2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gruppetto

by gruppetto

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:07 pm
I'm building up a Venge. Should I order the same compression ring? The venge manual references S182500010, so not S202500008
Original Venge compression ring was already a different one than the one on the SL 7 and I would suggest using the original compression ring, rather than one that is not intented for the use with your bike, you might break something that is totally fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sunco1

by sunco1

I recently built my SL7 frame and it came with the two-piece compression ring and shim setup as is shown as the "correct" part. The expander plug was the normal Specialized version - not the super long one from the DR video.

I bought the frame only a few months ago. It was marked as a 2021 frame (I think).
Attachments
IMG_9799.jpg

Maddie

by Maddie

You can't use the new SL7 compression ring on the Venge. The slots for the bearing cap are rotated 180° front vs rear. They physically can be combined but both compression ring and bearing cap have guides for the brake lines. If you combine a Venge bearing cap with an SL7 compression ring, these guides don't line up.

Apart from that, the Venge compression ring is just fine.

BLUTACK

by BLUTACK

Checked 2020 S-Works Sl7 (purchased Nov 2020) - nothing wrong with carbon fork

tylermenard

by tylermenard

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:58 am
smeady wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:09 am
Bummer, was hoping to pick up a SL7 Pro w/ Di2. Would my best bet now be to get an Expert UDi2 and separately get some aero bars and new wheels? That would essentially be the same thing but with a bit more work on my part (and more options for parts)
Yeah, that's my plan as well. 2022 Expert UDi2 12 SPD and slap some 38 cm Rapide handlebars with longer stem and different wheels on it. Although I'm personally leaning towards Alpinist CL/(maybe even Terra CL) since there's no CL version of the Rapide wheels for the aftermarket as of yet.
Doing the same thing. 2022 Expert on order but swapping handlebars for some 38cm Rapide. Still debating on what to do with the wheels. It's either new Ultegra C50 or Roval CL50. Leaning towards Roval for the lifetime warrenty vs the 2 year warrenty on the Shimano.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

ryanw wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:20 am
To put into context:

Aug 2020 SL7
10,000km
82-90kg sprinter
Aggressive riding style
Jump potholes, off kerbs, fool about on the bike
Running Extralite expander

No damage to steerer at all.
Some tiny marks on the front either side of the front brake hose, but this is almost just like the carbon has been polished. Zero indentations.

The clamping area from the stem has left worse marks than the Mk1 cable guide shim.
That's very encouraging.

Obviously with a recall we want to make sure we exercise the appropriate caution, and recommend ALL people take their bikes into the shops to be checked, or if they're capable check it themselves provided they have the appropriate documentation.

That said, it's good to see the bikes coming in clear so far.

Very valuable service you're providing ryamw, I will be sending this onto a friend who is very concerned about this issue.

My bike is still on order.

My firm belief is the measure of a company isn't made when things go right, it's made when things go wrong.

I'm happy with the specialized response to an obvious engineering error.

Maybe the issue is in the way it's built? Might be exceptionally rare?

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

That's why you buy from a big brand like Specialized.

I have had several situations in which Spesh has went above and beyond to take care of me as a customer.

Even if this is an issue (which I don't think it is), just stop by your LBS and get it swapped free of charge.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

gruppetto wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Original Venge compression ring was already a different one than the one on the SL 7 and I would suggest using the original compression ring, rather than one that is not intented for the use with your bike, you might break something that is totally fine.
Yeah makes sense. The venge cable routing is designed like the old SL7 version though (could rub the same way), so I'm curious whether they will make the same changes to those too.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

Ride4Life wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:04 pm

I have had several situations in which Spesh has went above and beyond to take care of me as a customer.

Even if this is an issue (which I don't think it is), just stop by your LBS and get it swapped free of charge.
I'm with the sentiment but there definitely IS an issue due to the need for a recall. No company issues a recall without a specific issue.

And the consequences of fork failure are simply to profound to ignore.

smeady

by smeady

Got a deposit down at my LBS for a 2022 SL7 Expert. Was told best case I can expect it Q2 2022 but most likely sometime Q3 2022. Swapping the bars for ENVE aero.

Trying to decide now if I should stick with the Rapide C38 wheels, or upgrade. If I upgraded I'm leaning towards ENVE SES 4.5 AR or maybe HED Jet 6. Not sure how much of an upgrade either is, I'm pretty unfamiliar with wheels. Might have to check out the Roval CL50s as another option.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

smeady wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:08 am
Got a deposit down at my LBS for a 2022 SL7 Expert. Was told best case I can expect it Q2 2022 but most likely sometime Q3 2022. Swapping the bars for ENVE aero.

Trying to decide now if I should stick with the Rapide C38 wheels, or upgrade. If I upgraded I'm leaning towards ENVE SES 4.5 AR or maybe HED Jet 6. Not sure how much of an upgrade either is, I'm pretty unfamiliar with wheels. Might have to check out the Roval CL50s as another option.
I would upgrade if you can the C38 aren't particularly light or aero.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

tylermenard wrote:
K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:58 am
smeady wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:09 am
Bummer, was hoping to pick up a SL7 Pro w/ Di2. Would my best bet now be to get an Expert UDi2 and separately get some aero bars and new wheels? That would essentially be the same thing but with a bit more work on my part (and more options for parts)
Yeah, that's my plan as well. 2022 Expert UDi2 12 SPD and slap some 38 cm Rapide handlebars with longer stem and different wheels on it. Although I'm personally leaning towards Alpinist CL/(maybe even Terra CL) since there's no CL version of the Rapide wheels for the aftermarket as of yet.
Doing the same thing. 2022 Expert on order but swapping handlebars for some 38cm Rapide. Still debating on what to do with the wheels. It's either new Ultegra C50 or Roval CL50. Leaning towards Roval for the lifetime warrenty vs the 2 year warrenty on the Shimano.
Stay away from round spokes, way too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Sleeprequired wrote:
Ride4Life wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:04 pm

I'm with the sentiment but there definitely IS an issue due to the need for a recall. No company issues a recall without a specific issue.

And the consequences of fork failure are simply to profound to ignore.
Glad to see them remedy this situation. But not their first recall in regards to forks. There was one on the SL5 previously, which they made right.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

smeady wrote:Got a deposit down at my LBS for a 2022 SL7 Expert. Was told best case I can expect it Q2 2022 but most likely sometime Q3 2022. Swapping the bars for ENVE aero.

Hyper wheels, carbon spokes wheels weight similar to CLX 50 with ceramic bearings for $1200 - days are numbered for wheels over $2000

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ronin416 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:29 am
smeady wrote:Got a deposit down at my LBS for a 2022 SL7 Expert. Was told best case I can expect it Q2 2022 but most likely sometime Q3 2022. Swapping the bars for ENVE aero.

Hyper wheels, carbon spokes wheels weight similar to CLX 50 with ceramic bearings for $1200 - days are numbered for wheels over $2000

26mm wide wheels are so 2015 or so.. no thanks.

Yes ARs or HED's would be an upgrade in my opinion.. although if you go HED, look at the newer RC line.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com