Where is the S-Works Tarmac Made

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

On three of my last Specializeds there have been a Made In Taiwan sticker below the BB.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

sychen

by sychen

I love how ridiculous some people get with what is made somewhere with such prejudice. Made somewhere isn't a indicator of quality or attention to detail.

Misaligned Italian frames.
Bottle cage bolts holes drilled in the wrong place on well known American frame builder.
Paint issues on all sort of brands I've seen.

Don't get me wrong.. There are better and worse of any manufacturers and trends from countries or regions.. But tarnishing them all with one brush...?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

As has been previously stated, don't worry about where a is bike is made. Worry about the QC and the warranty.

I have a source in the industry that says Specialized bikes are made by Xinkai, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China. However this can never be definative, things change very quickly in the cycle industry, different parts can be made in different places, different carbon layup types and different materials can be made by different people in different places. You can also paint and/or paint and assemble bikes in different places.

It could be that all the frames are made in China, and the 'S-Works' stuff is sent to Taiwan for paint and assembly so can be legally labelled 'Made in Taiwan' or not.

I doubt anything is made in Taiwan but labelled 'Made in China' for political reasons if you can still use 'Made in Hong Kong' or 'Made in Macau'. Surely they'd get around it by calling it 'Made in Chinese Taipei' or something else.

Carbon bike manufacture is labor and emissions heavy, it's likely that mass production end up in China. Although with increasing manufacture costs in China and tariffs, big players like Giant are looking towards Eastern Europe manufacturing at least to supply the European market.

Parentesi

by Parentesi

My Venge 2020 and a S-works Tarmac SL-7 and SL-6 from friends of mine, all three have: MADE IN TAIWAN on them

And you can bet there is no bad quality control on them at all. Do not know how one can claim that, I never have seen or heard of bad quality frames from Specialized ever.
I saw plenty of Canyon Ulitmate Frames breaking on the top tube or Bottom Bracket during the transition they went from Taiwan to China as a production country.

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

Specialized is owned by Merida, which is a Taiwanese company. S-Works are all made in Taiwan.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

ichobi

by ichobi

My Sl7 s-works frame came under claimed weight, internals of the frame look clean as far as i can tell. No tolerance problem whatsoever. Rides like a dream.

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

ipenguinking wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:09 am
It's all about how it's made, not where it's made these days. I don't have a Tarmac but my MTB is a S-Works Epic which is also made in Taiwan. This thing rides like dream and craftsmanship is simply superb. I believe all S-Works are made in the same factory in Taichung Taiwan.

Btw Taiwan isn't China.
I agree 100%. Ignorance and stupidity are the evils of the world, not covid19. Who thinks that made in china means low quality is the one who thinks that all Colombians produce cocaine and all priests are good people ... wake up, the real world is different. Well made is well made. Period.

sigma

by sigma

ichobi wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:52 pm
My Sl7 s-works frame came under claimed weight, internals of the frame look clean as far as i can tell. No tolerance problem whatsoever. Rides like a dream.
What size and color was your frame?
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

smartyiak

by smartyiak

lightspeedylight wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm
I agree 100%. Ignorance and stupidity are the evils of the world, not covid19. Who thinks that made in china means low quality is the one who thinks that all Colombians produce cocaine and all priests are good people ... wake up, the real world is different. Well made is well made. Period.
What if someone doesn't associate China with low quality, but doesn't want to pruchase products from there regardless. OP didn't say why or even if he/she cared.

Could be curious, could think (incorrectly) that China makes inferior products, or could have other economic, social, or political reasons to be OK with a Taiwanese purchase, but not a Chinease purchase.

For the record, I don't believe that the ONLY thing that matters is "well made." That is as ignorant and stupid as thinking China = low quality.

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

smartyiak wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 pm
lightspeedylight wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm
What if someone doesn't associate China with low quality, but doesn't want to pruchase products from there regardless. OP didn't say why or even if he/she cared.

Could be curious, could think (incorrectly) that China makes inferior products, or could have other economic, social, or political reasons to be OK with a Taiwanese purchase, but not a Chinease purchase.

For the record, I don't believe that the ONLY thing that matters is "well made." That is as ignorant and stupid as thinking China = low quality.
With the global market that means global production, is out there somebody who can choose not to buy chinese products...regardless?????? Or just to decide not to buy from certain countries? "Styled in XXXXX", "Enginereed in XXXXX", "Assembled in XXXX"...do these labels tell you something? Well, except you choose to live within 5 miles from your house buying fresh produce, clothes, shoes, cars, bikes, chairs, made in your neighborhood, including the smartphone or the pc you are using now.... "well made" means R&D, QC, .... is there something more important when you buy something? Of course, I say "you" referring to people in general...

drexel75

by drexel75

I work in the aviation industry. Our company sub-contracted a quantity of parts out to a lower cost supplier in Poland. These business jet doors were shipped from Poland to our site in the UK and a final part label added which meant the door could be sold as final assembled in the UK which obviously had connotations for customers perceived ideas of quality.

gurk700

by gurk700

Taiwan. Ignore salty people.

dbzznlqbqft

by dbzznlqbqft

Taiwan, Province of China. (This is what mainlanders call Taiwan currently)
Taiwan, Province of the People's Republic of China (abbr = PRC). (This is what mainlanders call Taiwan in the future)
Taiwan, Province of the Republic of China (abbr = ROC). (This is what Taiwanese call themselves formally, currently)

Basically, ROC & PRC are just different dynasties of China. So to be friendly, it depends on which side of Chinese people you are talking to.

jardo

by jardo

Taiwan. unfortunately most frames are made in china or taiwan to take advantage of low cost labor and little to none regulations on emissions or waste and child labor.

profits go up while these manufacturers destroy our environment and skirt regulations in modern countries... and in the same breath complain about intellectual property rights with all the 3rd shift runs on these frames.

it’s comical how they cry about Charbon bikes and how it’s a danger to our sport when in reality, they create the problem by sending the manufacturing there where they can’t control it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Maybe they could offer overtime / build some more moulds so that they actually have some to sell.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com