2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jaisen

by Jaisen

abLEmiaB wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:36 pm
I was surprised to see the official manual explicitly advise against carbon paste for the stem/steerer and no mention of any for the stem/bar. E.g. pages 18 and 22 of:

https://media.specialized.com/support/c ... 145155.pdf

Is that what everyone is doing? I have used paste on both locations before on previous bikes.
I've always used paste on the stem before like you but this time I built my bike exactly according to the manual and so far no issues. Only one thing worth noting, Specialized didn't update the manual after the expander plug recall. The manual says 9 Nm for the expander plug on page 15, but the new expander plug says 5 Nm on the part. Always trust the inscription on the part itself.

I also went with Ultegra R8170. I went with the Power with Mirror Pro, and also the standard SL7 frame set. My build came in at 7.9kg. Have fun with your build!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marian

by marian

one smaller aero upgrade - garmin holder (gen2), the other larger was handlebars Pro Vibe aero sl carbon.Image

Jaisen

by Jaisen

marian wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:07 pm
one smaller aero upgrade - garmin holder (gen2), the other larger was handlebars Pro Vibe aero sl carbon.Image
Very nice! I've been thinking of trying the Pro Vibe Aero SL. How wide are they in the tops, can you measure them? I use the tops quite a bit on long climbs, so I threw on my old round bars when I built my SL7 and have been wanting to try the aero bars but hesitated as I am unsure of how comfortable they would be in the tops. What's your experience been?

Eraser

by Eraser

MilesG813 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:05 pm
Has anyone gotten a frame weight for the Sand and Gold frame? I am guessing it is probably the second heaviest behind the white.
My 58 size - 950g
Very heavy color

Somebody now, how to remove new version expander from the fork?

Eraser

by Eraser

Eraser wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 am
MilesG813 wrote:
Has anyone gotten a frame weight for the Sand and Gold frame? I am guessing it is probably the second heaviest behind the white.
My 58 size - 950g
Very heavy color

Somebody know, how to remove new version expander from the fork?

marian

by marian

Jaisen wrote:
marian wrote:
Very nice! I've been thinking of trying the Pro Vibe Aero SL. How wide are they in the tops, can you measure them? I use the tops quite a bit on long climbs, so I threw on my old round bars when I built my SL7 and have been wanting to try the aero bars but hesitated as I am unsure of how comfortable they would be in the tops. What's your experience been?
at the top they are 42 cm (center-center). the same below. I often use the grip on the levers, but also the aero position at the bottom. My priority was less resistance. Stock handlebars were dural with a width of 44 cm, which bothered me. Weight is around 215 grams, LBS weighed them a andt assembled them for me straight away. Remco Evenepoel won the world championship on them, so I believe they are ok :-)

Jaisen

by Jaisen

marian wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:33 pm
Jaisen wrote:
marian wrote:
at the top they are 42 cm (center-center). the same below. I often use the grip on the levers, but also the aero position at the bottom. My priority was less resistance. Stock handlebars were dural with a width of 44 cm, which bothered me. Weight is around 215 grams, LBS weighed them a andt assembled them for me straight away. Remco Evenepoel won the world championship on them, so I believe they are ok :-)
Glad to hear the positive review, thanks for sharing! But I misspoke, I was curious to know how wide the grip in the tops are rather than the total bar width. For example, on my round bars with the tape, they measure roughly 38mm or 1.5 inch.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Eraser wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 am
MilesG813 wrote:
My 58 size - 950g
Very heavy color

Somebody now, how to remove new version expander from the fork?
I made a thread about this a little while ago when I wanted to cut my fork, from the replies I got was that the new expander is removed the same way as all previous expanders. See this video for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNizysonc74

Eraser

by Eraser

Thanks mate!

marian

by marian

Jaisen wrote:
marian wrote:
Jaisen wrote:
marian wrote:
Glad to hear the positive review, thanks for sharing! But I misspoke, I was curious to know how wide the grip in the tops are rather than the total bar width. For example, on my round bars with the tape, they measure roughly 38mm or 1.5 inch.
the width is 40 mm at the point where the tape ends. Towards the stem, the area expands to approx. 50 mm

Jaisen

by Jaisen

marian wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:08 pm
Jaisen wrote:
marian wrote:
Jaisen wrote:
the width is 40 mm at the point where the tape ends. Towards the stem, the area expands to approx. 50 mm
Great, thanks for checking for me!

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

I'm gradually buying bits and pieces for my build. I decided to try new InfoCrank IC2, that I stumbled across. It's a bit of a gamble and they are not light but 2 reasons - the previous ones were well reviewed and there is an office near me so I can physically go and see them if I have a problem. They don't have chainring options yet but I'll probably look at Shimano or Rotor rings anyway.

Also ordering Rapide CL II for it. I was hoping for Black Friday sales but I guess since they are new I can't find any.

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

abLEmiaB wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:34 am
I'm gradually buying bits and pieces for my build. I decided to try new InfoCrank IC2, that I stumbled across. It's a bit of a gamble and they are not light but 2 reasons - the previous ones were well reviewed and there is an office near me so I can physically go and see them if I have a problem. They don't have chainring options yet but I'll probably look at Shimano or Rotor rings anyway.

Also ordering Rapide CL II for it. I was hoping for Black Friday sales but I guess since they are new I can't find any.
Had the IC1 since they first came out (about 6 years?). Based on serial number, one of the first 50. Been very happy with it. A few issues with battery drain at one point, but this was due to loose contacts. Serviced about a year ago, with new seals for battery door, and going strong. Not sure how well other PMs last, but that strikes me as good value. Adding BT to the IC2 is a good step forward, but I also hope they will upgrade the app... the old one (VINC) is pretty clunky, and only works on Android. Have to keep a knackered old Samsung Galaxy just for the PM

micmax

by micmax

Takeswood wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:49 pm
Here SL7 Frame 10R in tropical teal : 867gr in 54. I find it light for non s-works bike and painted compared to a more raw paint.

Do you know where I can find screw for front derailler hanger ? Because one of them has damage on screw head recess and I don't want to fail to remove it when it tightened :(

Pictures of my frame here :
Nice. I ordered the same in a complete Expert build, DI2 Ultegra.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micmax

by micmax

Doublepost.