When does it end? The “better bike”

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

My C50 on mechanical super record is all the bike a man could ever need
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

SalsaLover wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am
Of course this is all you need......until you'll ride a newer bike. At that moment, you'll feel the difference and the C50 becomes 'old', 'outdated',....

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Roel W wrote:
SalsaLover wrote:
Of course this is all you need......until you'll ride a newer bike. At that moment, you'll feel the difference and the C50 becomes 'old', 'outdated',....
I had... still will keep my C50 Image
Hucken The Fard Up !

3Pio

by 3Pio

Roel W wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:37 pm
SalsaLover wrote:

Wondering if this opinion is based on personal test Colnago C50 vs newer bike (if it's personal test hope same wheelset/tires), or just prediction that if it's newer bike it have to be better?

WheelNut

by WheelNut

"When does it end?" There are two sides to this question:
One. When will I stop needing the newest cycling equipment before I wear out what I already have? That's really a matter of your internal drive. What is it that gives you happiness? When you prioritize things that you value you will either continue to desire the newest cycling gear, understand where that desire comes from and feel good about it. I would guess since you're asking this question there is some kind of internal dialouge that says you should get new cycling gear and you shouldn't get new cycling gear. Why are those things at odds? Many wise people have said that material objects do not bring happiness.
To me the pursuit of cycling gear is a quest for the novel and a sort of discover of solutions that I can participate in. Build something, learn something, and investigate the causes. When the novelty and enorphin feedback of surprise/intrigue stops being delivered I'll stop with my interest in cycling gear.

When will the industry stop? The moment we are no longer capitalist is perhaps the only way to stop the march forward. When people stop demanding products that perform better or suit their lifestyle better than the industry can cease development. Even then though there would still be the spirit of discovery that could drive bike makers to experiment and push for something faster, better looking, or more durable. Humans are too damn curious to ever stop. As far as bike design goes things will continue to converge until a new frame material or new manufacturing technique allows for new design possibilities.

robertbb

by robertbb

Depends on your definition of 'better", and on your end goal.

If you want the absolute lightest, stiffest, the most aero, the most gears, the best braking... your quest will never end because there will always be something newer and "better".

If you're trying a bunch of different things to help you zero in on one frame (material, geometry), groupset, wheels, braking system, contact points which - as the sum of its parts - gives you the most pleasure to ride... then there will theoretically be an end-game at some point. How long it takes you to get there depends on what components you try and when.

Personally, I've settled on my preferred groupset, contact points (saddle/bar/pedals), braking system.

I have a thing for metal bikes, and I kinda like aluminium. The modern stuff is really very good. Unfortunately for me, my perfect frameset doesn't appear to exist: threaded BB, external routing, semi-endurance geometry, direct mount brakes, clearance for 30mm tyres and a ~1400g frame/fork combo. Might have to go custom...

Ymerej

by Ymerej

Hopefully it never ends!!!! As a kid bmx bikes one piece cranks shitty caliper brakes square taper BB.The whole evolution of CNC manufacturing is huge.MTB cantilever brakes sucked, V brakes much better. Disc brakes on mtb game changer thru axles dropper seat posts remember height rite??!!

I am now on disc thru axle road bike and will never look back ever ever again on
Rim brakes and chicken shit little quick releases. It’s funny I hear excuses all the time from the Luddites “If I needed to stop I would get disc brakes”
“I don’t go that fast so therefore not needed”.

I embrace best available technology it make a huge difference.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

robertbb wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:48 am
Depends on your definition of 'better", and on your end goal.

If you want the absolute lightest, stiffest, the most aero, the most gears, the best braking... your quest will never end because there will always be something newer and "better".

If you're trying a bunch of different things to help you zero in on one frame (material, geometry), groupset, wheels, braking system, contact points which - as the sum of its parts - gives you the most pleasure to ride... then there will theoretically be an end-game at some point. How long it takes you to get there depends on what components you try and when.

Personally, I've settled on my preferred groupset, contact points (saddle/bar/pedals), braking system.

I have a thing for metal bikes, and I kinda like aluminium. The modern stuff is really very good. Unfortunately for me, my perfect frameset doesn't appear to exist: threaded BB, external routing, semi-endurance geometry, direct mount brakes, clearance for 30mm tyres and a ~1400g frame/fork combo. Might have to go custom...
That's the conclusion I came to and went custom. That's probably the pinnacle of cycling where you just buy whatever you want because it works for you.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

Roel W

by Roel W

3Pio wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:42 pm
Roel W wrote:
SalsaLover wrote:

Wondering if this opinion is based on personal test Colnago C50 vs newer bike (if it's personal test hope same wheelset/tires), or just prediction that if it's newer bike it have to be better?
I've never ridden Colnago but have 3 Canyon Ultimate bikes: AL 2010, CF SL 2014 (the external seatclamp model) and latest CF SL disc 2018. Still ride all three of them alternately. All three ride different but very good, all three of them have weak and strong points (for example the oldest bike has the best geometry and handling), all three of them get regular maintenance but still have to admit that I do feel and appreciate the difference in comfort and braking power and that newer means better.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

3Pio wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:42 pm
Roel W wrote:
SalsaLover wrote:

I just need a bicycle that while being performant, is still comfortable. I have gone through many frames, groupsets and wheels.

The Colnago C50 on mechanical Super Record 11 speed 52/36 12-29 and that condenses for me the most balanced bike, it is performant, light, comfortable, beautiful, elegant, a mix of classic and modern technology, enough gears to go up the Alps or go fast on the flat lake shores.

I set it up with 50mm Carbon Tubulars on Powertap hubs to be more aero and fast, or with a set of Open Pro clinchers on Powertap hubs for long endurance rides.

Can it be "better", sure it could be lighter, more aero, stiffer, prettier, have disc brakes, electric shifters, more cogs on the rear, etc etc, etc, but I don't need that.

My bike rides, climbs, descends and stops perfectly well, in comfort and style, the numbers in my computer says I am doing well, and it looks pretty to me ( and many others ) , I have 6 other bikes including an aero Frame that rides surely faster on flat terrain, and a modern Colnago C64, that is just marginally better in all dimensions, and I am pretty sure if I hadn't the C50 that C64 would be the one ticking all the boxes. however the C50 feels nicer.

If one was competing at any level, a better bike could help to better results. but for most of us those improvements are unnecessary.

Some people draw pleasure and joy on the constant search for better, so well maybe that is a good way to spend your money into.
Hucken The Fard Up !

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If i would set up what could sway me it would be something i use often when i bike.
Personally, I can never sit at a sweet spot, just impossible for me. So i will always dork out talking saddles.

I don't think aero bikes can give me a fantastic gain either. It has to be way way more than that.
I still think of less friction in drivetrain, i also believe framesets eventually will come with some sort of suspension.
It was Canyons prediction to a few years back.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

robertbb

by robertbb

Frames already come with suspension: tyres/tubes... and to some extent, posts and saddles.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

It never ends, we are addicts. Addicts will do addict things. There will always be newer components, different designs, new shapes, new colors. Progress never stops. Our testes and our needs change. Our budgets change for the better or worse. I will never stop looking at new paintjobs, new frames, new stuff :)

I thought there wasn't much difference between a $1000 bike and a $5000 bike. I think there is if you are serious about cycling. I say it after five years and maybe 40k miles on the saddle. During that time: My view on aesthetics has changed. My views on groupsets have changed. My view on aero has changed. My views on getting aero on the bike have changed. My views on how light a bike should be have changed.

When I first started Shimano Sora was just enough for me. Now, Di2 is a must-have because it works better and it's easier to maintain. Going back to mechanical just gives me chills :) In the beginning, I didn't know wind drag was my biggest enemy. Now I'm spending most of my time getting aero because for me faster is more fun. I did not like aero road handlebars now I have aerofly 2s on my TCR. I loved my Giro Synthe, but now I love my Ballista. In the beginning, I did not care too much about the weight of the bike. Now, I am more weight conscious. I am not a complete weight weenie but I do care about the weight of the stuff that I put on my bike. I lost about 25 pounds since 2015, I am already very lean for my height and losing more weight will be unhealthy. So I go for the lighter product if I have an option. Also, every pound matters if you like climbing. In 2016 I would have thought training with HR would be good enough. But, I learned training with a power meter is far more superior. I couldn't care less about the cables sticking out until last year. There won't be an inch of visible cables on my next bike, that's non-negotiable now. These are all MY preferences and god knows what they will be in five years.

There are a lot of good comments here. What I realized after five years is that I am not the kind of person who has time and energy to upgrade things. My priorities have changed especially after having two kids. Time is so valuable now. My next bike will probably be an aero frame with fully integrated bars and stem. It will have the components that I want so I won't spend countless hours and money to upgrade things. I'm just going to go pick it up from the store and ride it.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have found that my 54s 2018 V2R rim brake purchased a year ago is the bike I like to ride the most out of the 5 that I have. Unfortunately we get snow so I cant ride it all year round. Its the first bike that I have invested some lightweight parts into as my thinking is I am getting old and I dont race any longer but I would like to have a, well superbike to me (its still hefty @6.56kg) while I am still riding. This doesnt mean I am giving it up because no matter what I ride I will always ride something as long as I can. I still have passion to ride and it doesnt have to be a superbike as long as it fits well and is a little stiffer than a noodle. So I am very happy with my V2R as its stiff, yet rides well and can accept 28mm tires though I ride 25mm, handles great and it leaves me wanting nothing else. You know you have the better bike when you look at it and think, I love my bike.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It ends when the budget (at the moment) runs out, and you start thinking about new shiny things when time goes and you feel like you can spend again

But with experience you'll be able to find the parts you want right from the start, and thereafter the temptation to upgrade components will be easy to ignore because you know what you have chosen is already perfect for your needs.

Getting new bikes is not really a consideration for me most of the time because that's a huge investment given how much top tier bikes costs. It must be really, really good to have a pull on me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com