Tarmac SL6 Bottom Bracket

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Lnkylmy

by Lnkylmy

I purchased a 2019 Tarmac Pro Disc last year. I keep getting a ticking sound from the bottom bracket when I’m climbing or sprinting. Anything where I push hard. My lbs has repacked the bracket twice now. I understand it’s a press fit, but does anyone have any ideas how to solve this. Does anyone who built up the frame set have any recommendations on a particular brand or model. It came with a Praxis PF 30 BB.
Thanks

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Have you pulled the seat post out? Can often be the answer.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

blehargh

by blehargh

Have you ruled out other items too? Grease your chainring bolts, tighten your pedals, retighten your pedal cleats?

Ymerej

by Ymerej

I ultrasonic cleaned my ultegra cassette
And put a drop of oil on all the rivet pins.
The creaking/clicking stoped for awhile
But it’s back again. I’m going to try anti seize next. Check your cassette it might not even be your BB.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

You need to locate the click. Out of own experience, it can be everything from saddle rails, topcap, QR/TA, pedals, rd hanger ... And it goes on. Every joint can click, tick or creak. Every joint.

spud

by spud

Ymerej wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:43 am
I ultrasonic cleaned my ultegra cassette
And put a drop of oil on all the rivet pins.
The creaking/clicking stoped for awhile
But it’s back again. I’m going to try anti seize next. Check your cassette it might not even be your BB.
had a clicking in my bike, isolated it down to my drivetrain, wouldn't happen every revolution, two clicks/rev, then silence for 2 or 3 revolutions, then 2 clicks per rev. The only thing that fixed it was switching out to a new DA cassette.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Funny places were i had click from, which sounded like BB problems:
- top cap to stem interface
- saddel rail to saddle base interface
- pedal cleats (look delta and speedplay)
- pedal to crank interface
- left crank arm hollowtech preload screw
- BB radial bearings because of too much preload (toasted the bearings)
- BB AC bearings without sufficient preload (which comes in combination with preload screw after around 2k-3k km)
- Quick release to dropout interface
- valve rattle that sounded like BB ticking

Can't remember more...

But, in essence, carbon frames are just bike bell's which submit any sound from almost anywhere and it all freaking sounds like BB problems (which pressfit is not without sadly)

I don't know if spec recommends loctite for this frame, but check with them. It might be the only solution if frame tolerances are just unlucky.

Therefore, try the easy/non evasive stuff first, like greasing all contact points with either grease or dry lube (depends on application). Bedst would be to lube one thing and than test ride.

I don't have disc's, but heard from others that touching rotors can be a source also (especially when force is applied because the small tolerances not always are enough with unlucky frame flex)

Dan112

by Dan112

Hi had the same issue with a praxis crackset my bike was only purchased this year and already had the dreaded bb creak I've had it before on another bike a cube attain so new what it was.

I took it into my bike lbs as I wanted a bb that the press fit cups lock into each other like the hope BBs. However as the praxis crankset uses it's own M30 system you cant get a locking pressfit bb so I'm told.

I ended up selling the praxis, my bike was meant to come with the ultegra crankset but my lbs said there was a fire at the factory so a load of bike manufacturers put praxis cranksets on instead.

Anyway I've now got the ultegra R8000 with the hope PF41 BB that the cups thread into one another and the clicking / creaking is gone :) unfortunately the hope system (I believe token do one aswel) only works with 24mm spindles so the praxis wont work being 30mm.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191105-070112_Samsung Internet.jpg

Beaver

by Beaver

First step is to have someone cycle next to you, who might locate the source.

If it is the bb, make sure your lbs uses a bit of glue, grease won't work with pressfit cups for long, as it is pressed out sooner or later.

It's meant to be glued in to eliminate tolerances:

Other options are cups that thread together (e.g. Wheels MFG) or one piece bb (e.g. Hambini).

wilwil

by wilwil

Rear mech hanger. Put grease on the interface with the frame.

Lnkylmy

by Lnkylmy

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll start working on my bike this week.

by Weenie