rim tape - durable & light (not tubeless)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GlasNago

by GlasNago

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 pm
No tape is lighter than veloplugs. I use them in all my clincher wheels and I've never worn one out. I call them veloplugs but I don't use the originals. There are many copies out there that fit a wider variety of hole diameters. The copies actually stay better on the rim. It would be annoying to be roadside and have one original veloplug fall off unnoticed only to pop a perfectly good inner tube.
have you managed to use the plugs in rims with a non flat rim bed? the rims i have have a concave bed so the flat part still protrudes.
any advice would be appreciated
3.990 kilo cannondale supersix himod (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160600#p1549663

alcatraz

by alcatraz

GlasNago wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 pm
alcatraz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:33 pm
No tape is lighter than veloplugs. I use them in all my clincher wheels and I've never worn one out. I call them veloplugs but I don't use the originals. There are many copies out there that fit a wider variety of hole diameters. The copies actually stay better on the rim. It would be annoying to be roadside and have one original veloplug fall off unnoticed only to pop a perfectly good inner tube.
have you managed to use the plugs in rims with a non flat rim bed? the rims i have have a concave bed so the flat part still protrudes.
any advice would be appreciated
The plugs are oval shaped. Sideways they barely cover the hole (get the right size) and that I think makes them fit basically all rim profiles.

If the curvature in the rim bed is very strong the plug does get a gap under it at the ends. If you plan to run latex tubes I guess it could be a concern but I've run them with tubeless rims and latex tubes without issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com