2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maddie

by Maddie

Very interesting, shiiiison. How did you remove the paint? Always interested how others do it.
I stripped my S-Works SL7 size 54 to 713g. So know we know the weight difference between S-Works and standard Specialized bare frames: 77g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shiiiison

by shiiiison

Maddie,

It was a long process (16-18 hours) but I used a combination of a long utility blade to remove the clear and paint until the grey primer was exposed. Then I would start with 320/400 grit sandpaper to remove the grey primer. For any smaller areas that were difficult to reach I used a paint stir stick and wrapped the sandpaper around it which provided the precision to safely remove the rest.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Was talking to a painter the other day, and he said Spesh have a process where if the paint finish does not pass QC, it just goes back into the conveyor belt to be repainted in its entirety. So he's had instances where after stripping one coat/logo off, there was a different colour underneath with another logo. Sometimes 3 layers. So if any of you are finding frame weights that are materially higher than they should be (for a given frame size) based on the stuff Ryan has been posting, this would perobably be why, as an extra layer of paint can mean +60-100g, depending on the finish.

Just a public service announcement.

Euch

by Euch

shiiiison wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:42 pm
Maddie,

It was a long process (16-18 hours) but I used a combination of a long utility blade to remove the clear and paint until the grey primer was exposed. Then I would start with 320/400 grit sandpaper to remove the grey primer. For any smaller areas that were difficult to reach I used a paint stir stick and wrapped the sandpaper around it which provided the precision to safely remove the rest.
Haha, I know the feeling (see my home repainted SL7 posted a while ago)! I sat in my tub with the frame and wet sanding paper for quite some hours, that was a pretty view!

Are you going to repaint it yourself (sorry, no idea if you're a painter or what your skills are)? What colour? I'm waiting for spring to get a good look on my paintjob, Belgium winter is a bit too dark and cloudy to fully appreciate it...

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

Sleeprequired wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 am
Sanders2177 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:57 pm
Also swapped my Aerofly II bars 40cm for new Rovals 40cm.
Still got to build the bloody thing! 😕
Waiting on the Burgh.cc bar tape to arrive from Aus.
What's the weight on the new Roval handlebars compared to aerofly ii

Cannot remember but Ryan is your man so from memory I think 20g is about right 225g for 40cm
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs
Winspace SLC M Ultegra R8150 no idea of kgs

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Sanders2177 wrote:Hey All

Just purchased a couple of direct mount hangers for Shimano rear derailleur the usual suspect Sigeyi and a brand called Redshift from AliExpress.
Negligible weight difference but does not show on my scales both 12g. Sigey says 12.1g and Redshift 12.5G.
very subtle diffrences in design when compared side by side up close and same material 7075 T6
Sigeyi £34.99 and Redshift £1.47!
Received today after ordering on 30 Dec.
Anyone else purchased same hanger? All good quality wise no snapping or cracking?
Have you fitted the AliX version? Interested in this although they seem to have put the price up to a heady £5 now

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

kofsw4 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:55 pm
Sanders2177 wrote:Hey All

Just purchased a couple of direct mount hangers for Shimano rear derailleur the usual suspect Sigeyi and a brand called Redshift from AliExpress.
Negligible weight difference but does not show on my scales both 12g. Sigey says 12.1g and Redshift 12.5G.
very subtle diffrences in design when compared side by side up close and same material 7075 T6
Sigeyi £34.99 and Redshift £1.47!
Received today after ordering on 30 Dec.
Anyone else purchased same hanger? All good quality wise no snapping or cracking?
Have you fitted the AliX version? Interested in this although they seem to have put the price up to a heady £5 now
Nope.
tbh I will end up fitting the Sigeyi one. Will keep the other as a spare hopefully never to be used.
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Fair enough, will give it a shot anyway, thanks for posting

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

My UK made, 12g-ish DM hangers will be available in the next week or so.

Only machining 10 in the first batch since not cheap, but I'd rather make them here and know they're machined correctly and of the highest quality 7075.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Maddie

by Maddie

Kudos for making prototypes in the UK but I remember you saying something about lighter / stronger / better, right? ;-)

I'm using the Redshift direct mount hangers on two of my Spec bikes, my girlfriend also has one on her SL7. Been using them for a couple of months, as you'd expect, no worries.

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

ryanw wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:10 pm
My UK made, 12g-ish DM hangers will be available in the next week or so.

Only machining 10 in the first batch since not cheap, but I'd rather make them here and know they're machined correctly and of the highest quality 7075.
Ok thought you said you were going to use Ti?
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Heavier, more expensive and more brittle.

I'm doing this for function over flare.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

ryanw wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:11 pm
Heavier, more expensive and more brittle.

I'm doing this for function over flare.
Ok though Ti would be lighter but what do I know 🤷🏻‍♂️
So when you knock some Graphene ones out let me know ok 👍🏻 😂
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs

tortor

by tortor

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:16 pm
Was talking to a painter the other day, and he said Spesh have a process where if the paint finish does not pass QC, it just goes back into the conveyor belt to be repainted in its entirety. So he's had instances where after stripping one coat/logo off, there was a different colour underneath with another logo. Sometimes 3 layers. So if any of you are finding frame weights that are materially higher than they should be (for a given frame size) based on the stuff Ryan has been posting, this would perobably be why, as an extra layer of paint can mean +60-100g, depending on the finish.

Just a public service announcement.
OEM Paint have a really poor quality.
Specialized (and other brands) asks for best price quotes for 10.000 or more frameset paints cost of (50 to 80 usd per frameset). Mainly use of decals under clearcoat. My SL6 before repaint was 915gr. After repaint 760gr.
Price increase due to market is one thing, but on the other side specialized has to respect customers with quality and nice designs. Have you seen ugly paints of 2022. I would say cheap and quick wins paints...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

Sanders2177 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:22 pm
Ok though Ti would be lighter but what do I know 🤷🏻‍♂️
Al is lighter than Ti. Besides, machining titanium is also lot more difficult than aluminium.