2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mistap

by mistap

zmjones wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:20 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:05 pm
Turrifik wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:19 am
EsotericCyclist wrote: Liking it a lot so far though! A very different ride compared to my Aeroad.
Very nice. You prefer the SL7 to Aeroad?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I took back a KOM yesterday on the Sl7's maiden voyage so I think it's safe to say I'm getting along with it pretty well. Haven't even dialed the fit in so that bodes well for things to come.

Initial impressions on the SL7: It's much faster than I thought it was going to be. Coming from an Aeroad that's just built for speed I was thinking that the SL7 would be just noticeably slower but that hasn't been the case so far. We'll see when I get out on the some long flat straights how it feels but initial impressions are that it's very fast.

It climbs much better than my Aeroad and that bike wasn't necessarily a slouch, it was just meant for the straights and holding speed. Of course there's a weight difference too so that helps the SL7. I will say though that the frame of the Tarmac feels more agile and seems to dance up climbs.

I would equate the initial feeling of the two bikes to something I felt back in my motorcycle sport bike days. To me, my Aeroad is a bike that I feel like I'm perched on top of when I ride it. When I ride the Tarmac it feels like I'm sitting "in" the bike.
i just broke my aeroad (bb/chainstay cracking) and completed an sl7 build. feels much stiffer to me but likewise it feels just about as fast. can't say i feel the ~1lb weight drop. very much appreciate the ability to adjust stem length/angle and choose my own bars.
Bike looks great ! - can i ask what Varia mount that is?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zmjones

by zmjones

mistap wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:31 am
zmjones wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:20 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:05 pm
Turrifik wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:19 am

Very nice. You prefer the SL7 to Aeroad?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I took back a KOM yesterday on the Sl7's maiden voyage so I think it's safe to say I'm getting along with it pretty well. Haven't even dialed the fit in so that bodes well for things to come.

Initial impressions on the SL7: It's much faster than I thought it was going to be. Coming from an Aeroad that's just built for speed I was thinking that the SL7 would be just noticeably slower but that hasn't been the case so far. We'll see when I get out on the some long flat straights how it feels but initial impressions are that it's very fast.

It climbs much better than my Aeroad and that bike wasn't necessarily a slouch, it was just meant for the straights and holding speed. Of course there's a weight difference too so that helps the SL7. I will say though that the frame of the Tarmac feels more agile and seems to dance up climbs.

I would equate the initial feeling of the two bikes to something I felt back in my motorcycle sport bike days. To me, my Aeroad is a bike that I feel like I'm perched on top of when I ride it. When I ride the Tarmac it feels like I'm sitting "in" the bike.
i just broke my aeroad (bb/chainstay cracking) and completed an sl7 build. feels much stiffer to me but likewise it feels just about as fast. can't say i feel the ~1lb weight drop. very much appreciate the ability to adjust stem length/angle and choose my own bars.
Bike looks great ! - can i ask what Varia mount that is?
raceware. highly recommend them for all your weird mounting needs.

xDOMx

by xDOMx

A few different parts and tweaks (some fairly obvious) to make as time goes on, but this is my new 54cm SL7 carbon / snake eyes logo colourway.

7.2kg with Assioma Duo pedals, or 6.9kg as pictured.

Nick38

by Nick38

Have any of you guys used the "Invisiframe" kit for the SL7? Just wondering how good a fit and coverage it is. Just saved it the other day when I lost the Back end on some gravel on the road and I'm thinking giving the frame as mush coverage as possible may help should I drop it especially as it's blue spectral flair and so far I've kept it pretty much immaculate for the last 18 months :mrgreen:

scottydonald

by scottydonald

xDOMx wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:11 pm
A few different parts and tweaks (some fairly obvious) to make as time goes on, but this is my new 54cm SL7 carbon / snake eyes logo colourway.

I like, first SL7 i have seen with 11 speed RED.

xDOMx

by xDOMx

scottydonald wrote:
xDOMx wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:11 pm

I like, first SL7 i have seen with 11 speed RED.
Thanks.

Actually the groupset choice was down to: (i) having a groupset that was on a bike I don’t use (donor parts, basically); (ii) lack of (or difficult) availability of new SRAM Red; and (iii) aesthetics (not a fan of how new SRAM Red looks, or at least the cranks).

mlosco

by mlosco

Hi all -- I'm in the middle of upgrading my SL7 from Ultegra R8070 to Dura-Ace R-9270. I'm stuck, however, on the FD hanger (S201900003), which I tried to remove to re-run the Di2 cable. The hanger is attached to the frame with two 2.5mm hex screws. When I went to remove them, they stripped right away. (After trying a few different hex wrenches, it seems like the LBS must have over-torqued them or used too strong a threadlocker.) The FD hanger is now stuck on the seat tube with an 8070 Di2 cable hanging out of it. Facepalm. Has anyone else run into a similar issue? I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this short of taking it back to the shop.

Noeh

by Noeh

mlosco wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:57 am
The FD hanger is now stuck on the seat tube with an 8070 Di2 cable hanging out of it.
Drill it out with a screw extractor
2022 Tarmac SL7 Pro for Waifu [7.3kg]
2021 Tarmac SL7 Pro [7.2kg]
2018 CAAD12 [7.5kg]

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Nick38 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:37 pm
Have any of you guys used the "Invisiframe" kit for the SL7? Just wondering how good a fit and coverage it is. Just saved it the other day when I lost the Back end on some gravel on the road and I'm thinking giving the frame as mush coverage as possible may help should I drop it especially as it's blue spectral flair and so far I've kept it pretty much immaculate for the last 18 months :mrgreen:
Really good coverage.

I think its qouted at 95% coverage or something like that.

There is the tiniest gap where the pieces meet, but thats about as good as your going to get unless you take it to a professional who wraps cars in PFF.

I'm a fan of wrapping frames as I like my bike looking as good as long as possible.

JG220

by JG220

Shiny :D

The transition from satin black to red tint with the overlay of metallic silver white:

Nick38

by Nick38

Ride4Life wrote:
Nick38 wrote:
Really good coverage.

There is the tiniest gap where the pieces meet, but thats about as good as your going to get unless you take it to a professional who wraps cars in PFF.

I'm a fan of wrapping frames as I like my bike looking as good as long as possible.
Cheers Ride4Life. Did you fit yours yourself? If so was it difficult? I’d class myself as pretty handy, built bikes etc but nothing like this.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Won't see many of these around.

Absolutely stunning in the light.

Size 54 with new Silca mount.
Attachments
50B33583-614D-4CC7-AD2E-236587BCE1A8.jpeg
F75FDA2D-6871-4280-AD69-F5C54A7D65FD.jpeg
2444E9EE-5061-4989-A0E5-61BC044276EC.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Nick38 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 5:18 pm
Ride4Life wrote:
Nick38 wrote:
Really good coverage.

Cheers Ride4Life. Did you fit yours yourself? If so was it difficult? I’d class myself as pretty handy, built bikes etc but nothing like this.
I have before.

Watch a few YouTube videos and maybe buy a cheap roll off PFF of eBay to practice with before using the actual invisiframe kit.

It's one of those things that takes practice but once you get the technique down it's pretty straight forward.

Those gaps between pieces are great for beginners. It allows a margin of error, and the ability to get the soap bubbles out.

JackMak

by JackMak

Just recived my warranty SL7 frame, does this gap below the lower spacer seem normal? Can't seem to remember what it was on my old frame. download/file.php?mode=view&id=98100&si ... 91a9c561c4
Attachments
IMG_0203.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com