Help me Find an Endurance Bike for next Spring.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Nikoras

by Nikoras

slashy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm
cervelo R3 ? "halfway house" between endurance and racebike ? I have a synapse too, but if I would redo stuff this might be my preferred choice.
The R5's geometry looks spot on for what I'm looking for (380 reach, 548 stack), but when I read some reviews it had a notably rough ride, and the roads where I live really suck.

Also I looked into those DT swiss wheels on the BMC roadmachine 01 FOUR. So DT Swiss basically took 1400 spline wheels and threw a 370 (3-pawl) hub on it....WHY, the rest of this bike is amazing...just why would they spec a bike as nice as that and decide to go out of their way to put crappy hubs on that. If I go with that one either I should take the lightbicycle rims (AR46) off my Defy and throw them on the new bike, or straight up buy new hubs and pay the LBS to delace/relace...which would kind of suck considering that is not a cheap bike to begin with. I may be better off with my cheap chinese rims to begin with as they are 28cm wide and would fit those Vittoria Corsa 28mm tires a little better anyways.

by Weenie

Scania123

by Scania123

Have you considered the Orbea Orca OMX? Stack 552, reach 385 in size 53. Clearance for 32 mm tyres. Cyclingtips puts it in the same category as some of the models you're looking at https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/orbea-o ... n1-killer/

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Scania123 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:16 am
Have you considered the Orbea Orca OMX? Stack 552, reach 385 in size 53. Clearance for 32 mm tyres. Cyclingtips puts it in the same category as some of the models you're looking at https://cyclingtips.com/2019/09/orbea-o ... n1-killer/
I have not, thought it's definitely on my radar now. This actually kind of looks like everything I'm looking for but 1.3 grand less than the roadmachine. Looks like I fall somewhere between the size 51 and 53 in that model. But yeah, racey geometry with room for wide tires and a compliance focused seatpost is kind of what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion :beerchug:

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Nikoras wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:03 pm
Scania123 wrote:
I have not, thought it's definitely on my radar now. This actually kind of looks like everything I'm looking for but 1.3 grand less than the roadmachine. Looks like I fall somewhere between the size 51 and 53 in that model. But yeah, racey geometry with room for wide tires and a compliance focused seatpost is kind of what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion :beerchug:
I was also between the 51 and 53 when I bought my OMR. I went with the 51 and ended up regretting it after about a year...my hips couldn't handle the massive saddle to bar drop any longer. I then switched to a 54 Cervelo R3 (similar geromety to the 53 Orca) and am much happier.

For referance, I'm 175cm tall (with a short torso/arms), and run a 75.5cm saddle height.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Nikoras wrote:
Scania123 wrote:
I was also between the 51 and 53 when I bought my OMR. I went with the 51 and ended up regretting it after about a year...my hips couldn't handle the massive saddle to bar drop any longer. I then switched to a 54 Cervelo R3 (similar geromety to the 53 Orca) and am much happier.

For referance, I'm 175cm tall (with a short torso/arms), and run a 75.5cm saddle height.
Ah you have a good 2 cm more height, and I have short legs and a longer torso and only a 76 cm inseam.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Nikoras wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:15 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Nikoras wrote:
Scania123 wrote:

Ah you have a good 2 cm more height, and I have short legs and a longer torso and only a 76 cm inseam.
If I was your height/proportions I definitiely would have stuck with the 51. But, I see that you are currently riding a medium Defy, with some (is it 10, or 20mm?) spacers...so going from that to a gemoetry of the 51 would be a significant change. The 53 would be less drasticc (-15mm stack, +8mm reach).

Nikoras

by Nikoras

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Nikoras wrote:
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Nikoras wrote:

If I was your height/proportions I definitiely would have stuck with the 51. But, I see that you are currently riding a medium Defy, with some (is it 10, or 20mm?) spacers...so going from that to a gemoetry of the 51 would be a significant change. The 53 would be less drasticc (-15mm stack, +8mm reach).
You are correct about the Defy though my stem is slammed, but I feel like going lower would still be the way to go. This is what has sort of led me to the current crop of bikes I'm looking for. Something a little bit racier now that I've gotten a feel for long distance road biking over the past year, but I really love some parts of the Defy, that being it's versatility/stability/ability to absorb road buzz.

Took a short road trip to a not-so-local Bike shop (50 min away) to check out some of the BMC's. My initial thoughts seemed to be correct, they had a 54 that was slightly too big, the seat was basically at the minimum height. Interestingly the 586 reach didn't have me feeling too stretched out, though the shop owner said I looked pretty stretched on it. I was pretty impressed with the shop. It was a bike shop that caters to triathletes/coffee shop. They had a pretty technologically advanced bike-fitting setup which they said would be free with purchase as well as tune-ups for life. As for the roadmachine itself, it's quite beautiful up close and does make an ordinary road feel like a freshly paved road, however with the 01 FOUR in black I'm a little afraid about my visibility to cars. Also the choice of throwing DTswiss 370 hubs on a ERC1400 wheelset is wierd. Also putting an alloy bar on a $7.3k bike is wierd (rest of the range is carbon). Other than that the bike seems pretty incredible, and really does hit that middle-ground of "performance endurance" as they put it in the latest GCN video where they rode for 24 hours straight on a few.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Nikoras wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:45 pm
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Nikoras wrote:
jmfreeman535 wrote:

You are correct about the Defy though my stem is slammed, but I feel like going lower would still be the way to go. This is what has sort of led me to the current crop of bikes I'm looking for. Something a little bit racier now that I've gotten a feel for long distance road biking over the past year, but I really love some parts of the Defy, that being it's versatility/stability/ability to absorb road buzz.

Took a short road trip to a not-so-local Bike shop (50 min away) to check out some of the BMC's. My initial thoughts seemed to be correct, they had a 54 that was slightly too big, the seat was basically at the minimum height. Interestingly the 586 reach didn't have me feeling too stretched out, though the shop owner said I looked pretty stretched on it. I was pretty impressed with the shop. It was a bike shop that caters to triathletes/coffee shop. They had a pretty technologically advanced bike-fitting setup which they said would be free with purchase as well as tune-ups for life. As for the roadmachine itself, it's quite beautiful up close and does make an ordinary road feel like a freshly paved road, however with the 01 FOUR in black I'm a little afraid about my visibility to cars. Also the choice of throwing DTswiss 370 hubs on a ERC1400 wheelset is wierd. Also putting an alloy bar on a $7.3k bike is wierd (rest of the range is carbon). Other than that the bike seems pretty incredible, and really does hit that middle-ground of "performance endurance" as they put it in the latest GCN video where they rode for 24 hours straight on a few.
Being oddly proportioned does make bike fitting complicated...I spent days comparing geromerties trying to find something that would work for me. But, it sounds like you are pretty much sold on the BMC and will just need to go with the 51.

Paint wise, my Orca was black, and I didn't feel like it reduced my visibily. That fact is, a driver is going to notice your clothing more so than the bike (much larger surface area), so as long as you aren't in full black kit, you'll be fine...I'll usually wear bright pink on days that I'll be on busy roads.

For the hubs, I'm not familiar with the 370, so I don't know if they really are that bad. But, I wouldn't let that keep you from getting the bike...there's always going to be something about a bike that you'll want to replace. Like you mentioned, you can either replace the hubs, or transfer over your current wheels, and sell the DTswiss's.

Hms

by Hms

I'm a little late to the thread by I wanted to chime in my $.02. Back in the spring I was in a similar situation and ultimately decided on the Roadmachine. I have the 02-1. I am very satisfied with my choice. It is indeed a great combination of comfort, speed and agility. Regarding geometry, the stack and reach do not tell the entire story. Compared to my prior ride, the seat tube is steeper and the head tube more relaxed. As a consequence, I went from a 100mm to a 120 mm stem on basically the same size frame and I don't feel quite as stretched. Hope that helps.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

I would add Cannondale Synapse, Simplon Pavo and Look 765 to the list...