2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

eucalyptus wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:38 am
Pictures please? And screenshot of that manual where it says risk ?

Quite difficult to understand what you mean and refer to without pictures :)
The backplate is curved and copies the shape of the handlebar when slotted in the correct position (horizontally) so that it slots nicely inside the internal cavity of the faceplate. Thus preventing the mount from rotating.
If rotated vertically before tightening the faceplate it would crush the handlebar.
It's quite obvious when you put the two parts together.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

marian

by marian

I am attaching part of the manual

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:33 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:38 am
Pictures please? And screenshot of that manual where it says risk ?

Quite difficult to understand what you mean and refer to without pictures :)
The backplate is curved and copies the shape of the handlebar when slotted in the correct position (horizontally) so that it slots nicely inside the internal cavity of the faceplate. Thus preventing the mount from rotating.
If rotated vertically before tightening the faceplate it would crush the handlebar.
It's quite obvious when you put the two parts together.
I see, I see! Thx for explaining. Thought for a second we spoke about the headset and stem here LOL. Now it makes more sense

milanv

by milanv

marian wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:51 am
I am looking for a small mounting plate to S7 stem. It is not part of the purchased bike. I own a 3D print mount MagCad from shapeways for Garmin that I used for the previous Roval Alpinist handlebars and it is also suitable for the SL7 stem, but I don't have this plate for it. It is only sold as part of the original accessory mount for 60 euros, that seems pretty crazy to me...

Otherwise, the warning from specialized in manual is quite interesting that horizontal orientation of the plate is necessary, otherwise the structural integrity of the handlebars is at risk

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk
Framesandgear holder for Tarmac SL7?

marian

by marian

yes, I'm thinking about it (newer aero design). I will check with them if the back plate is part of the holder

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

marian wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:51 am
I am looking for a small mounting plate to S7 stem. It is not part of the purchased bike. I own a 3D print mount MagCad from shapeways for Garmin that I used for the previous Roval Alpinist handlebars and it is also suitable for the SL7 stem, but I don't have this plate for it. It is only sold as part of the original accessory mount for 60 euros, that seems pretty crazy to me...

Otherwise, the warning from specialized in manual is quite interesting that horizontal orientation of the plate is necessary, otherwise the structural integrity of the handlebars is at risk

What did you use when you had the Roval Alpinist bars?

marian

by marian

this one:

www.shapeways.com/product/HYAZAK8NW/gar ... =165417996

i.e. Roval Alpinist SL Cockpit has thread integrated in the handlebars themselves

mikedtn

by mikedtn

Hi guys, I've been looking at getting an SL7 for a few months now and seen recently the prices have jumped up again in the UK.

I know traditionally, purchasing a ready built bike can work out cheaper than buying a frameset and individual parts at retail, but these new prices from Specialized seem to completely contradict that.

Can somebody tell me if I'm missing something here: https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... -etap-axs/ (£8500)

If we say best case,

Roval CL Wheels : £1200

Force ETAP Groupset w/ Power Meter: £2500 (seen for cheaper than this)

Saddle, Bars: £500

Total (without frame): £4200 (leaving £4300)

It’s not an S-Works bike and the S-Works framesets are available for just over £4k. It’s like they’re pricing in the same price for a standard Tarmac 10r frame.

I know the Specialized brand carries a premium, I’m just trying to find the logic in their pricing between framesets and complete builds. Hard to make sense of it, even at last years price of £7900.

Thanks

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

mikedtn wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:05 pm
Hi guys, I've been looking at getting an SL7 for a few months now and seen recently the prices have jumped up again in the UK.

I know traditionally, purchasing a ready built bike can work out cheaper than buying a frameset and individual parts at retail, but these new prices from Specialized seem to completely contradict that.

Can somebody tell me if I'm missing something here: https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... -etap-axs/ (£8500)

If we say best case,

It’s not an S-Works bike and the S-Works framesets are available for just over £4k. It’s like they’re pricing in the same price for a standard Tarmac 10r frame.

I know the Specialized brand carries a premium, I’m just trying to find the logic in their pricing between framesets and complete builds. Hard to make sense of it, even at last years price of £7900.

Thanks
I'm just an idiot on the Internet, but maybe they know frameset availability is low, combined with shortages of components means that consumers will be more prepared to pay a premium for a complete bike?

mikedtn

by mikedtn

FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:23 pm
I'm just an idiot on the Internet, but maybe they know frameset availability is low, combined with shortages of components means that consumers will be more prepared to pay a premium for a complete bike?
Was kinda hoping I was missing something, but you're right, they're taking full advantage of the demand, if people will pay it, they'll charge it, until sales slow down. Priced me out that's for sure.

NealH

by NealH

Its like cars, people are buying new cars at ridiculously inflated prices. Why not sell bikes at inflated prices too, since people will buy them.

R1Phrankey

by R1Phrankey

mikedtn wrote:

If we say best case,

Thanks

For that reason I have built my S-works SL7 myself. Price of a complete bike is higher than for the individual parts.
Normally, it is the opposite way for other brands, but not for Specialized.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

mikedtn wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:14 pm
FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:23 pm
Was kinda hoping I was missing something, but you're right, they're taking full advantage of the demand, if people will pay it, they'll charge it, until sales slow down. Priced me out that's for sure.
That bubble will be bursting here in the UK shortly though I imagine, considering what the cost of everything else is likely to be over the next 6 months!!

kevintc

by kevintc

I bought the MagCad Elemnt Bolt mount but inadvertantly bought the version for the V2 Bolt instead of the V1 Bolt (evidently they are different sizes!). These are $25 + $11 shipping to the US. If anyone in the US is interested in picking this up for $20 shipped just send me a private message. I've now ordered one for the Bolt V1 and can send out the V2 mount to you in the same bubble package when I receive my V1 mount (probably in a week or so).

https://www.magcad-designs.com/products ... ized-mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

R1Phrankey wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:59 pm
mikedtn wrote:

If we say best case,

Thanks

For that reason I have built my S-works SL7 myself. Price of a complete bike is higher than for the individual parts.
Normally, it is the opposite way for other brands, but not for Specialized.
So why do people buy it :noidea:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.