RD lower pivot lateral play - whats normal?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MaxPower

by MaxPower

As the title states (no click bait :-))

I tinkered a bit with the Rd (r8000 shimano) and actually tried a ospw cage - through this process i was surprised to find latetal play i the lower pivot of my RD. With the ospw cage it was so bad that the lateral play messed up the indexing in some gear combinations depending on if you shifted up or down through the cassette...

I thought the ospw cage pivot axle was to blame, but back on the original shimano cage i still feel it. Far less, and with prober indexing it's without chainrub/index problems when shifting up and down on the cassette.

But for example, being on the big ring, and 3 biggest cog i can push the lower pivot point laterally (away from the wheel, pushing the cage around the upper pulley screw area) and feel a "knock" when the cage side/pivot axle makes contact with the derailleur body.

So - what is normal?
I expect some play (as it is a sliding joint) but how much is normal?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I check this too from time to time. It's a wear issue.

I'd say good derailleurs feel solid there.

There is to my knowledge no way to tighten it either. Maybe you can take a look at the cage axle and see if you can shim it or file it down or something.

The 6800 series ultegra feel better in this regard, than the r8000, if my memory serves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sockman

by Sockman

Isnt this a replacable part?

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Yes it is.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 am
I check this too from time to time. It's a wear issue.

I'd say good derailleurs feel solid there.

There is to my knowledge no way to tighten it either. Maybe you can take a look at the cage axle and see if you can shim it or file it down or something.

The 6800 series ultegra feel better in this regard, than the r8000, if my memory serves.
Nope, can't be tightened.
No apparent wear on the axle, but have to take a look at the screw when i come home.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Think the rd has around 5-8000km on it.

But i have problems understand why the aftermarket ospw showed this 'issue' much more than the original cage. Would think that this rules out axle wear and i must admit, the lock screw had no apparent wear if i remember correctly (its black anodized, so would expect wear to be visually obvious as i would expect blank mental)...

Hmmmmm....

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Found the outer cage+lock screw. Cost was not much so i ordered it. Will see if i can find the time to put it on tomorrow.

But, checked the original screw, and was amazed to se the wear on the lock screw. It's in af very specific place and very clear visually.

Maybe i should just se it as a wear and tear part and change it every other season (checked, its been going around 9000 km minimum (2.5 years) and i change gear a lot!
:beerchug:

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Mounted the replacement part before work.
Its a little bit less play, but not much.
Must be normal than. Sadly i don't havr any other r8000 around, and bike shops usually get a bit iffy when you fumble around RD's with your kid-fingers :lol:

Might take a chance though one day :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com