Threaded to threadless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

schlafen

by schlafen

That will be a sweet setup if you end up with it.

Have you checked both fork specs?

Usually old Peugeots come with a lower trail fork, on some models, replacing it with a mid or high trail one will mess with the steering, on smaller sizes can even increase the, already unavoidable, toe overlap.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

schlafen wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:03 pm
That will be a sweet setup if you end up with it.

Have you checked both fork specs?

Usually old Peugeots come with a lower trail fork, on some models, replacing it with a mid or high trail one will mess with the steering, on smaller sizes can even increase the, already unavoidable, toe overlap.

Good point, I hadn't considered that yet.
I'll be lucky if I can find any used LOOK HCS-2 or HCS-3 forks with a 23cm+ steerer column, let alone with the fork rake that is close enough to the Peugeot
I live in France so luckily ads for used LOOK forks appear more often than everywhere else in the world, however I've been studying alternatives if I can't find exactly what I seek.

You can still buy new 1" threadless, full carbon, sub 350g forks from Columbus and a few other brands. They do look a bit chunkier than the old LOOK forks but maybe they'll look fine in a contrasting colour or finish.
I crudely measured my Peugeot fork rake and it is just over 40mm - columbus offer a 45mm rake: https://www.columbustubi.com/en/portfolio/minimal-en/
Can't find any data on the Look forks I want yet.

The LOOK HCS-3 (straight fork) have a nice fine taper and aren't too wide at the top but still a lot wider than my chrome forks

The Columbus Minimal fork is thicker all the way down in side view, the thickness at the crown doesn't look that different between the two. Perhaps a chunkier modern stem will visually balance things out. It's normal for modern bikes to have thin seat stays these days so I don't think it'll look too bad.

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

Here's a quick Photoshopped image with the Columbus Minimal fork and stem virtually fitted.
I'm not a fan of that full length curve in the fork blades.
Photoshopped Columbus Minimal + Darimo
Photoshopped Columbus Minimal + Darimo
The LOOK HSC-2 fork blades are closer to the Peugeot's, mostly straight with the curve starting around 2/3 down.

ImageImage

schlafen

by schlafen

Colnago used slim 1" carbon forks and Time supplied Bianchi with 1" carbon forks.
Personally, wouldn't trust ancient carbon.

There's also Wound Up which makes 1" carbon forks but they're not priced for budget builds ££££

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

schlafen wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 pm
Colnago used slim 1" carbon forks and Time supplied Bianchi with 1" carbon forks.
Personally, wouldn't trust ancient carbon.

There's also Wound Up which makes 1" carbon forks but they're not priced for budget builds ££££

Yes, if I come across a suitable Colnago fork, that would be ideal: https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/colnag ... rk-black-2

Really good looking fork!

I was looking at the Wound Up fork last night, they also look really nice but their weight is comparable with Vitus duralinox and titanium forks. https://woundupcomposites.com/product/road-x-1/

Unidirectional carbon fibres look a bit too modern for this build probably.

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

This Witten Titanium fork only weighs 450 grams - https://www.pedalroom.com/forums/market ... erer-36047

That could be an alternative, and would look just as bling as the original chrome fork.

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

Oof, I found some suitable Colnago forks but look at the price: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/NOS-Colnago-1-S ... 4642455595

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

The Darimo IX2 Stem is the best looking stem for weight weenie restomod builds, these pics confirm that.

schlafen

by schlafen

Darimo stuff sure looks bling.
Isn't it cheaper to just get your original fork steerer tube sorted?
I mean even needing rechroming it will prob not even touch the amount you'll be spending on the carbon bits. Also simpler and lighter, and original is still original.

Tychom

by Tychom

Just chipping in with my 2 eur-cents opinion on the Perthus project:

1. Having had an older Look 1-inch fork (an Equipe ONCE KG171) I would certainly not actively choose to put one on a bike :) They're just not great under braking and even if you feel like you can stiffen up the front end generally with an ahead setup it's gonna still feel mushy once you're on the brakes.

2. Food for thought - you're more likely to see aftermarket Time forks on a steel frame back then than a Look fork. Time Equipe Pro was quite popular back then.

3. Another option is the Mizuno 1" fork - nice looking and came on Gios frames of the day.

4. Because I'm a pedant ;) it's not an "A9 Delta", just Delta. And there's also the B10 and C11 headsets that are lighter but with Delrin parts. I had a similar Peugeot come with the B10.

5. There's an 'A9'-looking Stronglight needle-bearing aheadset out there weighing 76g (99g with the supplied top-cap & bolt) - A nice match given it's French, light and 'correct' looking.

6. Any lightweight quill stem I've tried has been a flexy mess and I've invariably gone back to a better quality one (e.g. Nitto Pearl/NP)

I guess the question really is how far do you want to go and what compromises are you willing to accept.

Personally if I wanted to lighten the front end up I would go with a Minimal over the other carbon forks (despite not liking the looks) as it seems well regarded (stiff enough, rides well), and pray the fork length and rake is close to the original fork.

If I simply wanted to stiffen things at the front but not necessarily lighten things, go with the nice innicycle headset and keep the original fork.

I think other options - second-hand carbon forks of unknown usage, slendy/flexy older carbon forks, light-weight quill stems, they all have too many compromises - But YMMV, they can also look good too :)

I built another of my Peugeots with a Time Millennium fork but that one had a steel steerer. Was stiff though.

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

schlafen wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:11 am
Darimo stuff sure looks bling.
Isn't it cheaper to just get your original fork steerer tube sorted?
I mean even needing rechroming it will prob not even touch the amount you'll be spending on the carbon bits. Also simpler and lighter, and original is still original.

Yes, I've requested a quote for that from a well known UK based frame builder, waiting for the reply. Nothing has been decided yet, I'm currently researching all options.

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

Tychom wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 am
Just chipping in with my 2 eur-cents opinion on the Perthus project:

1. Having had an older Look 1-inch fork (an Equipe ONCE KG171) I would certainly not actively choose to put one on a bike :) They're just not great under braking and even if you feel like you can stiffen up the front end generally with an ahead setup it's gonna still feel mushy once you're on the brakes.

2. Food for thought - you're more likely to see aftermarket Time forks on a steel frame back then than a Look fork. Time Equipe Pro was quite popular back then.

3. Another option is the Mizuno 1" fork - nice looking and came on Gios frames of the day.

4. Because I'm a pedant ;) it's not an "A9 Delta", just Delta. And there's also the B10 and C11 headsets that are lighter but with Delrin parts. I had a similar Peugeot come with the B10.

5. There's an 'A9'-looking Stronglight needle-bearing aheadset out there weighing 76g (99g with the supplied top-cap & bolt) - A nice match given it's French, light and 'correct' looking.

6. Any lightweight quill stem I've tried has been a flexy mess and I've invariably gone back to a better quality one (e.g. Nitto Pearl/NP)

I guess the question really is how far do you want to go and what compromises are you willing to accept.

Personally if I wanted to lighten the front end up I would go with a Minimal over the other carbon forks (despite not liking the looks) as it seems well regarded (stiff enough, rides well), and pray the fork length and rake is close to the original fork.

If I simply wanted to stiffen things at the front but not necessarily lighten things, go with the nice innicycle headset and keep the original fork.

I think other options - second-hand carbon forks of unknown usage, slendy/flexy older carbon forks, light-weight quill stems, they all have too many compromises - But YMMV, they can also look good too :)

I built another of my Peugeots with a Time Millennium fork but that one had a steel steerer. Was stiff though.
Excellent advice, thanks! Buying old carbon used forks is concerning, I agree.

https://alexscycle.com/products/mizuno- ... k-1-ma46-1

The Mizuno fork looks nice, it's 100 grams heavier than the Columbus Minimal though.

I woke up this morning with fresh eyes and looked at my Photoshop sketch, it doesn't look so bad so long as there is a thicker stem. My fork rake is 40mm - I measured more precisely today, adding 5 mm (Minimal fork comes in 45mm) should make the steering a bit more sensitive which will make it feel more like my Scott Foil, I can maybe add 10-20mm to the stem length to compensate a little.

I think that it's probably not worth changing my forks in any way from an overall weight reduction of less than 250 grams, it'll be all or nothing.

The Innicycle system is still on the cards but I will wait until my respray before deciding what to do. It'll also depend on my finances.

How long did those old Stronglight Delrin headsets last? I wonder how the material ages, they really were super light.

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

If I do go for maximum weight reduction, I think that the clear winner is the Columbus Minimal fork - it's new, it weighs less than 350 grams, the rake isn't too different from my bike, it comes in a ready to paint version so I can add some Peugeot lion stickers and paint it with matte clear coat to match the other components. The price is right too.
https://ciclicorsa.com/shop/columbus-mi ... iber-fork/
Perthus 753 small - SL-zoom.jpg

Feehliks

by Feehliks

Just asking myself:

Install a threadless headset 1 inch, use one of these shims reducing 1 1/8 to 1 inch on top, preload through this shim and clamp with the ahead stem? Provided that there is enough threaded stem above the top cap, likely requires a super slam top cap.
  • 2019 Specialized Tarmac SW SL6 Red AXS Zipp 303
    2019 Cervelo P3 II Red AXS 1x Zipp 808
    2017 Cannondale Slate Force CX1 stock
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL2
    2011 Cervelo P3 - under conversion to single speed/fixie
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

Feehliks wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:39 pm
Just asking myself:

Install a threadless headset 1 inch, use one of these shims reducing 1 1/8 to 1 inch on top, preload through this shim and clamp with the ahead stem? Provided that there is enough threaded stem above the top cap, likely requires a super slam top cap.
The threaded fork has a tendency to crack along the threads when set up like a threadless/ahead steerer, the tube walls are thinner at the bottom of the thread "valleys" and some localised stress concentrations are likely to exist there under load.
I'm not an engineer but that is my understanding why it isn't a safe solution.