Should we torque bolts to their max spec'd torque when greased

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

If you wrench for a living and used a torque wrench daily, it's certainly possible that you will learn that feel and not use it. It would be foolish to recommend to someone NOT to use a torque wrench.

Torque is a poor way of measuring clamping pressure because you never know how bad the threads are changing your reading. Angle torque is better but I have not seen it used on bikes.

Anyway, a torque wrench is the best/safest way to measure the clamping pressure but in the hands of a pro, a regular ratch will be fine.

DaveS

by DaveS

My actual recommendation is to use as short hex key for bolts that require 5-7Nm. You'd have to try awfully hard to over-do it. If you become totally dependant on a torque wrench, how do you manage to fix or change something out on the road?

by Weenie

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Agree but if you met some of the professional ham fisted mechanics I've seen and you were the Shop Foreman, you would insist on everyone using a torque wrench.

Not everyone has common sense and if you're someone that does not, a torque wrench is your friend.
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'll be honest I do it by feel often but i tend to hold the key by the elbow so cant over do it. i have been a torque wrench slave and it has lead to bar/stem/seatpost slippage. Sometimes you have to go a tight as you dare which only works with good threads.

A torquewrench is a tool. It still possible to mess up with it.

The problem here is the hamfisted.