Veloflex releases new "carbon safe" clincher tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

Weenies,

Veloflex just blogged that their clincher "open tubular" line-up has been redesigned to incorporate a "Sidewall Protection System" making it supported for use with carbon clinchers.

https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/veloflex-sps

Great news for those of us who run carbon clinchers! Hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit.

(I wonder if the redesign will improve puncture resistance, or affect ride characteristics in any way)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Clincher tubular tires have been around for a while.

I've seen them for sale mostly by people ordering the wrong stuff.

The only situation I'd see them as being useful is if I only had one clincher wheelset and I were standing on top of a mountain with a rim brake bike waiting to hear the sound of a gun starting a descent race.

Here's the thing. There are still some rim overheat failures that this tire can't maintain safety with. So even in my example above I'd rather be on tubulars or disc brakes (probably tubulars).

(I've never ridden such tires but I'm trying to understand the logic behind them.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

145g clincher? I'm in.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 am
(I've never ridden such tires but I'm trying to understand the logic behind them.)
It sounds to me as though these tyres are designed to cope with the badly finished carbon rims that have a sharp edge on the hook that can gradually cut the sidewall on tyres. See https://www.bicycleretailer.com/product ... es-warning.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

NickJHP wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:42 am
alcatraz wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 am
It sounds to me as though these tyres are designed to cope with the badly finished carbon rims that have a sharp edge on the hook that can gradually cut the sidewall on tyres. See https://www.bicycleretailer.com/product ... es-warning.
You're right. I'm maybe way off topic. :oops:

I wonder if OP has run open tubulars on clincher wheels before and stopped because of concern for these blowouts? Or is he inquiring about open tubulars as a solution to carbon clinchers and their safety issues?

robertbb

by robertbb

haha, yeah way OT alcatraz.

As has been said, my point is simply that Veloflex has responded to compatability issues between non-vulcanised clincher tyres (e.g. Veloflex Corsa/Master, Vittoria Corsa, etc.) on carbon rims. They've done this by weaving some new material called "Compressed Pes" into their corespun cotton sidewall.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

28mm Masters. Sign me up :D

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am
28mm Masters. Sign me up :D

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Bikebug were absolutely useless (as always) when I rang to ask when these updated models would come in stock.

Veloflex now sells direct from their website. Free shipping when you buy two tyres, boils down to AU$85 a tyre which isn't over the top. That price includes paying the Europe VAT which we shouldn't have to - I've emailed them to see if they'll take that off at checkout with Australia selected as destination... will report back.

Serkie

by Serkie

Ordered a set of Master 25 SPS directly from Veloflex on Monday for my Enve 3.4 SES wheels. Free delivery option and dispatched the same day, received next day before 12pm. Italy to UK in less than 24 hours, absolutely brilliant service.

Oh and they look beautifully made, look forward to trying them out soon.

welchy

by welchy

Want them to bring out a 30MM Master - my 28MM are awesome!

robertbb

by robertbb

Serkie wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am
Ordered a set of Master 25 SPS directly from Veloflex on Monday for my Enve 3.4 SES wheels. Free delivery option and dispatched the same day, received next day before 12pm. Italy to UK in less than 24 hours, absolutely brilliant service.

Would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether they measure up the same as the non-SPS version.

Not sure whether to go 25 or 28 for my 17mm (internal) wheels (Campy Bora's).

themidge

by themidge

It's shame the weight seems to have gone up :( Veloflex Master 25's used to be almost sub-200g, 220 is a bit much for an open tubular IMO.

kgt

by kgt

+1
The first Veloflex Master 25 I bought like 8-9 years ago weighted 190gr

Serkie

by Serkie

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm
Serkie wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am

Would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether they measure up the same as the non-SPS version.

Not sure whether to go 25 or 28 for my 17mm (internal) wheels (Campy Bora's).
I’m planning on fitting them in a few days time. I’ll report back with some pictures then.

JoO

by JoO

kgt wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:48 pm
+1
The first Veloflex Master 25 I bought like 8-9 years ago weighted 190gr
I bought some velofex masters 6 moths ago or so.
Weight was already 223 grs back then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com