SRAM etap front derailleur drifts slowly while riding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonazza

by carbonazza

It is a SRAM red etap non AXS.

When riding on the big ring, the front derailleur drifts slowly inboard. Not much, something like an half width of the chain, but enough to make the chain to rub on the derailleur when on the 4-5 bigger sprockets.

There is a way of reset its position.
Stop pedalling, shift the derailleur inboard, then immediately outboard( a shift for nothing ).
On a 100km ride, I may have to do it 3-4 times.
Not a big deal but annoying.

Anyone experienced this already or found a solution?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I have two bikes with Red eTap, and I've never experienced this. Not much comfort, I know...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

You've adjusted the front screw and it still drifts? https://youtu.be/XlLwu-SDo5w?t=400

Seems like maybe the screw is stripped or loose or something. I have run red eTap for a few years now, and not experienced what you've decribed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Piling on, but this is the first I’ve heard of FD cage drift. I have multiple sets of eTap and never encountered this.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I think most would consider that a pretty significant annoyance..

Is it still under waranty?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Mine 100% does this. I have to shift down and up now and again. I have no idea why, I didnt think it could happen. Mine is out of warranty so I haven't even asked them if its something they know is a problem.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

just glad i went the di2 route, was close on getting etap

carbonazza

by carbonazza

JackRussellRacing wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:40 pm
You've adjusted the front screw and it still drifts? https://youtu.be/XlLwu-SDo5w?t=400

Seems like maybe the screw is stripped or loose or something. I have run red eTap for a few years now, and not experienced what you've decribed.
The limit screws prevent the dérailleur to move inboard too much on the small ring, and too far on the bigger ring. Right?
Here the derailleur moves inboard on the big ring, so I'm not sure it is related to the limit screws.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:20 am

In fact, yes it sucks.
But since there is a workaround, and I'm out of warranty, I got used to it.
It certainly played a role in my move to EPS 12 for my new build.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Jhomewood wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:19 am
Mine 100% does this. I have to shift down and up now and again. I have no idea why, I didnt think it could happen. Mine is out of warranty so I haven't even asked them if its something they know is a problem.
It always gives you some comfort not being alone ;)

Were you an early buyer?
I got it in may 2017, and if I remember well the etap HRD was not readily available at that time.

DrewXT

by DrewXT

carbonazza wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:20 am

In fact, yes it sucks.
But since there is a workaround, and I'm out of warranty, I got used to it.
It certainly played a role in my move to EPS 12 for my new build.
Have your reached out to SRAM about it? It may be a known issue that they'd cover under goodwill.

If you don't ask, you'll never know...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

carbonazza wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:18 am
Jhomewood wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:19 am
It always gives you some comfort not being alone ;)

Were you an early buyer?
I got it in may 2017, and if I remember well the etap HRD was not readily available at that time.

eTap FDs have been available since late-2015, early-2016. No apparent change was made to the FD when eTap HRD was introduced.

Jugi

by Jugi

carbonazza wrote: The limit screws prevent the dérailleur to move inboard too much on the small ring, and too far on the bigger ring. Right?
Here the derailleur moves inboard on the big ring, so I'm not sure it is related to the limit screws.
And the outboard limit screw serves as an indexing position as well.

If I recall correctly, eTap FD doesn't automatically compensate it's position depending on which sprocket the RD is at. So, there shouldn't be any drift or additional movement involved in normal operation - the FD's cage should be either at the outboard or inboard position.

One thing strictly forbidden in the installation manual is tightening the outboard limit screw while the FD is in the inboard position. If that has happened, I guess something like these symptoms might result from that.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

DrewXT wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:48 am
Have your reached out to SRAM about it? It may be a known issue that they'd cover under goodwill.

If you don't ask, you'll never know...
Right indeed... But contacting SRAM directly is like a labyrinth.
I first contacted Canyon who I got the derailleur from and will see what they say.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Jugi wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:43 pm
If I recall correctly, eTap FD doesn't automatically compensate it's position depending on which sprocket the RD is at. So, there shouldn't be any drift or additional movement involved in normal operation - the FD's cage should be either at the outboard or inboard position.
The derailleur goes a bit farther when shifting up, then comes back in position.
And no, it does not compensate from the chain position on the cassette.
Jugi wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:43 pm
One thing strictly forbidden in the installation manual is tightening the outboard limit screw while the FD is in the inboard position. If that has happened, I guess something like these symptoms might result from that.
I saw the big warning on the setup video. And never did that.
However I had an up-shift issue with this derailleur from the beginning.
The bike went 2-3 times back to Canyon's service.

Unfortunately the derailleur problem got hidden by a crack on the frame at the fixture.
The frame was replaced, giving the impression it was the issue, but no.

Then since I live in the relatively flat Belgium, I ride on the big ring most of the time and got used to the quirk, until I noticed recently the drift.