cervelo r5 2021

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

bespoke

by bespoke

Daveke wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 pm
They don't even name it the C anymore. The category-phrase sounds like 'modern road' bike instead of aero, endurance etc.
Judging the specs, I found it interested enough plus very attractive to immediately order it. I found it as sexy, and maybe even better, then the 'new SL7'
Sounds cool!
Did they say when it was due to land?
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:23 pm
Unniti wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pm
Long and low isn't.... and R5 is probably the best contender for me.
I hate the looks of bikes with 20-30mm of spacers and 90mm stems.
Even worse if it's an aero bike.
And to make matters worse most aero bikes are even longer and lower than their all around brothers.
To obtain any aero gains, more than a low position on a "regular" road bike, i guess you should rub your nose on the front tire.
My nose never rub the front tire. But the front tip of my helmet once did, in a sprint when I don't know what I'm doing and simply try to be as low as possible. Once I'm more mature and care about safety, I never sprint without looking up the road again.

by Weenie

Daveke

by Daveke

bespoke wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 pm
Daveke wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 pm
They don't even name it the C anymore. The category-phrase sounds like 'modern road' bike instead of aero, endurance etc.
Judging the specs, I found it interested enough plus very attractive to immediately order it. I found it as sexy, and maybe even better, then the 'new SL7'
Sounds cool!
Did they say when it was due to land?
Somewhere in between 21st and 27th of July. Around and about the same date as the SL7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Looks really good...think every other semi-aero bike, but with 2cm more frame stack for amateur cyclists and more tire clearance. No gimmicks. The BMC Roadmachine seems like the closest comparison.

maquisard

by maquisard

What sort of tire clearance? Cyclocross bike a like, up to about 35 or so?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The AXS version of the new bike comes stock with Zipp 303S's (hookless & 23mm internal) and 28mm Corsa Control TLRs, so you can guess the real size of the tyres on the rims; there should be a ton of clearance.
Ex-bikes: Cube Aerium C68 SLT 2018 / Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596

bespoke

by bespoke

I was wondering if it would come with the new Santa Cruz wheels?
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

Found this on the Northern Ride site (https://www.northernride.com/Cervelo-R- ... s/2011.htm)...Looks like a bit of renaming/rebranding going on at Cervelo...Also, it looks like no more rim brake frames for 2020. They're betting on disc moving forward. Glad I picked up a 2019 R5 rim frame!!

Rebranding of R/S3 to R/S-Series
Cervelo are known for their high quality frame production with their pro tour riders selecting bikes across the range to ride at the highest level. As pro riders have been seen across models Cervelo are in the process of re-branding their '3' range to the 'Series' range. What does this mean? Moving forward the Cervelo R3 will be know as the Cervelo R-Series and the Cervelo S3 will be know as the Cervelo S-Series. This is to demonstrate the frames are top level frames, ridden by pro riders and comparable to many other pro level frames from other brands. The introduction of this change can be seen already on the new Sram AXS models in the 2020 Cervelo S-Series Force AXS and 2020 Cervelo R-Series Force AXS.

So the rebranding of the R-Series and S-Series range will increase as the years progress but they will still ulilise the '3' level frams, just demonstrate their high quality. If you are however looking for the highest quality, arguably a step above the rest of the brands this is where the '5' level frames fit in; the newest technology and highest quality aspirational products available from Cervelo.
Click here to see all 2020 Cervelo models.

https://www.northernride.com/Cervelo-R- ... s/2011.htm

Last edited by yellowbear1021 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abonjour

by abonjour

That branding is nothing new, it's been going on since the back end of last year, possibly longer? It never made sense to me to have an R/S/P 2&3 since they were identical frames just with different build specs (and exceptionally subtle fork difference in the case of the P3).

I would appreciate the change but they really cocked it up with the PX series where they made it the opposite way around. i.e. the new PX series is the top of the range and the older P5x is the 'lesser' model... why they didn't call the PX series simply a 'new' P5x i have no idea!

yellowbear1021

by yellowbear1021

abonjour wrote:That branding is nothing new, it's been going on since the back end of last year, possibly longer? It never made sense to me to have an R/S/P 2&3 since they were identical frames just with different build specs (and exceptionally subtle fork difference in the case of the P3).

I would appreciate the change but they really cocked it up with the PX series where they made it the opposite way around. i.e. the new PX series is the top of the range and the older P5x is the 'lesser' model... why they didn't call the PX series simply a 'new' P5x i have no idea!
I ride all surfaces (mainly MTB) and have only started to look at Cervelo again as it's time to find a replacement for my 2014 R5. So it's all new to me. I won't buy current year bikes anymore my arse is too old. But yeah, all this rebranding seems a bit confusing. Would be good if Cervelo had a page explaining all this...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The upcoming bike and the Aspero are indicators that all updates will have more emotive names.

S* successor -> sexy name
R* successor -> sexy name
current S3 -> temporary rename to S-Series -> phased out
current R3/R2 -> temporary rename to R-Series -> phased out

Idk maybe.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

^^^ you may be onto something here (I don't know either, but seems logical with the movements Cervelo is making).
Except they for sure are going to carry the P series name for quite a while simply because these bikes definitely aren't upgraded by the standard 3 year cycle, unless they simply do a running sexy-name upgrade for the P5 Disc, P series disc, Px disc etc
Ex-bikes: Cube Aerium C68 SLT 2018 / Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596

young

by young

if you haven't already seen it. new 2021 team colorway

Ypuh

by Ypuh

For a team kit, I always think the Sunweb versions look quite good with subdued sponsor logos. By default I would say no to team bikes, but this one (as well as last one) are alright.

The red/black/white color helps though.
Cervelo S3 - 7.35kg

by Weenie

MRM

by MRM

For a team specific colorway, that is extremely nice!