2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Spacemedic

by Spacemedic

Any 2022’s out in the wild yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

riochang

by riochang

Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 pm
Are you leaving out the front derailleur and inner chainring in your comparison?

As I heard that Rival group is heavy and they were already heavy starting with Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rival is heavy mainly due to its crankset and cassette.
The weight saving of removing FD + 1x chainring + quarq v1 carbon cranks bring the whole groupset closer to Red level.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

riochang wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 pm
Are you leaving out the front derailleur and inner chainring in your comparison?

As I heard that Rival group is heavy and they were already heavy starting with Force.

Rival is heavy mainly due to its crankset and cassette.
The weight saving of removing FD + 1x chainring + quarq v1 carbon cranks bring the whole groupset closer to Red level.
It be fair if we compare both group sets with 2x chain rings and a front derailleur.

1x on a road isn’t usually enough gearing or you’re stuck with a gear that’s either too high or too low. Great for recreational riders, doesn’t cut it for steep climbs and super fast descents with a tailwind. Can’t wait till 54x11 Dura 12 speed comes out!

riochang

by riochang

Ronin416 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:33 am
It be fair if we compare both group sets with 2x chain rings and a front derailleur.

1x on a road isn’t usually enough gearing or you’re stuck with a gear that’s either too high or too low. Great for recreational riders, doesn’t cut it for steep climbs and super fast descents with a tailwind. Can’t wait till 54x11 Dura 12 speed comes out!

totally agreed with you on 1x range not being enough, but that was before Sram XPLR came out.
44T paired with 10-44T has exactly the same climbing gear as my 2x 46/33T + 10-33T setup, and yes you do lose some top speed when doing super fast descent, 44T vs 46T when pedaling at 90rpm the speed difference is 51 km/h vs 53 km/h.
So the main disadvantage is not the range, but the larger jumps between gears. In my experience riding 1x and 2x, I do notice the larger jumps, but never to the point that I wish there was more gears available to me, YMMV 8)

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

riochang wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 am
Ronin416 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:33 am

totally agreed with you on 1x range not being enough, but that was before Sram XPLR came out.
44T paired with 10-44T has exactly the same climbing gear as my 2x 46/33T + 10-33T setup, and yes you do lose some top speed when doing super fast descent, 44T vs 46T when pedaling at 90rpm the speed difference is 51 km/h vs 53 km/h.
So the main disadvantage is not the range, but the larger jumps between gears. In my experience riding 1x and 2x, I do notice the larger jumps, but never to the point that I wish there was more gears available to me, YMMV 8)
That's always been the problem with 1x for road. You either lose the range of 2x gearing, or you get the range with terrible jumps. It's a "pick one" situation, unless you live in a super flat area. Why pick one when I get the gearing range and easy jumps with 2x? I don't hate 1x, I have it on my CX, MTB, and crit bike. Just not for road racing/riding.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Metaleckz

by Metaleckz

Does the sl7 comp come with s-works stem? I just bought one but the stem says specialized instead of s-works. I can't find any info about regular stem.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Metaleckz wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:04 pm
Does the sl7 comp come with s-works stem? I just bought one but the stem says specialized instead of s-works. I can't find any info about regular stem.
AFAIK it's literally the same one stem on all the SL7 models. The only difference being the text 'S-Works' vs 'Specialized' on the non-S-Works bikes.
Also when buying the stem separately only the S-Works branded version is available.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:18 pm
Metaleckz wrote:
AFAIK it's literally the same one stem on all the SL7 models. The only difference being the text 'S-Works' vs 'Specialized' on the non-S-Works bikes.
Also when buying the stem separately only the S-Works branded version is available.
The S-Works has silver titanium bolts while the "Specialized" stem has black steel bolts. Same stem, different hardware. It's about 8-10g difference. The Pro level frame I bought came with the "Specialized" stem. Only the S-Works frames and bikes get the S-Works stem. You can also buy it online.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Ronin416

by Ronin416

LanceLegstrong wrote:
K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:18 pm
Metaleckz wrote:
The S-Works has silver titanium bolts while the "Specialized" stem has black steel bolts. Same stem, different hardware. It's about 8-10g difference. The Pro level frame I bought came with the "Specialized" stem. Only the S-Works frames and bikes get the S-Works stem. You can also buy it online.
Reminds me of the SWORKS and Specialized branded carbon cranks on the SWORKS frames and the PRO models, but I “think” the only difference at that time was just the branding. My clear coat is so chipped up it wouldn’t matter as I’ll get it refurbished.

Metaleckz

by Metaleckz

thanks guys! ill just get ti bolts then!

Maddie

by Maddie

ome rodriguez wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:52 am
One of a kind in size 56.

https://auction.co2logic.com/itstartswi ... -quickstep
Wowzers!

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

I know durianrider is a troll, especially when it comes to the SL7 and disc brakes...but anyone watch the video he has where he can press in his down tube with his thumb? Would not surprise me if he bought a knock off.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

LBoogie28 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:45 am
I know durianrider is a troll, especially when it comes to the SL7 and disc brakes...but anyone watch the video he has where he can press in his down tube with his thumb? Would not surprise me if he bought a knock off.
You got a link to that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vinny

by vinny

Sleeprequired wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:04 am
LBoogie28 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:45 am
You got a link to that?
Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss31DybJeTQ