2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

spartan wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:43 pm
the roval rapides+swcotton tires . stock on the tested sl7. major advantage over the rest. extra 10+ watts. game over.
Same story. Basically between similar road bikes the story is all in wheels and tyres, frame is down to ride feel.

To truly assess a frame it's BYO tyres and wheels for most every bike. Good to know for the more cost effective brands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Sleeprequired wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 pm
spartan wrote:
the roval rapides+swcotton tires . stock on the tested sl7. major advantage over the rest. extra 10+ watts. game over.
Same story. Basically between similar road bikes the story is all in wheels and tyres, frame is down to ride feel.

To truly assess a frame it's BYO tyres and wheels for most every bike. Good to know for the more cost effective brands.
Playing down the sl7 result because they bring wheels and tires doesn't make much sense. They were comparing different offerings from different manufacturers. If the offering from specialized brings better wheels and tires then the tarmac sl7 offering is superior.

It's like saying "let's compare team A vs B" and someone says "you can't because team A has player 1, 2 and 3 that are clearly superior to all the players in team. B" - if that's the case then there's no arguing that team A is better. That was the goal of the exercise in the first place!

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

pmprego wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:53 pm
It's like saying "let's compare team A vs B" and someone says "you can't because team A has player 1, 2 and 3 that are clearly superior to all the players in team. B" - if that's the case then there's no arguing that team A is better. That was the goal of the exercise in the first place!
No it's not like that at all. Especially with consumables like tires. Might as well sell your bike with fancy wax so that it'll be faster during a mag review.

I can put those wheels and tires on any of the other bikes. That doesn't make the SL7 (which is a frame) better.

Unless you keep your bikes 100% stock, in which case you're just leaving gains on the table anyway.

If you care about having the best bike, you should be choosing the best frame and then adding the best components for your preferences and use cases.

There's definitely a place for stock bike comparisons since many people buy them that way, but you can't draw solid conclusions about a frame when all the components are different.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

adriant wrote:I trying to check if I can ride on an 58 frame.

I compared my old bike with a new SL7 in size 58

https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-compar ... spacer2=45

It seems the SL7 in 58 is lower is 11 mm. I think that might be manageable by my back.

Could someone with a 58 frame give me some measurement?

I want to know the distance between from axle to the middle of the stem. (with all the spacers under the stem)
And the max length from the middle of bb to the top of the saddle ( on my current bike is 851 mm)

I feel my old bike a bit to long for me, my saddle was all the way to the front and I had a small stem.
I think a smaller frame could fit me better. But I have long legs and small chest.
I'm 193cm tall with 96cm inseam.
Get a proper bike fit and they’ll tell you your “ideal” frame size. You can decide how aggressive or conservative you want to be.

Tarmac’s traditionally have tall head-tubes. That frame has to cater to a wide audience. SL7 is probably the most aggressive Tarmac to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:23 am

It seems the SL7 in 58 is lower is 11 mm. I think that might be manageable by my back.

I want to know the distance between from axle to the middle of the stem. (with all the spacers under the stem)
And the max length from the middle of bb to the top of the saddle ( on my current bike is 851 mm)

I feel my old bike a bit to long for me, my saddle was all the way to the front and I had a small stem.
I think a smaller frame could fit me better. But I have long legs and small chest.
Get a proper bike fit and they’ll tell you your “ideal” frame size. You can decide how aggressive or conservative you want to be.

Tarmac’s traditionally have tall head-tubes. That frame has to cater to a wide audience. SL7 is probably the most aggressive Tarmac to date.

NOW THERE'S SOME GOOD ADVICE. Bike fit is #1, even better if you can do it before you purchase your bike. Frame size, stem length, handlebar width, overall geometry. Not to mention endurance increase from being in the right postion. All that before you even start the conversation about power.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

pmprego wrote:
Sleeprequired wrote:
spartan wrote:

Playing down the sl7 result because they bring wheels and tires doesn't make much sense. They were comparing different offerings from different manufacturers. If the offering from specialized brings better wheels and tires then the tarmac sl7 offering is superior.

the goal of my statement was comparing frames. I'm not playing it down either, I'm buying one but doesn't mean you have to drink the kool aid.

In a review situation they obviously don't have the resources, or more accurately the inclination with paid reviews, to start swapping out components.

My point was that if you did do that, you'd truly get an accurate comparison of the frame.

4 minutes is probably what we should be talking about. It would be interesting to test the times again with the same wheels, would be 'close' I reckon and then the choice would come down to ride feel (and cost depending on what you're looking for) etc.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Sleeprequired wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:16 am
Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:23 am

NOW THERE'S SOME GOOD ADVICE. Bike fit is #1, even better if you can do it before you purchase your bike. Frame size, stem length, handlebar width, overall geometry. Not to mention endurance increase from being in the right postion. All that before you even start the conversation about power.
FWIW if you are buying from a shop, they should be able to include a bike fit for free or at a reduced price if you are ordering a bike from them.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

I like it. The Instagram post from speciaized road has actual photos of the new colours too
Attachments
9F1CF258-EBED-4230-B942-DF645054FE89.jpeg
4D4C42E9-3122-4461-99A7-B857FEDC33FB.jpeg

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Sleeprequired wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Sleeprequired wrote:
spartan wrote:

the goal of my statement was comparing frames. I'm not playing it down either, I'm buying one but doesn't mean you have to drink the kool aid.

In a review situation they obviously don't have the resources, or more accurately the inclination with paid reviews, to start swapping out components.

My point was that if you did do that, you'd truly get an accurate comparison of the frame.

4 minutes is probably what we should be talking about. It would be interesting to test the times again with the same wheels, would be 'close' I reckon and then the choice would come down to ride feel (and cost depending on what you're looking for) etc.
I enjoyed it when TOUR MAG - always used the same wheels for their wind tunnel tests. Now… no so much Image

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Sleeprequired wrote:I like it. The Instagram post from speciaized road has actual photos of the new colours too
That grey is sweet! Bummer that the Pro model colors are pretty blah, white with green lettering? Image

KebabKillah

by KebabKillah

Maddie wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 pm
For those thinking about stem/handlebar alternatives. Farsports F1:

Nice build! Love your seatpost, great work. I paint cars and bikes. You did the paint job yourself. Sanding the frame and all?
The wheels are Farsports?
S-Works Tarmac sl7
Ricca Modelo Uno custom Ultegra di2
Look AL 246 Ultegra 6600
BMC Speedfox Sram NX

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

KebabKillah wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:30 am
Maddie wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 pm
For those thinking about stem/handlebar alternatives. Farsports F1:

Nice build! Love your seatpost, great work. I paint cars and bikes. You did the paint job yourself. Sanding the frame and all?
The wheels are Farsports?
Love the frame raw carbon. Custom?

Maddie

by Maddie

Thanks. I also made seatposts for my SL6 and Venge, Venge being the lightest (100g exactly). I sanded the frame and fork down to bare carbon, around 60g in total. Meanwhile I painted the frame to black matte and added some DIY decals. I get bored with colors all the time :lol: :lol: I think I posted a pic a few pages back. Bike is not ready to ride since I'm waiting for 12s cassette and derailleurs.

WRT wheels: Correct, Farsports Feders with RD-230 hubs. 1140g the wheelset.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

Maddie wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 am
Thanks. I also made seatposts for my SL6 and Venge, Venge being the lightest (100g exactly). I sanded the frame and fork down to bare carbon, around 60g in total. Meanwhile I painted the frame to black matte and added some DIY decals. I get bored with colors all the time :lol: :lol: I think I posted a pic a few pages back. Bike is not ready to ride since I'm waiting for 12s cassette and derailleurs.

WRT wheels: Correct, Farsports Feders with RD-230 hubs. 1140g the wheelset.
Noice. Weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

6.65kg with 11s groupset. Not sure where I'll end up with 12s.