Ruined my new Stronglight Pulsion crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ProTech

by ProTech

durarace wrote:Wogamax,
As far as torque goes, I did a search on weightweenies and read in several threads that with ISIS BB you tighten until it bottoms out. That is what I did.

Not so...

Usual torque values of the crankarm bolts on ISIS interface are ~ 57.00 n/m for steel bolts and 59 n/m for Alu.

Basic torque wrench: 50.00$ , 8mm Allen driver: $5.00 ,it a small price to pay when instralling $400 cranks.

A torque wrench comes in handy on all fasteners especially Ti and Aluminum as long as the part is installed using anti-seize compound or medium strenght locktite (blue), the torque values are then accurate.

lemmy999

by lemmy999

So where do you get a steel bolt? I have new Pulsion cranks and a Token BB and I think both are aluminum bolts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MGS9500

by MGS9500

As noted, FSA sells a self extracting bolt, but now does not recommend it's use. I put one on an FSA compact crank and pulled the extractor out withoug removing the crank. I ended up stripping the treads on the crank just like you did.

The good news is I took it to my LBS where I bought the cranks. He was able to extract the crank but using a standard crank extractor which he was able to get into the treads of the stripped threads. He really bottomed it out before extracting the cranks. Then, he gave me a brand new set of FSA cranks. However, not with the self extracting bolts.

For the Pulsion cranks, I use the FSA BB which comes with the aluminum and steel bolts. I have discarded the Pulsion bolts and will never use self extracting bolts.

flying

by flying

Yeah I just use one of these to pull cranks

It is the Park CCP-4 cheap & easy
Also I use a steel bolt to put them on. I am afraid of the stress it takes to seat the arms on a ISIS BB all the way. Then remove the bolt & use the lighter alum one.

FreaK

by FreaK

all these stories about aluminum self extractors sucking has me a bit surprised, the self extracting portion on my Race Face Diabolus is alu, and it works perfectly, but then the arm comes off pretty easy too. Perhaps the key is deeply engaging threads, it's a machined part on my cranks.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

durarace

by durarace

Flying ---- the Park puller you pictured won't fit the Pulsion cranks. The Pulsion cranks have a way bigger area that the puller threads onto. What puller do Pulsion cranks use besides self extractors?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have been a tandem owner and a memeber of the tandem listserve for years. Many new tandems come with the self extracting FSA bolts and there are no reports of problems. Our tandem came with FSA cranks and FSA self extracting bolts on both cranks. We have never had a problem. Is it possible that there is a compatability problem between the self extracting bolts and your specific cranks? I have installed FSA self extractig bolts on many 9 speed systems with no problems so far. All of them have been Octalink, by the way. It never hurts to grease the splines. When I build a bike every fastner either gets grease or Locktite as well as surfaces such as splines.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

here is how to pull the crank off

use a traingular shapped metal item that you put between the crank arm and the BB/frame
now just tap on it with a hammer.
the expanding part that will go downards will push you crank arm off.

if you are riding a carbon frame its recomended to put something between the traingular item and the frame so it wont scratch

I made a drawing for you :-)

enjoy
Attachments
puller.JPG
puller.JPG (5.23 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

flying

by flying

durarace wrote:Flying ---- the Park puller you pictured won't fit the Pulsion cranks. The Pulsion cranks have a way bigger area that the puller threads onto. What puller do Pulsion cranks use besides self extractors?

I did not know that. I use FSA Carbon Pros.
Maybe Juanmoretime will chime in or others that use the Pulsions.
Sorry

TimT

by TimT

There are 2 differant Park crank pullers. Just make sure you get the right size.

Tim

MGS9500

by MGS9500

I use the small Pedro crank extractor. Easy to carry on a trip. Works with the Pulsion cranks.

I mount the cranks with the steel bolt and then switch to the aluminum.
Attachments
pedrocrank.jpg