2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Pics removed from Insta, but starting to hit sites this morning. Frame looks virtually the same. Post and cable routing changes are noticeable though. Can't see how they could improve the Tarmac much more really without it looking a bit too much like an aero bike. I have a feeling 2020 is the year Cervelo steal the show with the R5. Dropped stays and even better aero/weight than this 2020 SL7.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

So you have a feeling that one unreleased bike is going to be even better than another unreleased bike?!!

I'm hoping to see

1) threaded BB like the new Shiv
2) option to run either a heavily integrated front end OR something more traditional without cable pinching or restrictions on steering/packing bike

If the bulge at the top of the seatpost is for a Di2 junction box perhaps this is an early hint that DA 9100 will not be wireless.

Shrike

by Shrike

petromyzon wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:37 am
So you have a feeling that one unreleased bike is going to be even better than another unreleased bike?!!

I'm hoping to see

1) threaded BB like the new Shiv
2) option to run either a heavily integrated front end OR something more traditional without cable pinching or restrictions on steering/packing bike

If the bulge at the top of the seatpost is for a Di2 junction box perhaps this is an early hint that DA 9100 will not be wireless.
Tarmac has it all. R5 still has at least one major aerodynamic improvement it can make, yet the two bikes test very closely.

Just common sense really.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Shrike wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:56 am
Pics removed from Insta, but starting to hit sites this morning. Frame looks virtually the same. Post and cable routing changes are noticeable though. Can't see how they could improve the Tarmac much more really without it looking a bit too much like an aero bike. I have a feeling 2020 is the year Cervelo steal the show with the R5. Dropped stays and even better aero/weight than this 2020 SL7.

some of those photos were published on the web some time ago...... example; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157679&start=180

romanmoser

by romanmoser

All of you SL6 guys need the SL7 like now !

Like planned no more rim brakes frame for the SL7

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

It is time for a new bike. The big question is an SL6 or can I wait for the SL7. The exposed cables on the SL6 really bug me.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

I'd say wait. Cannondale and Scott already have their semi-aero climbing bikes. More are just going to follow and you'll be looking soooo 2019. If you decide otherwise I have a mint condition SL6 rim for you in 58 ;-)

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Some people already feel Tarmac and Venge are kinda overlapped bikes, but if the next Tarmac becomes more aero yet heavier...

calleking

by calleking

Seeing this SL7 makes me even more happy with my rim braked SL6. Light, aero, comfy, easy to work on and easy to travel with. I love its simplicity. One of the best bikes of the pre-disc era.

I better get a second one while I can :mrgreen:
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

gurk700

by gurk700

calleking wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:43 am
Seeing this SL7 makes me even more happy with my rim braked SL6. Light, aero, comfy, easy to work on and easy to travel with. I love its simplicity. One of the best bikes of the pre-disc era.

Feel exactly the same and can't wait to pick up a second SL6 rim for dirt cheap when SL7 is out :D

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Good point on ease of travel with SL6. This was one of my major reasons for buying SL6 instead of other modern bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jugi

by Jugi

calleking wrote:Seeing this SL7 makes me even more happy with my rim braked SL6. Light, aero, comfy, easy to work on and easy to travel with. I love its simplicity. One of the best bikes of the pre-disc era.

I have very similar thoughts. I predicted the SL6 being the swan song of the rim braking road bicycle so I got one, and it may end up being just that.

Right now it looks like all things I appreciate in a road bike may just have converged almost perfectly in the rim brake SL6, so why not acquire another frame when the phase-out begins.

Shrike

by Shrike

Maybe they'll do another run of the SL6 rim, keep it going for a bit, sell it alongside the 7.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm an SL4, SL5 and SL6 Sworks guy, they just fit me and my riding style well.

But would I go SL7? If it's disc only then without hesitation, no. I'm not ready for that yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

After being caught in another torrential. downpour with lots of standing water and little braking on carbon wheels with rim brakes. Regardless of what I get for my next bike it will have disk brakes.