Help me Find an Endurance Bike for next Spring.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Company stock's doing well and after riding a coworker's Canyon Ultimate with Di2, I really want to go for an upgrade from my Giant Defy 2.

The type of riding I do: 50-70 miles/ride every weekend where I pick a new route off ridewithgps or Komoot. Sometimes I'll dabble in gravel. Connecticut roads in the US which are poor quality and hilly. Every once in awhile a charity ride.

What I'm looking for: A racey endurance bike. I really like running wide tires on the crappy roads around here. This also allows me more access to some of the gravel roads I find myself on a good amount. Right now I'm finding my Giant Defy (medium) quite comfortable with a couple spacers on top of the 100mm stem. I reckon I could go a little more aggressive in geometry and be fine.

I'm 173 cm tall, 77cm inseam 70kg

Bikes I'm Considering (in order of current consideration)
1. Canyon Endurace SLX CF 8.0 (small): Reach 376, Stack 557
Pros: One of the racier options in the endurance category. One of the lightest options @ 7.4kg. About 2 grand cheaper than competing bikes would give me enough to throw on a power meter. :D
Cons: I know I feel much better with a 100mm stem. This one has a 90mm integrated cockpit which the rep told me they won't switch out. Also they're not available and the 2020 model may be different. It's been noted to be less comfy than competitors, though this isn't a huge concern for me.

2. BMC Road Machine 01 FOUR (51cm): Reach 382, Stack 541
Pros: THE most aggressive geometry in the category. Reviewers go on and on about the build quality and road feel. Achieves excellent compliance through regular old engineering without gimmicks
Cons: Kinda pricey, kinda heavy. I fall inbetween sizes a little too.

3. Trek Domane SLR 7 (54cm): Reach 374, Stack 575
Pros: I think these look pretty spiffy. The isospeed suspension frame seems to work well. I'm a sucker for the little hidden compartment in the frame. Overall a middle of the road endurance bike with a lot of tech that people seem to be very happy with.
Cons: That stack height is creeping up. Quite heavy for the price at 8.4kg. Also kinda pricey

All these are Ultegra Di2

I've also looked at the Specialized Roubaix expert, but that seems too relaxed. Also have considered another high spec Defy, but I'm really not a fan of the proprietary stem that looks like a Fisher Price toy.
Last edited by Nikoras on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Have you thought about these..
Grail

Inflight
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

I might be overstating my penchant for gravel It's more like 95% road 5% gravel but I like to have the option. Haven't really considered a gravel bike. I think I would probably branch out the other way to the Canyon Ultimate if I were to switch the type of bike.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Love my Ultimate disc
It's firm, but lively, light and fun :thumbup:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

The Ultimate and the Endurace are quite close in geometry. The wider tire clearance and compliance focused seat post would make me lean towards the endurace.
compare.PNG

jch3n

by jch3n

Why not just upgrade your Defy with a Di2 groupset and some nice wheels?

TheRich

by TheRich

The Domane is also effectively a gravel bike with all of its tire clearance, which makes it easier to increase that 5% if you ever wanted to.

velov

by velov

Cannondale Synapse

oeympe

by oeympe

Nikoras wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:43 am
I might be overstating my penchant for gravel It's more like 95% road 5% gravel but I like to have the option.Haven't really considered a gravel bike. I think I would probably branch out the other way to the Canyon Ultimate if I were to switch the type of bike.
Then you should think about the Focus Paralane, the frame is very close to their Izalco Max range (their road frame) with some differences to respond to gravel needs.
https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/bikes/road/paralane

H.S: My presentation topic will follow in the next days, don't worry.

jkonst

by jkonst

Less well known in the road world, but the Fezzari Empire could fit the bill. No stock Di2 build (SRAM wireless or Ultegra wired are listed), but someone mentioned they reached out and Fezzari said they could do one (they seem to be willing to customize just about any part). 32c tire clearance (not quite Domane levels) and seems to be designed for a comfortable ride, but you also can pick a more aggressive fit during the purchase process. Integrated front-end like the Trek/BMC models you're looking at, as well. I was quoted 16.5 pounds/7.5kg for the Team Edition (SRAM Red 12s).

Can't quite tell how price would compare to the Endurace you're interested in (I don't see that exact model you listed for sale on their US site) - but almost certainly you can get in a good amount under the BMC/Trek models you're looking at, given their SRAM Red setup goes for $7,500. I've heard they do Black Friday deals, too, for what it's worth... I'm probably going to jump on one then, if so.

https://www.fezzari.com/empire

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I would also add a Specialized Roubaix to your list the Future shock works really good at smoothing out the road and the new ones use a thread BB.
Ride fast Take chances

cerro

by cerro

velov wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:56 am
Cannondale Synapse
+1 or the new Specialized Roubaix. Both takes tires up to 35mm. The Synapse has a stack of 550 in size 52, if you want that low you need to get the team frame in size 53 from Specialized Roubaix.

I'm planning to build a Synapse myself for all road riding coming from a Specialized Venge Pro and an Diverge E5.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

I've been happy with my Endurace SLX 8.0 Disc. I was tempted to buy the BMC Road Machine but the lower cost of the Canyon is what won me over.

TLN

by TLN

cerro wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:01 pm
velov wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:56 am
Cannondale Synapse
+1 or the new Specialized Roubaix. Both takes tires up to 35mm. The Synapse has a stack of 550 in size 52, if you want that low you need to get the team frame in size 53 from Specialized Roubaix.

I'm planning to build a Synapse myself for all road riding coming from a Specialized Venge Pro and an Diverge E5.
I think it's all about if you want that specialized fork shock or not. I decided that less is more, and picked up nice synapse recently
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nikoras

by Nikoras

TheRich wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am
The Domane is also effectively a gravel bike with all of its tire clearance, which makes it easier to increase that 5% if you ever wanted to.
Domane and Roubaix seem to be the best for gravel in this category. It seems like every reviewer is ready to defend the isospeed suspension for the Domane. I'm still leaning towards the Endurace or Roadmachine though. The Synapse seems fine, similar to the endurace, but I think I like the look of the frame better on the endurace.