Converted from Shimano Ultegra disc to SRAM Force AXS disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Carlin

by Carlin

So SRAMs been out for a while now, all my CX and toad bikes run Di2 Ultegra but I've run the SRAM Eagle AXS on my MTB I love it.
But I'm looking at a new purchase and the bike I've seen has SRAM force what are ppls thoughts so far in performance and has anyone converted from Ultegra to the Force how do the hoods feel compared to shimano as I know the design is a lot different not sure how comfortable the difference is too.
The other bike I've seen for same price is cabled Ultegra which just seems ridiculous but just like anyone's thoughts.
Thanks
Last edited by Carlin on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Are you talking hydraulic disc or rim brakes?

Carlin

by Carlin

Disc sorry I'll never go rim brake ever again 😂

talltales

by talltales

If price is at all a factor I would get DI2. SRAMs AXS spare part prices are off the charts. Even basic stuff like a cassette is ridiculously expensive. DI2 Seems much more resonably priced and you can use ordinary 11s chains, cassettes, ect, rather than locking yourself into propietary everything SRAM 12s parts.
Last edited by talltales on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I came from old ultegra to AXS force. I like it alot. Brakes and rear shifting are best of the best. Front is pretty good now that I finally got it adjusted correctly.
Ride fast Take chances

Carlin

by Carlin

talltales wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 am
If price is at all a factor I would get DI2. SRAMs AXS spare part prices are off the charts. Even basic stuff like a cassette is ridiculously expensive. DI2 Seems much more resonably priced and you can use ordinary 11s chains, cassettes, ect, rather than locking yourself into propietary everything SRAM 12s parts.
Thanks but I'm not interested in the price of things more interested in the difference going from Shimano with the feel of the change over and comfort of the hoods. I've always had Shimano on the roadie and CX tbh i won't go up to Dura Ace I never noticed performance over Ultegra if set up right.

Carlin

by Carlin

Alexbn921 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 am
I came from old ultegra to AXS force. I like it alot. Brakes and rear shifting are best of the best. Front is pretty good now that I finally got it adjusted correctly.
How do the hoods feel over Shimano’s for comfort and position? Yes I run AXS on my MTB it's brilliant with C-Bear too. Just wasn't sure that if Force was as good over Ultegra money isn't the problem just like to hear from people if the change was worth it and the differences they've noticed. I have heard that it's slower than shimano in regards speed change that's it

talltales

by talltales

Carlin wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:59 am
talltales wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 am
Thanks but I'm not interested in the price of things more interested in the difference going from Shimano with the feel of the change over and comfort of the hoods. I've always had Shimano on the roadie and CX tbh i won't go up to Dura Ace I never noticed performance over Ultegra if set up right.
I wasnt talking about Dura Ace. Ultegra and Ultegra DI2 is great. I was pointing out the hidden expense in AXS since you mentioned you could get AXS for same price as cabled Ultegra (I doubt thats a fair comparison, Ultegra DI2 is often sold at the same price point or lower compared to Force AXS. But nonetheless).

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Hoods are a very personal thing, but we have many over here going Sram AXS from Shimano this year and all of them have had an easy transition.

Try to get a LBS test bike?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Sram hoods are very flat so if you like to rest your palms on your hoods, you’ll like them. If you tend to really wrap your fingers around the hoods and grab them snuggly, shimano or campy feel better because they are smaller with more curves to grab.

I have a bad wrist so the flatness of sram hoods don’t create as much discomfort on long rides.

rayooo

by rayooo

I have Shimano (Ultegra) and SRAM (AXS Red) bikes... after years on Shimano Hoods, SRAM felt weird at first. After a short while on the SRAM I like'em every bit as much as I do the Shimano

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

SRAM FORCE AXS DISC USERS

Are the hoods smaller than a mech Ultegra?

I use the hoods 50%/drops 40%/tops 10% and have small hands. Ive maxed out the adjustment on my Shimano levers but I feel I need 3mm or so to be more confident.

I havent used SRAM since the old Rival groupset. I loved the groupset, I just forgot why I didnt keep it. I liked the positive feedback it gave plus the shifting mechanics.

Looking to go SFA as well. The spare parts are indeed terrible in price. It puts me in a conundrum between getting a bike or build from frame since the groupset is EXPENSIVE on it's own. The entire bike and frameset are 2 different colours.