2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Hi. Has anyone had any issues with their BB tolerances/misalignment?

My 2022 Expert came with BBR60 Ultegra which I swapped for BB-R9100 Dura-Ace during the build process. Reason? You could say 'Just because'. I wanted the best. So heck, why not - I thought to myself.

I've got a Diverge with a BSA as well so I'd always find a use for the BBR60 and it's a good idea to keep a spare BB just in case.

I did everything right during the install. Torqued the cups to spec, applied Shimano premium grease to the spindle, paid special attention NOT TO OVERTORQUE the plastic preload bolt on the left crank. Tightened both bolts evenly to 13 Nm.

I received the bike late January and started building it up. First ride was on 4/21/2022. 2 months and 2000 km later the BB starts creaking when going 450+ Watts at lower-ish cadence <80. Both sides. Small and big ring. It's just a single 'click' or a 'pop' during the downstroke. Both sides. Can replicate it both standing and sitting. And I'm a light rider - 65 kg.

There's no lateral play on the spindle - the preload is perfect. The bike has NEVER BEEN PRESSURE WASHED. Always cleaned with a sponge. I'm pretty autistic about these things. Only twice during those 2 months have I been caught by rain.

Anyway, I tried to troubleshoot many different things before locating the problem - the derailleur hanger, the cassette, the pedals. Removed, cleaned (did not disassemble) and reinstalled the BB.
Only when I was at my wit's end and ended up swapping it for the original BBR60 Ultegra the problem disappeared.

Last week I sent the BB-R9100 to Shimano for a warranty claim with a detailed description of the issue. Their response? DENIED. "Lack of/wrong maintenance."
Called them up today. They tried to suggest the customer was using a pressure washer. LOL. When I asked them if they found any evidence of pressure washing, damaged seals, corrosion etc. they went silent. I guess blaming the customer is just their standard practice in these sort of warranty claims. Also how are you supposed to "maintain" a freakin' BSA threaded BB during the FIRST 2 MONTHS of its use? LOL. I'm going to pursue this further when I get the BB-R9100 back.

Anyway, now I'm back on the BBR60. No creaking. But could there perhaps be misalignment in the frame that's causing premature wear on the bearings after just 2000 km? That's like 60 - 65 hours of riding. The cranks spin relatively freely - for a Shimano BB. Obviously it's no CeramicSpeed or good ol' Square Taper-level of spinning, but there's no obvious draggy spot. They go for 3-4 revolutions during the free spin test.

Thoughts?
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

macwatt

by macwatt

Last edited by macwatt on Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nooks

by Nooks

macwatt wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:36 am
Hi not sure how light you want your SL7 to be but I purchased a SL7 comp and fitted Aerofly II handlebar, Roval Rapide CLX wheels, SRAM RED Quarq PM and lately changed cassette to Force 10-33. The bike in a size 52 weighs 7.2 kg and total cost at the time (some parts were discounted) would have been within your budget you can see pics further up the thread.
Well with the budget I am not able to aim for <7 kg...it will be a process. So somewhere around 7.2kg would be really nice. Maybe with some Feder wheels or something like that, because I haven't seen Rapide CLX for a reasonable price :( I am 179 cm tall with 82,5 cm inseam so size 54 i guess. Two days ago I went to check Aethos in size 54 and 56 and honestly I am not sure which size is better for me. Aethos 54 looked kinda small and Tarmac has similar geo. Need to visit some bikefitter before I pull the trigger.

macwatt

by macwatt

Nooks wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:40 pm
Hi guys!
For quite some time reading this forum, watching all the youtube videos I am still more convinced to build a SL7 of my own and leave my rim brake canyon aeroad to someone else. (Was on the fence with Aethos, and maybe still am...but I also like overall speed)

Don't you have a tip where to buy a frameset in Europe? I'm from Czech republic and all the shops/eshops have it pretty pricey. It doesn't have to be S-Works, I'm ok with 10r frame:) My budget for whole bike is 7k euros max, I hope I'm not too foolish and it is manageable. Maybe even SL6 frameset would be fine — more room for better components. (SL6 doesn't have to be new)

Thanks for your tips!
Hi not sure how light you want your SL7 to be but I purchased a SL7 comp and fitted Aerofly II handlebar, Roval Rapide CLX wheels, SRAM RED Quarq PM and lately changed cassette to Force 10-33. The bike in a size 52 weighs 7.2 kg and total cost at the time (some parts were discounted) would have been within your budget you can see pics further up the thread.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

TLN wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:35 pm
What's tire clearance on SL7? Can you run Enve AR with 32c measured tires?
My 30s on the new ENVE 4.5 measure over 33 and there is no issue there.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Nooks wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:40 pm

Don't you have a tip where to buy a frameset in Europe? I'm from Czech republic and all the shops/eshops have it pretty pricey. It doesn't have to be S-Works, I'm ok with 10r frame:) My budget for whole bike is 7k euros max, I hope I'm not too foolish and it is manageable. Maybe even SL6 frameset would be fine — more room for better components. (SL6 doesn't have to be new)
If you're in Czech, have you tried to call Spectrum bike? They're the only specialized dealer I've come across in CZ that had reasonable prices. I picked up a SL7 Pro for 180k czk from them in November. Could be worth giving them a call and see if they have anything coming. With a 7k budget you might need to wait until winter, at least that was my experience when in a similar situation last year.

req110

by req110

Nooks wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 am
macwatt wrote:
Well with the budget I am not able to aim for <7 kg...it will be a process. So somewhere around 7.2kg would be really nice. Maybe with some Feder wheels or something like that, because I haven't seen Rapide CLX for a reasonable price :( I am 179 cm tall with 82,5 cm inseam so size 54 i guess. Two days ago I went to check Aethos in size 54 and 56 and honestly I am not sure which size is better for me. Aethos 54 looked kinda small and Tarmac has similar geo. Need to visit some bikefitter before I pull the trigger.
Spektrum Bike, SBC Radotin, Kolokram, SP Kolo, Cyklo 69...

Expect price 120k CZK+ for s-works frameset, that's reality. Not sure about fact 10r.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Nooks

by Nooks

req110 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:31 pm
Nooks wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 am
macwatt wrote:
Spektrum Bike, SBC Radotin, Kolokram, SP Kolo, Cyklo 69...

Expect price 120k CZK+ for s-works frameset, that's reality. Not sure about fact 10r.
Oh yea, I am familiar with all those resellers, maybe after the season there will be some sales or something. I had in my mind some tips like for example The Flow Bike from Italy is offering Aethos S-Works frameset for 3750e instead of 5200.

Spectrum bike is sometimes selling a test bike, maybe will have luck with that offer.

req110

by req110

I haven't seen much deals on sworks bikes in my life. Seems to me it's some policy to maintain the reputation of brand being high class.

Do not expect purchasing sworks sl7 frameset below 110-120k CZK.

Total opposite is cannondale, you get supersix hi mod for 100k CZK when it's new, but then at the end of the season you can get bargain deal for half. Which is pretty frustrating.

Aethos may be an exception since there is most probably a low demand.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

req110 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:47 pm
I haven't seen much deals on sworks bikes in my life. Seems to me it's some policy to maintain the reputation of brand being high class.

Total opposite is cannondale, you get supersix hi mod for 100k CZK when it's new, but then at the end of the season you can get bargain deal for half. Which is pretty frustrating.

If brand matters you may be SOL, but if you want a light bike that is compliant and aero, the new propel will likely check those boxes and be cheaper. I do not know how much Factor sways on prices but the Ostro Vam is also in this vein

Nooks

by Nooks

req110 wrote:

I will be checking prices on 10r frameset. Build S-Works withing 7k euros +- is nearly impossible i guess.

Yea, I noticed that Supersix does that, it is also a viable option because It also checks the boxes of an all-rounder bike. I really like cannondale brand, was riding FSi when I was competing and CAAD for training, but something, don't know what, feels not 100% when I think of Supersix Evo.

req110

by req110

I had SuperSix Evo HM my2021, no problem with that. Upgrade to SL7 was not upgrade that much, but heart-based posh decision.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167131&p=1697778#p1697778

Nooks

by Nooks

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:16 pm
req110 wrote:

If brand matters you may be SOL, but if you want a light bike that is compliant and aero, the new propel will likely check those boxes and be cheaper. I do not know how much Factor sways on prices but the Ostro Vam is also in this vein
More than a brand the looks matter to me the most:) well of course the things as a geometry and ride feel etc, but you know...it is better to spend hard-earned money on something that makes you happy only looking at it. Don't want to offend anyone, taste is a personal thing.

Factor Ostro is an awesome bike, but three guys in my "cycling bubble" have it and I always wanted to be different. I know that some might think, that Tarmac could be widespread, but I don't know anyone personally who would ride one. If Factor then I would want to put my hands on O2 VAM, just to try it, how it rides and feels, that bike is kinda sexy and with deeper wheels, like 45–50 mm, I think it could ride very nicely even on flats.

Nooks

by Nooks

req110 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:13 am
I had SuperSix Evo HM my2021, no problem with that. Upgrade to SL7 was not upgrade that much, but heart-based posh decision.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167131&p=1697778#p1697778
That is a nice one! And also the weight is awesome.
I think I saw a bike from you on Cyklobazar...Factor LS maybe? Was seriously thinking about buying it back then :)

Sorry all for off topic, back to Tarmacs! (I am not able to sent PMs yet)

req110

by req110

Absolutely, cyklobazar is almost my homepage :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com