cervelo r5 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

Daveke wrote:
achin wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:17 pm
You know what the MSRP will likely be around?
I know I've ordered a full SRAM Force etap bike with Quarq and Carbon wheels for 7699 RRP in euro's

Still has BBRight as far as I know.

This bike is set away as Cervelo's most comfortable bike in the whole line of bikes.
Sounds like an updated C- Series (Caladonia)....

by Weenie

Stueys

by Stueys

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:04 pm
Daveke wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:48 pm
Exactly, but some other features too you haven't seen from a picture ;)
Cervelo dropping BBright? :lol:
Don't mind bbright, like all PF if it's manufactured within a decent tolerance it works

Daveke

by Daveke

Might just be right there ;p

According to our sales rep the market for a lightweight climbing bike is getting much smaller so they're focusing more on endurance/comfort with a biketagline of 'modern road'

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Stueys wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:15 pm
Don't mind bbright, like all PF if it's manufactured within a decent tolerance it works
Me neither (and out of 4 Cervelos I've had, none have really had problems), just would have not been really surprised given the recent moves by Trek & Specialized.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

maquisard

by maquisard

I am the same, I have a 2012 Cervelo R5 that has probably 50,000 km on it and the BB has only been changed once on the Rotor 3D+ crankset. Albeit it was only ridden mostly in good weather. I never have had any issues.

BBright made sense when they used Rotor and 30mm axle. Now Cervelo are mostly speccing the bikes with 24mm axle Shimano cranksets. T47 would be the best and most flexible way forward!

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Haha, Cervelo Caledonia banner @ Cyclingnews, but the link leads to nowhere ;) Now it's confirmed how the bike will be named ;)

Edit: now on Cervelo's site.
Attachments
cc.png
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

Ypuh

by Ypuh

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 pm
The upcoming bike and the Aspero are indicators that all updates will have more emotive names.

S* successor -> sexy name
R* successor -> sexy name
current S3 -> temporary rename to S-Series -> phased out
current R3/R2 -> temporary rename to R-Series -> phased out

Idk maybe.
Seems about right with the Caledonia just being announced. R2/R3/R5, S3/S5 etc. will probably all disappear with new (top) bikes getting fancy names. Honestly, I couldn't care less, as long as they keep building quality frames without any weak spots/defects.

The BBRight system ain't perfect, but compared to many other pressfit systems it's not so bad. Downside is the shitty manufacturing of it.

Caledonia stupid release video. You're seeing shit in here, but it's out there now: https://youtu.be/Ab9V5f8mnqc
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

there is a cycling tips video and also onbe video from the canadian cycling mag on youtube. I like the bike a lot. looks like they copied the roadmachine a fair bit though.
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

This new Caledonia just makes my decision between this and an Aspero that much harder, my heart says I will be riding more gravel than road but my head says if I buy a new bike I will still want to use it on the weekly club runs

robeambro

by robeambro

Ypuh wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:12 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 pm
The upcoming bike and the Aspero are indicators that all updates will have more emotive names.

S* successor -> sexy name
R* successor -> sexy name
current S3 -> temporary rename to S-Series -> phased out
current R3/R2 -> temporary rename to R-Series -> phased out

Idk maybe.
Seems about right with the Caledonia just being announced. R2/R3/R5, S3/S5 etc. will probably all disappear with new (top) bikes getting fancy names. Honestly, I couldn't care less, as long as they keep building quality frames without any weak spots/defects.

The BBRight system ain't perfect, but compared to many other pressfit systems it's not so bad. Downside is the shitty manufacturing of it.

Caledonia stupid release video. You're seeing shit in here, but it's out there now: https://youtu.be/Ab9V5f8mnqc
Makes perfect sense that they went to Scotland to film the release video for the Caledonia.. A bit weird to see them ride the same roads as I do.. Almost had me like the bike.. Alas, this new segment, "endurance with a pinch of gravel and super fat tires clearance" fails to capture my attention :roll:

Maybe it's just me, but going for "a long ride" can be done on nearly any bike (granted, if you go on a full aero bike with 60mm deep wheels and 23mm tires, maybe not the best eh). Small patches of gravel or rough roads can be handled with any bike.. And if it's a mostly gravel riding, there's gravel bikes already. I mean, why not have another bike lineup covering rides with 75% gravel and 25% tarmac then?

Bikes like the Domane or Roubaix at least have shock absorbers, double IsoSpeed, they're not just a normal bike with slightly different geometry.. Not that it'd change much the equation, which is, no need to blur the lines between road and gravel, especially when road nowadays can anyway fit at least 30mm tires..
Last edited by robeambro on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

double

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

In the end rear IsoSpeed is less important on a bike like the Domane than the Madone. The Domane can achieve a plush ride with fat tires. I think the Cervelo makes plenty of sense as an N=1...so does the BMC Roadmachine. It’s racy enough to ride in your chaingang hammerfest group ride. It’s got just enough tire clearance for most gravel. I could even see odd Cervelo fans choosing the Caledonia for CX over the Aspero.

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am
In the end rear IsoSpeed is less important on a bike like the Domane than the Madone. The Domane can achieve a plush ride with fat tires. I think the Cervelo makes plenty of sense as an N=1...so does the BMC Roadmachine. It’s racy enough to ride in your chaingang hammerfest group ride. It’s got just enough tire clearance for most gravel. I could even see odd Cervelo fans choosing the Caledonia for CX over the Aspero.
As an N=1 sure, but the bike is marketed - in their words - for long rides, where the roads gets bumpy and there might be some gravel sections. Which is a non-segment to me.

That said, in order to make the most of bikes like the Caledonia you need a spare set of wheels (or change tyres whenever needed, but if you do gravel you most possibly will be on tubeless..). Otherwise I doubt one could keep up with the "chaingang hammerfest group rides" on gravel tires, or at least I can't.

I might be silly, but when you can fit 32mm in most race bikes (Emonda although not nominally, SS Evo I guess, etc) not to mention if you go for a spare 650b wheelset, isn't it the same there - ie, you can achieve N=1 by getting a race bike and a spare wheelset? Sure, it won't handle the worst gravel, just like the Caledonia might be a tad not racey enough, but point being, it's a very similar range of applications.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:23 am
Maybe it's just me, but going for "a long ride" can be done on nearly any bike (granted, if you go on a full aero bike with 60mm deep wheels and 23mm tires, maybe not the best eh).
Even that's not true. I regularly ride 200k on my Cervelo S3 with 58mm deep wheels and 24mm tyres. Also have a steel bike with 28mm tyres on wide rims, so wouldn't hesitate to grab that one if comfort was an issue.

Don't have experience with other aero bikes, but the S3 is quite comfortable to the point I still ride without gloves (admitted, I usually forget them). No trouble to go for another ride the next day. Don't trust everything that the manufacturers and media are writing because then you wouldn't be able to go out the door without buying a new niche bike before every ride.
Last edited by Ypuh on Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

by Weenie

Aeo

by Aeo

Ypuh wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:12 am
Why are they bad-mouthing the Cafe du Cycliste Jaqueline gilet. Iconic piece of kit if you run gilets.