DuraAce 11 Speed Chain & Wax in the Pins

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
arnoldsnarb

by arnoldsnarb

OK... long time lurker, first time poster and I thought, here's a question only a true weight weeny can answer.

I moved to wax from wet lube this season. Love it. Absolutely love it. I keep two chains in rotation and swap them out every 300 miles (or sooner if I hit a wet/mucky patch) and after 3,000 miles I'm seeing nearly zero chain stretch.

I'm running a DuraAce 11 Speed chain... mostly for the lower friction coating. The pins are hollow to shave off weight and they get filled up with wax when I immerse the chain in the hot wax.

Here's the weight weenie question... is it crazy to be running a toothpick through all the chain pins to get the wax out?

by Weenie

hlvd

by hlvd

Definitely!

Orlok

by Orlok

arnoldsnarb wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:12 pm
OK... long time lurker, first time poster and I thought, here's a question only a true weight weeny can answer.

I moved to wax from wet lube this season. Love it. Absolutely love it. I keep two chains in rotation and swap them out every 300 miles (or sooner if I hit a wet/mucky patch) and after 3,000 miles I'm seeing nearly zero chain stretch.

I'm running a DuraAce 11 Speed chain... mostly for the lower friction coating. The pins are hollow to shave off weight and they get filled up with wax when I immerse the chain in the hot wax.

Here's the weight weenie question... is it crazy to be running a toothpick through all the chain pins to get the wax out?
Not at all, because it doesn't need to be there.! :smartass:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 6800 - Carbonspeed C38 - Tubeless

arnoldsnarb

by arnoldsnarb

hlvd wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Definitely!
"Definitely do it!" or "Definitely crazy!" ?

Kabu

by Kabu

A true weight weenie would put that excess wax out of the hollow pins on a high precision scale and post a pic here of how much weight they just saved.
...and yes, definitely crazy!

upside

by upside

When you pull the chain from the crock pot while it is hot, I roll it up and turn it on it's side on a bench. I then just slam or bang it and it all the wax rolls out. I then also wipe the outside with a rag so there is no wax on the exterior of the plates. Then hang it on a screw to cool. Within a couple of minutes you can then run the chain up and down to break the links.... then your set to go. I feel the key piece to take care is wiping the exteior links and you will not have all the flaking of wax on the bike

hlvd

by hlvd

arnoldsnarb wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Definitely!
"Definitely do it!" or "Definitely crazy!" ?
Definitely crazy Image

arnoldsnarb

by arnoldsnarb

upside wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:54 pm
When you pull the chain from the crock pot while it is hot, I roll it up and turn it on it's side on a bench. I then just slam or bang it and it all the wax rolls out. I then also wipe the outside with a rag so there is no wax on the exterior of the plates. Then hang it on a screw to cool. Within a couple of minutes you can then run the chain up and down to break the links.... then your set to go. I feel the key piece to take care is wiping the exteior links and you will not have all the flaking of wax on the bike
That's a fantastic idea. It's probably a little more effective and a little less messy than blowing compressed air through the pins which was my other idea. Betwen the excess on the outside and the pins I bet there's almost 2cc of wax... which is maybe 2 grams!

by Weenie

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Keeps the dirt out.