ENVE SES 3.4 AR vs. 4.5 AR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jkonst

by jkonst

I'm looking at a new bike and have the option of the 3.4 AR or 4.5 AR wheels. I'll be running these tubeless (28mm, or maybe 30mm at some point). I'm generally on rolling hills, with the occasional extended steep climb. I'm around 81kg/193cm and average ~27km/hr on my (mostly solo) rides - working to improve that for next season, though. Crosswinds aren't a huge factor for me, though I do occasionally encounter them and it would be nice to not white knuckle it as much on those days.

ENVE claims the 4.5s handle crosswinds better than the 3.4s (see "stability" in link below), which otherwise I'd imagine would be a selling point for the 3.4s. The weight differential is around 10%/150g, though I'm not going for a real WW build (bike will end up around 7.6kg with pedals). Otherwise, ENVE says the 3.4s have a lower risk for pinch flats due to their newer "wide hookless bead."

What would you do?

https://www.enve.com/en/journal/behind- ... system-ar/

groover08

by groover08

For that terrain I'd choose the 4.5 ARs. I ride similar terrain and thoroughly love my 4.5 ARs. I've never found crosswinds to be a concern. They are great wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

since it's only occasionaly climbing I'd chose 4.5AR... I love mine, but I got them before the 3.4AR existed. I'd probably still get 4.5AR at this point.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

4.5 AR

kode54

by kode54

4.5AR has same hookless rim as 3.4AR. Like others have said...go with the 4.5AR.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jkonst

by jkonst

Thank you all! 4.5 it is.

mothetgoo

by mothetgoo

I am reviving this question for a slightly different situation. I live in a hilly area (PNW). I am replacing my ten year old road bike (on which I have enve 3.4 rim brake wheels) with two bikes, an aero bike and a more traditional road bike. Both disc.

Should I go 4.5 on the aero and 3.4 on the road (both ar, as I plan to run 28-30 for the bad road quality etc). OR, should I got enve foundation 65 on the aero road and 4.5 on the regular road? Basically, are the 4.5s aero enough for an aero bike? Will I wish I had the 3.4s on a day with 8000+ ft of climbing?

For those who will question whether I really need both bikes, the answer is probably no. The aero bike will have a more aggressive position though and will be used for some racing (although not serious). I would be lying if I pretended that a big part of the reason for the two bikes is just that I love bikes though.

cpac54

by cpac54

mothetgoo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:37 pm
I am reviving this question for a slightly different situation. I live in a hilly area (PNW). I am replacing my ten year old road bike (on which I have enve 3.4 rim brake wheels) with two bikes, an aero bike and a more traditional road bike. Both disc.

Should I go 4.5 on the aero and 3.4 on the road (both ar, as I plan to run 28-30 for the bad road quality etc). OR, should I got enve foundation 65 on the aero road and 4.5 on the regular road? Basically, are the 4.5s aero enough for an aero bike? Will I wish I had the 3.4s on a day with 8000+ ft of climbing?

For those who will question whether I really need both bikes, the answer is probably no. The aero bike will have a more aggressive position though and will be used for some racing (although not serious). I would be lying if I pretended that a big part of the reason for the two bikes is just that I love bikes though.
This is a debate I'm also currently having: SES 3.4 vs SES 4.5

I live pretty close to the mountains and our typical riding is pretty rolling with plenty of short, sharp climbs. It's not uncommon to have a handful of 10-15 min climbs on a ride and an average total elevation gain of 1000-1500m (3200-5000 ft??)

My thinking initially was that the 4.5 would serve well as my "all-around" wheelset and that I would pickup a lighter climbing wheelset for bigger trips, which are usually multi-day mountain trips with lots and lots of big passes.

trackflack

by trackflack

I reckon the aero benefit of the deeper wheel will more than outweigh the minor weight increase

trackflack

by trackflack

So I'd go 4.5

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

go 4.5 since the plan is to get something less deep in the future. I have 6.7, 4.5AR and at somepoint will get 2.3
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pushpush

by pushpush

I have the 4.5. Previously the 4.5AR and now the new 4.5 that has dropped AR from the name.

I do a lot of climbing. I have no complaints about the 4.5 as all around wheels. They climb well. They accelerate well. They carry speed really well. Enve are a stellar group of people that stand behind their product.

My only gripe is their unsettling spooky behavior in the wind. You learn to live with that.

I'd buy them again if I had to.

cpac54

by cpac54

pushpush wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:51 pm
I have the 4.5. Previously the 4.5AR and now the new 4.5 that has dropped AR from the name.

I do a lot of climbing. I have no complaints about the 4.5 as all around wheels. They climb well. They accelerate well. They carry speed really well. Enve are a stellar group of people that stand behind their product.

My only gripe is their unsettling spooky behavior in the wind. You learn to live with that.

I'd buy them again if I had to.
Thanks everyone. I'm still leaning 4.5, but that's actually one of the only things giving me pause to consider the 3.4 over the 4.5

Living at the doorstep of the mountains, we regularly get pretty windy riding conditions with strong gusts. Would that speak more the 3.4? Or nah.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I live in a windy area (afternoons can be brutal) 4.5 are no issue.. 6.7 can be a handful at times, but ok enough for the most part.

I'm 80kg so...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I don't have the AR's but do have the SES 5.6's. They are no issue in strong winds. The push is very predictable and controlled in strong cross winds, nothing like my DT Swiss ARC 1100 65's. They're a handful in the gentlest of crosswinds.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)