2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Weasel

by Weasel

pmprego wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:32 am

Looks very nice. And that weight is unbeatable.

I did something similar with a friend and his aethos. Was also a faff but due to the proprietary front caliper adaptor. We had to machine one. But it's working just fine at 5.6kg
5.6kg sounds nice! Not sure there's a huge amount I could do to reduce the Tarmac much more. I think it's at 6.47 at the moment, so if Darimo ever come out with an inline seatpost, and a very lightweight saddle might get me close to 6.3, but really I'm quite happy with it how it is.

Actually you mentioning the brake caliper reminded me - I did also have to cut down the rear caliper adjustment screw and glue on a shorter knurled nut instead, so there's just a couple of mm gap in the rear triangle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

kofsw4 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:28 am
zappafile123 wrote:
Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:23 am
guyc wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 pm
$14000 for an off the shelf mass-produced bike is insane.

Those big WT team sponsorships have to be paid for somewhere I guess.
Pffft, thats nothing!
Wait till you pay the "Australia tax"
We get ripped off here on pretty much everything compared to what the rest of the world pays
S-Works SL7 with either Red AXS or 9270 is a cool AU$20100!
Yeah wow... 20k... for a Tarmac when in 5 years time they be flipped for 5k. Its sort of a joke. 20k back in the day would get you something utterly exclusive and unique... and it still does!

To dubiously extrapolate go off my own values... I reckon allotting a maximum of 10% of one's annual disposable income a year on cycling is within the bounds of being 'reasonable'. That means an individual should have an annual disaposable income of roughly $200,000 to be considered to be (economically) 'reasonable' when purchasing a 2022 Sworks Tarmac 9270.

In the end I am interested in the economics of the price hike. How is this affecting demand? Would Specialized be better off lowering the price so more people can buy more units? Or is this new era of hyper expensive Tarmac ushering in new wealth?
I like your way of thinking about allocating 10% of disposable income to cycling (although I think even this is quite a lot but it depends on so many other factors) but even by your own figures, the s-works will cost you 15k over 5 years, ie 3k per year, and so you 'only' need to have 30k per year to 'afford' it.
I think of years as being discrete for spending baskets like that. Think about your own spending behaviour when you're a kid (which still applies to adulthood!). You beg your parent for an early birthday present, they'd given and get it for you, then your birthday rolls around and you still want something!

Basically, if I would blew out my budget one year, I'd come up with very good reasons not to restrcit it the next year.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Maddie wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:41 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 am
Aren't there only 3 ports on the stem cover for standard stems?

Edit: I'm super interested in this. I have a Venge on the way and assumed I'd have to get an electronic groupset. But this means I might be able to transfer my mechanical R9100 set over.
In contrast to the SL7, the last Venge is not ready for mechanical shifting, it's Di2 only. The problem is the front derailleur
R9100 FD has a cable stop, so maybe it would be possible. Would require some drilling on the headset, for sure. But maybe possible otherwise, then

Maddie

by Maddie

And how do you route the cable in the BB area? On the Venge, there is no cable guide and no hole for the cable to leave the frame. That's the reason I said the problem is the FD. The cable stop on the FD itself won't solve this issue

Weasel

by Weasel

Yes - I think that's probably correct. On the SL7, the front mech cable goes round the BB and into a fitting at the back of the wheel cutout, where the inner wire routes to the front mech. The Venge doesn't have the massive clearance though in front of the rear wheel, so if you're thinking of opening up the di2 wire hole in the frame, I'm not sure if it's location would work for a cable?

zik

by zik

Hi,
I just received Tarmac SL7 Comp 2022, and have two question:
1.I have a hole in frame behind the rear wheel, this hole is not covered by any seal - is this normal? is there any seal to order to protect the frame from dust and water?
2.I don't see any hole near front derailleur for a di2 cables, does this mean that this bike is not compatible with di2?

thanks.

Maddie

by Maddie

There is no cover where the mech cable for the FD would exit. If it worries you, you can cut something out of helicopter tape to cover the hole.

The hole for the Di2 cable is located between the 2 bolts of the FD hanger. You don't see it when the hanger is mounted.

Weasel

by Weasel

There were some additional grommets that came with my S-Works frameset - I assume one of them might be to blank that cable hole, so I'd guess you can get them?
Attachments
00992BCC-F13D-4206-A974-A4C396DFA58A.jpeg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

zik wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:34 am
Hi,
I just received Tarmac SL7 Comp 2022, and have two question:
1.I have a hole in frame behind the rear wheel, this hole is not covered by any seal - is this normal? is there any seal to order to protect the frame from dust and water?
2.I don't see any hole near front derailleur for a di2 cables, does this mean that this bike is not compatible with di2?

thanks.
Should have the flat / plain larger grommet in the hole behind the seattube, and the Di2 wire goes behind the front mech mount.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

zik

by zik

I didn't received any additional grommets with my frame, are they for sale?

Weasel

by Weasel

I'd just go back to the shop you bought it from if they're missing.
If you bought it second hand though, I think the Specialized dealers should be able to order them(?)

milanv

by milanv

Weasel wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 am
I'd just go back to the shop you bought it from if they're missing.
If you bought it second hand though, I think the Specialized dealers should be able to order them(?)
Yes, they can.

riochang

by riochang

2022 new colors for non s-works

SL7 Pro:
Carbon / Smoke / Metallic White Silver
Chameleon Silver Green Tint Over White/Snake Eye

SL7 Expert:
Maroon / Black / Light Silver
Tropical Teal / Chameleon Eyris
GLOSS CARBON/OIL TINT/FOREST GREEN

moyboy

by moyboy

what stem is that?

Maddie

by Maddie

These are renderings, probably from a fan. Cranks for the old BB30 bottom bracket, etap 11s levers etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com