Help me Find an Endurance Bike for next Spring.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
g32ecs

by g32ecs

Of all your choices Id narrow it down to the BMC or Domane.

The only thing the sets back the latter for me is the external cabling for the front disc. It's 2020, I want a clean cockpit. I do buy into their Isospeed tech though.

Roubaix - I thought this was an aggressive bike? Specialized claims it's more aero than the Tarmac as well.

I do get the thought process of these bikes though. I found myself in REAL gravel roads last summer being too adventurous on my road bike. I literally walked some sections up to almost a km and wished I had something more fitting for those roads in case I ended up on them. Thankfully not once I punctured.
Last edited by g32ecs on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Scania123

by Scania123

Have you considered the Domane in H1.5?

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Scania123 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 am
Have you considered the Domane in H1.5?
I looked for it. I went to the customization thing and there was a "pro" option for the frame without much extra info. It bumps up the price to 8.3k but it's been something I've been interested in.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:11 am
Of all your choices Id narrow it down to the BMC or Domane.

The only thing the sets back the latter for me is the external cabling for the front disc. It's 2020, I want a clean cockpit. I do buy into their Isospeed tech though.

Roubaix - I thought this was an aggressive bike? Specialized claims it's more aero than the Tarmac as well.

I do get the thought process of these bikes though. I found myself in REAL gravel roads last summer being too adventurous on my road bike. I literally walked some sections up to almost a km and wished I had something more fitting for those roads in case I ended up on them. Thankfully not once I punctured.
I thought the roubaix was as well, but looking at the geometry that stack height seems at the high end for endurance bikes.

TheRich

by TheRich

Nikoras wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:32 am
TheRich wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am
The Domane is also effectively a gravel bike with all of its tire clearance, which makes it easier to increase that 5% if you ever wanted to.
Domane and Roubaix seem to be the best for gravel in this category. It seems like every reviewer is ready to defend the isospeed suspension for the Domane. I'm still leaning towards the Endurace or Roadmachine though. The Synapse seems fine, similar to the endurace, but I think I like the look of the frame better on the endurace.

I was impressed...surprised, really...at the rear end compliance of my Boone (with the original isospeed) compared to the previous generation Synapse with the same tires/wheels. The front feels slightly better, but the rear literally felt like my back tire was low (as in "this is too smooth, is something wrong?).

It really does work, but if the bike doesn't excite you, don't get it.

cerro

by cerro

g32ecs wrote:
I borrowed a Roubaix Expert Di2 for a week this summer and tried it both on fast crit rides with friends, on my regular gravelloop with 33mm Schwalbe Rocket Ron and did a 470km 2-day touring. Impressed that it handled all so good and was always fun and agile :)
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

What's the fattest tire you'll run?
32c - groomed dirt road /slow gravel speed on hardpack / terrible soft surface
35c - OK gravel speed on hardpack / terrible soft surface
38c+ - Fast gravel speed on hardpack / do-able soft surface

I'd go BMC roadmachine. Looks cool and the higher spec bikes allow you to move the stem up/down a bit. I think it'll do 33c, so you're OK for dirt road / groom gravel.

Otherwise - there's really no downside to using a 2x gravel bike as a road bike.
Last edited by jfranci3 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morrisond

by morrisond

I would go for the Domane and run 38mm Compass Barlow Pass on it.

Very fast on the Road and great on gravel.

I run them on my Gravel bike and Zero issue keeping up with Buddies on Road bikes. They might slow you down .1mph - might and that is .1mph not 1 MPH, just a tiny extra bit of effort on the pedals.

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

I would get Canyon and 2nd set of wheels to make it easy to swap when needed.
like owning 2 bikes

NordicSal

by NordicSal

I just got an Endurace CF SL Disc Di2 coming from a 2016 Domane ALR 4 (Tiagra) Disc.

The Endurace is far more racy, and much more to my liking overall. I did run the Domane on 35 mm Schwalbe G-one allrounds though, no issues whatsoever.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My vote is for anything that doesn't have a mechanical suspension gimmic. Sooner or later it will piss you off. Just look at what has come and gone in road frames. If you were stuck on 25 or 28mm tires on horrible surface then OK, it's worth a gamble. But with room for 30 - 32 tires in a primarily road application, all you get with a suspension system is extra weight and some unknown risk of failure.

I have a Synapse which I use as a fender bike. It does everything well. My wife has a Focus Paralane for wet road duties. It's a good bike if you are limited to one bike only. Room for 36mm tires. Very tall front end which seems like it would suit you.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

cerro wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:02 pm
g32ecs wrote:
I borrowed a Roubaix Expert Di2 for a week this summer and tried it both on fast crit rides with friends, on my regular gravelloop with 33mm Schwalbe Rocket Ron and did a 470km 2-day touring. Impressed that it handled all so good and was always fun and agile :)

This is good info. Perhaps the roubaix expert should be higher on my list? The futureshock 2.0 seems nice where you can essentially turn it off and make it stiffer.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 pm
What's the fattest tire you'll run?
32c - groomed dirt road /slow gravel speed on hardpack / terrible soft surface
35c - OK gravel speed on hardpack / terrible soft surface
38c+ - Fast gravel speed on hardpack / do-able soft surface

I'd go BMC roadmachine. Looks cool and the higher spec bikes allow you to move the stem up/down a bit. I think it'll do 33c, so you're OK for dirt road / groom gravel.

Otherwise - there's really no downside to using a 2x gravel bike as a road bike.
TBH I plan on running a 28mm tire. I might pop on some fatter tires to my defy's rims and quick swap for some gravel if the mood stikes me, but to be honest I'm still mostly a road rider.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:47 am
My vote is for anything that doesn't have a mechanical suspension gimmic. Sooner or later it will piss you off. Just look at what has come and gone in road frames. If you were stuck on 25 or 28mm tires on horrible surface then OK, it's worth a gamble. But with room for 30 - 32 tires in a primarily road application, all you get with a suspension system is extra weight and some unknown risk of failure.

I have a Synapse which I use as a fender bike. It does everything well. My wife has a Focus Paralane for wet road duties. It's a good bike if you are limited to one bike only. Room for 36mm tires. Very tall front end which seems like it would suit you.
As much as everyone defends the Domane, there's a reason the BMC road machine is so appealing. To me that's just taking all the compliance optimazitions you can and fitting it to a classical road frame.

by Weenie

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Have tried the last Domane and ended up buying a Roubaix. The Roubaix feels like a race bike, but with all day comfort. Handling is extremely balanced and the future shock adds traction in bumpy corners. Setting top 10 times out of 20k down Mount Diablo with it.
The low stack headset cap and a negative stem will get you pretty damn low.