S-Works tarmac vs TCR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Darkday

by Darkday

Hello! I’m currently using a 2010 Giant TCR adv 3 with 105 group set. Thinking of upgrading as I’ve been riding for a while now and want to do amateur races. I’ll have to buy second hand as I’m on a Budget, and looking for a bike that I can invest in.

I’ve seen a S-Works tarmac sl4 with Dura ace 9000 for sale @ 1300AUD. I don’t have the chance to try the frame as it’s overseas, but can have someone inspect it for me. Geometry wise it’s similar to my current giant. Qn is is it worth it to invest in a 2014 frame? Or should I wait on a find a Similar tcr frame that’s more current (2016/17). Thanks!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Your current bike will do just fine in races. On the other hand an SL4 with DA 9000 for AU$1300 sounds like a good deal to me. It's nice to have a spare bike if you are going to take racing seriously anyway. The main thing about more recent bikes is continued improvement in the lay-up up composites. Maybe on a bike that old I would inspect the bosses/braze-ons for evidence of galvanic corrosion...along with cracks and crash damage...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Darkday

by Darkday

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:31 am
Your current bike will do just fine in races. On the other hand an SL4 with DA 9000 for AU$1300 sounds like a good deal to me. It's nice to have a spare bike if you are going to take racing seriously anyway. The main thing about more recent bikes is continued improvement in the lay-up up composites. Maybe on a bike that old I would inspect the bosses/braze-ons for evidence of galvanic corrosion...along with cracks and crash damage...
Hi! Thanks for the reply. So I Guess in your view a 2014 frame is still a worth investment for the next few years? I can also get a Avanti Corsa SL 2016 with DA at the same price. But not many reviews of the Avanti, it is a newer frame however. Which will you go with?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Darkday wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:01 am

Hi! Thanks for the reply. So I Guess in your view a 2014 frame is still a worth investment for the next few years? I can also get a Avanti Corsa SL 2016 with DA at the same price. But not many reviews of the Avanti, it is a newer frame however. Which will you go with?

I don't know enough about the Tarmac SL4 or your current TCR to say anything concrete. AFAIK, they're both completely fungible bicycles of that era...most bikes are. In your shoes, I'd probably just race the TCR, save some money to buy something even more current down the road. Continue to race the TCR in "high risk" races like crits.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Don't race anything you can't afford to replace.