headtube problem

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bullthee

by bullthee

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my tarmac SL6 Disc's headtube.
It has 1,5cm spacers on top, but after a lot of back issues and surgery, it seems to be to short, and i need to be up higher on the headtube.
Offcourse the top is sawed off...

My dealer said that the only option is a new fork, but priced 430€, this seems a little high priced at the moment...

I've swapped out my 11cm stem with a 9cm and put it upside down, 6 degree angle, and this does help, but i really don't like the aesthetics...

Are there any other options? headtube-adaptors maybe? or stems that do look good upside downwards....

Thanks!
Last edited by bullthee on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slashy

by slashy

the original aerofly handlebar ? (25mm rise)

by Weenie

bullthee

by bullthee

slashy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:27 pm
the original aerofly handlebar ? (25mm rise)
Maybe not a bad idea!!

Should i use a 10cm stem with that -6degrees to get the same position than the 9cm +6degrees?

slashy

by slashy

well , depends on the handlebar reach for your current bar and the aerofly one.
if they are identical you should be more looking at 90 -6 vs 9 +6 (that seems closer than 100-6 vs 9+6)

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

look for used fork on eBay, pretty sure older sl5 fork could fit as well

LewisK

by LewisK

The cheapest and easiet way would be a stem change, but as you already pointed out, a positive rise stem doesn't look great! However it is considerably cheaper than a new fork!

slashy

by slashy

I concur that a new second hand fork is best

Bluechip

by Bluechip

There are steerer tube exteners but I wouldn't recommend them. If you don't like the looks of the rising stem then I think you know what you need to do. Bite the bullet and get a new (used) fork.

spud

by spud

while you might not enjoy the looks, flipping a stem is both way cheaper than buying a new fork, as well as structurally superior to utilizing a big stack of spacers.

hannawald

by hannawald

430 euros is quite ok for a new fork, i would have expected it even more expensive. Maybe you can trade your fork on ebay for something..seems to me better than buying new bars for 200 euros or more..than try 3cm of spacers and 100mm stem..

Btw have you tried 90mm stem with negative rise? You changed both stack and reach..maybe just shortening the reach may be sufficient..

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Obviously not a cheap option, but it sounds like you need to make the switch to a bike with endurance-based geometry...back issues and Tarmacs don't go together very well.

DaveS

by DaveS

Changing from a -6, 11cm to a +6, 9cm is a large decrease in reach and a large change in height. If you're mainly interested in changing height, the +6 angle makes sense, but even with the same 11cm length the reach will also be shorter. The flipped up stem may not look pretty, but neither would 30mm of spacer.

bullthee

by bullthee

Thanks for all the replies!

- I've already tested with the 90mm -6 degrees rise, but this didn't have the same positive effect as 90mm +6degrees.

- Second hand SL6 disc fork isn't on ebay or other secondhand markets yet...

- aerofly handlebar wouldn't be my pick after all, considering +-280€ is not that big a difference as the 430€ priced fork.

How many mm's of spacers would i have to use with a 100mm -6 degrees to have the same position as the current 90mm +6 degrees with 15mm spacers?

hannawald

by hannawald

There is a tool for it:
http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

You will need about 30mm of spacers for similar height,
but reach will be about 1cm longer because of longer stem.

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Function over looks. You might after riding find yourself wanting to get lower but you need a height you can start from. Too low is a bad place to start.