campagnolo jockey wheel bushing to grease or not to grease

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JoO

by JoO

Title says it all: should I grease the busing in the jockey wheels or not. Does not seem greased from the factory.

Miller

by Miller

One job I hate is cleaning oily crap off rear derailleurs. If I'm being diligent I take the lower cage off and clean everything individually. When I reassemble, yes I do grease or oil the bushings. Why wouldn't you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

+1

I wonder why Campagnolo is not using real bearings in their jockey wheels.

JoO

by JoO

Pulley wheels with bearings like tacx don’t shift as good

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I always lube the RD pulleys no matter what RD I am running. I was using a silicone spray lubricant but it didnt last long as the pulleys would start to squeak. Switched over to Loctite Syn Super lube and it seems to get me through the week without the squeaking. As long as you dont spray a huge amount the mess is minimal and I give them a cleaning every so often when it does get gunky.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

LewisK

by LewisK

+1
I still have some of the Ceramic Speed pulley wheel oil left, so I use that which seems to do the trick!

wilwil

by wilwil

I use Purple Extreme lube. Definitely not grease.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Had this same dilemna...used oil from silica.

If there is a better recommendation..would be happy to know.

c60rider

by c60rider

No idea what the issue is, I've just put a bit of normal bearing grease in there, the tolerances are so tight most of it just gets pushed out as you slide the bush in. Then I make sure there's a bit either end as I put the cover on. Worrying about it being grease or oil or nothing is a bit over the top. Any part that moves almost certainly needs some amount of lubricant in there. I put grease in then strip it down and do it again annually for all of my bikes. Never had squeaking jockey wheels or any issue that resulted in me needing to ever replace them or parts of them.

c60rider

by c60rider

kervelo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:59 pm
+1

It's cheaper and bearings don't make any difference to the shift performance more than likely. The old C-Record jockey wheels had adjustable bearings in the jockey wheels but that group was massively over engineered just because they could not that it was necessarily needed. The same is true with jockey wheels a simple bush works just as well as bearings. I'm sure you couldn't measure any performance difference at all using bearings or bushes.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

The bushes on the campy 12s jockey wheels has 2 grooves each. Not sure if to reduce friction or to hold lubricant. Just an observation.

kervelo

by kervelo

c60rider wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:05 pm
kervelo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:59 pm
+1

It's cheaper and bearings don't make any difference to the shift performance more than likely. The old C-Record jockey wheels had adjustable bearings in the jockey wheels but that group was massively over engineered just because they could not that it was necessarily needed. The same is true with jockey wheels a simple bush works just as well as bearings. I'm sure you couldn't measure any performance difference at all using bearings or bushes.
The shift performance for a well lubed Campy jockey wheel may be similar, but there is a huge difference in maintainability. The simple Campagnolo jockey wheels work fine for fair weather weekend riders, but not so much if you ride also (or mostly) in miserable weather conditions. You need to take the Campy jockey wheels apart much more frequently than some better quality jockey wheels with bearings (think Sram Eagle axs xx1 or even Sram Force 1).

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Are the Campag bushes that bad? I usually get a couple of years out of the shimano ones (105 or ultegra on the all weather bike, in Scandinavia) then all they need is a clean and some fresh lube. it's almost always the teeth wearing out that kills them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Oil (like chain lube)