Items that work:

Items that didn't:
Berk List
First ride the saddle snapped in half going over a small bump. This caused the contact point between the rails and saddle towards the front to detach itself. It was a shame as it fitted me well. I've since bought 2 Lupinas and and a Dila and have had no problems. These models feel more structurally sound particularly the Dila.
Thanks for he info. Just purchased a Berk List, and obviously better take care to keep the receipt! I am fairly light (62kg, the max-weight for the List is 100 kg!), and first 130km-ride caused no problems, but such a saddle although has to withstand fast ride about cobble stone, or a fast downhill on bad road surface, etc.

what makes me a little bit suspicious considering Berk saddles is, that the max-torque for the rails is only 5 Nm! Thats not much, Ritchey Flexlogic- or Superlogic-Posts, for example, demand 10 Nm for proper installation.

StanK

by StanK

alanyu wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:01 am
C36 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:08 pm
StanK wrote: .......
4. Titanium clamps for Dura Ace 9000 shifters (from Titanium Planet shop) - constant slippage. I was return them and not even got refund. Titanium bolt for Superlogic seatpost is fine (for now, at least), but all in all, web-shop to avoid in future.
Don’t they come by default with Ti clamps? 9150 for sure, but quite sure I had them on my 9070 too...
The bolts and nuts are not Ti. The weight goes from 13.X gr to 7.9 gr
Kinda late answer, but nevertheless ...

That's correct. I weighed it myself before turning them back, but I think I deleted pics because ... who care, things don't work.

As a conclusion, PayPal gave me my money back after Titanium Planet playing deaf. As I said, I would avoid them in the future. Business Culture of 3rd grade.

Roy2018

by Roy2018

reedplayer wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am
Roy2018 wrote:
LewisK wrote:
Roy2018 wrote:
Items that work:

Items that didn't:
Berk List
Thanks for he info. Just purchased a Berk List, and obviously better take care to keep the receipt! I am fairly light (62kg, the max-weight for the List is 100 kg!), and first 130km-ride caused no problems, but such a saddle although has to withstand fast ride about cobble stone, or a fast downhill on bad road surface, etc.

what makes me a little bit suspicious considering Berk saddles is, that the max-torque for the rails is only 5 Nm! Thats not much, Ritchey Flexlogic- or Superlogic-Posts, for example, demand 10 Nm for proper installation.
I torque all my berks at 5nm. So far so good, never had a slippage.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Thanks for the info. atm i am using it on bike with a deda post. rode it for ca 700 km without any problems. great saddle, very comfortable, light and appealing.
berk.jpg

C36

by C36

StanK wrote:
alanyu wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:01 am
C36 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:08 pm
StanK wrote: .......
4. Titanium clamps for Dura Ace 9000 shifters (from Titanium Planet shop) - constant slippage. I was return them and not even got refund. Titanium bolt for Superlogic seatpost is fine (for now, at least), but all in all, web-shop to avoid in future.
Don’t they come by default with Ti clamps? 9150 for sure, but quite sure I had them on my 9070 too...
The bolts and nuts are not Ti. The weight goes from 13.X gr to 7.9 gr
Kinda late answer, but nevertheless ...

That's correct. I weighed it myself before turning them back, but I think I deleted pics because ... who care, things don't work.

As a conclusion, PayPal gave me my money back after Titanium Planet playing deaf. As I said, I would avoid them in the future. Business Culture of 3rd grade.
Edit: I mixed provider... they are Titanium Planet
J&L ones worked no problem.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanyu

by alanyu

C36 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:43 am

any link? :beerchug:

C36

by C36

alanyu wrote:
C36 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:43 am

any link? :beerchug:
Hum my bad, just looked my eBay and they are from Titanium planet Image. I had to file a bit the carbon plate to fit them in the 9150 shifters (was expecting it) but then never had an issue.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3133205171

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

EE brakes
XXX saddle
Berk Lupina saddle
Tune wassertrager 2.0 bottle cages
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

Bandit2016

by Bandit2016

chinese xxx integrated handle bars 250-260g on 5 bikes
knockoff chinese ultralight expander on 5 bikes
elita one seatpost 6 bikes
one piece chinese aluminum topcap /screw for headset
960g tubular wheels from deerace/deerobust 2 bikes
recon gold cassettes, Kcnc titanium cassette
pyc chains
chinese carbon saddles ec90 83g 5 bikes
carbon front derailleur clamp
chinese 11g seatpost clamps 6 bikes
ciamillo og5ti and kcnc c7 brakes 6 bikes
tesa tape for handlebars also to replace sram red hoods . Tape for hoods looks good and has lasted thousands of miles without decay
Titanium bolts for derailleurs, seatpost, stem
nylon screws for water bottle cages, bottom bracket cable guide

Didn't work:
aluminum screws for brake pads
6g seatpost clamp fron China. Kept slipping
nylon screws for derailleur H/L. They bent and didn't adjust at all. Went to Ti.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Worked for me:

• Berk Lupina: I'm on an unpadded model with round rails from maybe 2-3 years ago. Never had an issue and it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. But I'm ~58kg so I'm not really stressing saddles.

• Tubolito tubes: Best $/g upgrade out there imo. Versus a normal tube you're looking at 50 cents a gram? Ridiculous. And no real leaks or issues to speak of. Not like the continental supersonics I used to run.

• Raceware 3d printed wahoo mount: Lightweight, gets the job done

• THM Fibulas: I see a fair amount of mixed reviews and people with issues, but mine have been flawless. Again though, I'm 58kg so I probably don't need an absolute *f##k* ton of stopping power in order to stop me from moving.

• Cane Creek EEBrakes: Also great. Only got rid of them because I upgraded to the THMs

• SRM Origin Powermeter: God, having a powermeter with a rechargeable battery is amazing. I was concerned that the charger would compromise waterproofness but I've had no issues in the year that I've had it.

• Darimo T1 Seatpost: Has been flawless so far. Currently in the process of ordering the loop system upgrade, as well as a new bar and stem

• Rox Ultra ultralite rim strips: 3g rim strips (for a set) might actually be a better $/g deal than the tubolito tubes, but they do exactly what they say they do

• Omni Racer titanium cassette: Obviously there's a durability trade off, but it's not like you'll chew through the thing in a month. And 118g for a 11-28 is hard to beat.

• Pedals: Zeros with Ti spindles and and bowties. 145g for the pair. I guess the only downside is needing to occasionally put anti-seize on the threads.

• Alligator I links: I've only ever used them for brakes. Lightweight, and they work great.

Didn't work:

• Continental supersonics: Not sure if I got a bad batch of them or something but mine were pretty leaky.

• Fizik Arione 00: No quality or durability issues here, but had a bit of a weird experience with mine. I'd ridden a standard arione for years and really liked the saddle, but for whatever reason experienced numbness on rides over 40 miles with the 00. I've since swapped for the Lupina.

jlok

by jlok

Any ww front derailleur clamp that works great?
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10