SMP Saddle Stitching FFS

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Love the SMP Drakon, but the @#%!&$ stiching is eating my shorts.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?. I though the latest production had solved this issue but no. If you look at the photo below, the spot that causes the problem is the P in SMP. (EDIT: I was off on the problem area - on closer inspection it appears that the part of the saddle that is causing the problem is the stitching of the word Drakon).

Last edited by Mr.Gib on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Over what kind of distance/time are you seeing damage to your bibs? I’ve ridden about 10000mi on a Glider and Blaster with the old stitching and a second Blaster with the new stitched logos. No issues so far with any bibs, but I rotate through lots of pairs.

by Weenie

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Seeing abrasion after one ride - 110 km.

FWIW I have had very advanced analysis of my position and power delivery, including foot and saddle pressure mapping, and everything is good.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

backdoor

by backdoor

What make are your shorts?

I've got an SMP F30 and an SMP Avant. Both with well over 1500 miles on them. No issues. Typically in Castelli LW tights or Areo Race shorts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

I've done over 10,000km on my drakon and no issues, but i do note that I have the older style that looks like this
Chasse patate

kgt

by kgt

I have no isses either but it really depends on the material of the shorts. Some fabrics are really sensitive.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

All my shorts are Assos. I have always thought of them as durable. Perhaps they are vulnerable to abrasion.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

That’s really strange.

I’m running a dynamic with assos shorts and no problems. I’ve crashed twice recently taking skin off but assos shorts have remained undamaged.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

As per my edit in the first post, my thighs are just brushing the nose of the saddle. the offending part of the stitching is the word "Drakon".
This is a bit of a wierd thing. My quads are decent but not massive. Overall my legs pretty lean with a thigh gap that would make a teenager girl with an eating disorder proud :D - courtesy of about 25,000 km in a year (photo).

and I am not one of those guys that rides with my knees brushing the top tube. Clearly my knees are a little closer to the bike than the designer of the saddle anticipated. Worse on the left side (which suffers from mild illiac artery endofibrosis). Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Another ride today and I just love this saddle. Seriously dissappointed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Are you sure the fabric is abrading on the saddle? Could it instead be pinching/folding on itself, perhaps because of Assos’s floating pad design? I have abraded a bit off the top layer of leather on the nose of my Glider...I’d think there would be similar visible signs of rub on your saddle.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

you can try increase Q factor

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:06 am
Are you sure the fabric is abrading on the saddle? Could it instead be pinching/folding on itself, perhaps because of Assos’s floating pad design? I have abraded a bit off the top layer of leather on the nose of my Glider...I’d think there would be similar visible signs of rub on your saddle.
definitely the saddle. My bib shorts are plenty snug - no chance of folding over, etc.
ChiZ01 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:14 am
you can try increase Q factor
Already cleat position as wide as I can go. Won't be adding pedal axle spacers.

Nope, it's just a combination of what a fitter would say is a bit more hip rotation than average, and a saddle manufacturer who places form over function. "Drakon" could be placed in many less critical places. Why place it close to where legs are going up and down (other then it shows well in a side photo). Bless the Italians and their sense of style.

Solution is probably the 70th anniversary edition. No stitching on the left side and better location on the right side. Anybody have one?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Another option might be to have your existing Drakon re-covered by a leatherworker.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:56 am
Another option might be to have your existing Drakon re-covered by a leatherworker.
That would take some serious skill. Do people like that even exist these days?

Perhaps it would be possible to detach the front of the cover and remove the stitching and then replace. The cover appears to be held in place with just staples. I was also wonder about putting a piece of gorilla tape over the stitching. Wonder if it would stay in place. I'd try that before any surgery.

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:11 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:56 am
That would take some serious skill. Do people like that even exist these days?

Perhaps it would be possible to detach the front of the cover and remove the stitching and then replace. The cover appears to be held in place with just staples. I was also wonder about putting a piece of gorilla tape over the stitching. Wonder if it would stay in place. I'd try that before any surgery.
Here's the one I remember:
http://lehcyclinggoods.com/custom-saddl ... er+Recover

I think the basics are actually...pretty basic. You make a cut out, apply some glue and stretch it over the shell. Then you cut away the excess, fold the edges in, etc. If you live in a populated area, I'll bet there's going to be a few decent leatherworkers/crafters willing to help you out.