Disc brake issues/help please!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Kiwikid wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:00 am
Ok so latest update and its more confusing than ever!
So i swapped wheels with my mate, identical bike, frame size, wheel etc.... he had no issues at all with my wheel, I had the same noise and vibrations with his. Tried a Dura ace front wheel, same issues.
Interestingly it looks like the pads are grabbing to low down on the disc rotor, i.e. the rotor is set for something like a 155 diameter disc, not a 160? But the calliper mount is set up for 160... and when you look at it when stationary it all looks like its set up perfectly but for some reason under load it must push into the caliber further than it shout...? Weird!
There are scuff marks on the rotor way to low down than there should be.
I have swapped to a 140mm rotor and gone for a ride and so far no issues.... it still does not explain the issues with the 160mm rotor!
We even had the Shimano rep look at it and he was stumped.
So we have had a Protour mechanic, leading local mechanic and shimano rep and none of us can figure out what the hell is going on!
maybe a faulty 160mm caliper adapter

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Pictures?

by Weenie

Aeo

by Aeo

Are you using the standard Shimano brake pads? J02A or something. I don't really like them.

If you do 90kph descents regularly, maybe the Swissstop Disc-E pads are the right pick.

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

ChiZ01 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:31 am
Kiwikid wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:00 am
maybe a faulty 160mm caliper adapter
I'd say the same, I had the same issue when setting up my disks, and it came down to making sure all the spacers and bolts were in a specific order to stop it moving. This was on a post mount but the flat mount adapters are so cheap it would be an easy thing to rule out!