2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Theguy

by Theguy

Well it depends on every single body but me being 1.83 height and 89cm inseam I run a 56 size.

54? I checked on it, I mean, first time I saw an sl7 in real life was a 54 size and was way too small for me. For your measures I would try a 54 size but hey it's my opinion, just go to a shop and check on them and if you cannot find an sl7 just check for something similar to see the proper size.

Btw go to ur lbs or someone you trust on because when I went to the shop I just said, was a random one, the guys that were there they told me to buy a 58size I even had to say a couple of times no way And after that they called some other guy from the shop and he said the same, oh man for your height a 58 size would be perfect. F****** I*****

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:00 pm
Anybody got pictures of an SL7 with an integrated bar/stem combo? Something like the Bontrager Aeolus RSL or similar.
This is what I'd go with. The SL7 headset cover for standard stems combined with RSL bar will be the lightest combination and wires will hardly be visible. Since the RSL runs wires somewhat externally, when you remove the little clip (the one that clamps wires to the bar) it will allow for easy bar removal for travel or servicing.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

ill principe wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:13 pm
Maddie wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 pm
For those thinking about stem/handlebar alternatives. Farsports F1:

Great looking bike! It would look even better with all black chainrings. I used acetone to remove the graphics on my Praxis Works Buzz.
Ah this look so nice, I'll retierate my sadness that they dont make a rim brake variant :(
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

CtV

by CtV

Theguy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 am
Well it depends on every single body but me being 1.83 height and 89cm inseam I run a 56 size.

54? I checked on it, I mean, first time I saw an sl7 in real life was a 54 size and was way too small for me. For your measures I would try a 54 size but hey it's my opinion, just go to a shop and check on them and if you cannot find an sl7 just check for something similar to see the proper size.

Btw go to ur lbs or someone you trust on because when I went to the shop I just said, was a random one, the guys that were there they told me to buy a 58size I even had to say a couple of times no way And after that they called some other guy from the shop and he said the same, oh man for your height a 58 size would be perfect. F****** I*****
Well thats so true :D wasnt sure if they just wanted to sell a frame or if it was a valid opinion...This week they will get the bike ready, im gonna try it and decide if im gonna take the 54 or if ill wait for a 52 frame....im not sure but i think there shouldnt be too much of a difference between the two frame sizes considering my bike fit. Puting the saddle in a more normal position (not aaall the way back) would give me 1-2 cm more reach if im right!? so hopefully i could go for the same stem lenght as on my 52 SL6...The only thing that would change imo is that the 54 is 7mm higher in stack hight, that means i had to get rid of all the spacers and hope i can get as low as on the 52..
Looking forward to the new SL7 but same time realy sad having crashed my SL6
Attachments
10D1E79B-C31D-4234-8FCB-A901FA27BA21.jpeg

dsk28

by dsk28

CtV wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:49 am
Theguy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 am

Well thats so true :D wasnt sure if they just wanted to sell a frame or if it was a valid opinion...This week they will get the bike ready, im gonna try it and decide if im gonna take the 54 or if ill wait for a 52 frame....im not sure but i think there shouldnt be too much of a difference between the two frame sizes considering my bike fit. Puting the saddle in a more normal position (not aaall the way back) would give me 1-2 cm more reach if im right!? so hopefully i could go for the same stem lenght as on my 52 SL6...The only thing that would change imo is that the 54 is 7mm higher in stack hight, that means i had to get rid of all the spacers and hope i can get as low as on the 52..
Looking forward to the new SL7 but same time realy sad having crashed my SL6

Just sharing since we have a similar height/inseam:

I'm 175cm with 82cm inseam,
I ride the size 54 with 6.25cm mark on the seatpost.
The 54 is perfectly sized for me.

JAMSXR

by JAMSXR

Height - 181cm
Inseam - 87.3cm
Saddle hight - 75.3cm

Running a 54 which fits really well. Both the bike shop and the Specialized fitting tool (Retul) wanted to put me on a 56. Having spoken with 2 bike fitters and had a 3 hour bike fit, I definitely made the right choice going for the 54. I'm 34 in good shape with reasonable flexibility, my boat feet result in fairly high saddle hight - it was 77cm until the bike fit!

macwatt

by macwatt

thespaniard wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 pm
macwatt wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 pm
DCcyclist wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:06 am
macwatt wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:51 am
Great choice of colours lovely bike 👍

31755877-C189-41DC-9AF1-3AFD87F0669C.jpeg

Current weight 7.8 kg with pedals

Waiting for SRAM Red crankset with power meter to arrive
Where did you get this frame? Do they sell it in the US?
Tarmac SL7 Comp 2022 was purchased in the UK but I'm sure is available to purchase in the US

Updated weight with SRAM Red AXS crankset power meter, Specialized S-Works Power Saddle, Silca latex tubes, pedals, bottle cages and garmin mount 7.4KG

EA79E9B2-CC42-44EF-880E-B0EA6BF7AA68.jpeg
Congrats, that looks sick

Did you change the handlebar too?
I'm looking at that specific model, but I know it comes around 8.24kg for size 52 out of the box. I'm guessing putting a decent set of wheels will save around 400g. What was the next part where you saved the most weight? Crankset?
Hi yes I changed the stock handlebar to the Specialized Aerofly II bar the SRAM Red crankset with Quarq power meter saved 250g of weight remaining weight savings were from the saddle, wheels and tubes.

Theguy

by Theguy

JAMSXR wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:20 am
Height - 181cm
Inseam - 87.3cm
Saddle hight - 75.3cm

Running a 54 which fits really well. Both the bike shop and the Specialized fitting tool (Retul) wanted to put me on a 56. Having spoken with 2 bike fitters and had a 3 hour bike fit, I definitely made the right choice going for the 54. I'm 34 in good shape with reasonable flexibility, my boat feet result in fairly high saddle hight - it was 77cm until the bike fit!
The problem for me at least with a 54 size is the difference between the saddle and the handlebar I mean, right now my saddle height is 79cm and even with the spacers the difference between them is a big gap if I had a 54 size I would ride so uncomfortable.

Maddie

by Maddie

zappafile123 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:20 am
ill principe wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:13 pm
Maddie wrote:

Great looking bike! It would look even better with all black chainrings. I used acetone to remove the graphics on my Praxis Works Buzz.
Ah this look so nice, I'll retierate my sadness that they dont make a rim brake variant :(
Thanks zappafile123. The SL6 rim frame is a good looking piece of kit as well :wink:

I actually went ahead and removed the Praxis graphics yesterday. Funny thing is that I tried this already when I unboxed the chainrings but since the grapics were very stubborn I thought they couldn't be removed with acetone. But thanks to ill principe I tried it once more with more effort et voila. It worked :D

Im 178cm with 81cm inseam, so very short legs (710mm saddle height). I'm on a 54 SL7 frame but was also considering 52. I'm sure a LBS would have suggested a 56. Bike fit is such an individual thing. And many times, LBS just recommends what they have in stock. I don't blame them for that...

CtV

by CtV

Well thanks guys for all the replies! Im just gonna do a bikefit on that 54 size and see how its gonna feel! Maybe it fits me even better then my previous 52..Looking forward to the new bike and to post some pictures of it

jadedaid

by jadedaid

On the size debate, from my experience with bike fits the one area where they are still weak is determining how the fit and size of the bike will affect the handling. The two things that bike fits don't do is address the weight distribution that you will have on the bike and a personal preference for where you like the 'pivot' for the turning to be.

On larger frames I find that this pivot is too far forward (for me this is when I'm running a 90mm or 100mm stem) and my weight is too far behind the front wheel for my preferred handling characteristics. I prefer the smaller frames in this regard and then running a 110-120mm stem (noting that handlebar reach comes into play too, I ride the same bar on my bikes). But this really is a personal preference and you need to go off some experience to find out what you like, or if this matters to you. I tend to find there's always a aero-comfort-power-handling equation that you need to solve for yourself with any fit.
Last edited by jadedaid on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nateners

by nateners

I'm 180 cm with a 84.5 cm inseam and I originally was told (by my lbs) to get a 56cm SL6, which I did, and spent the next year regretting the decision and wanting to be on a 54cm. So I think you go with the 52cm. It's easier to make a smaller bike bigger than the opposite.

sigma

by sigma

Maddie wrote:

Did you need any special spacers or adapters to get the fit flush? Looks terrific!
edit - never mind - just saw they have an SL7 option...
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Theguy

by Theguy

nateners wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 pm
I'm 180 cm with a 84.5 cm inseam and I originally was told (by my lbs) to get a 56cm SL6, which I did, and spent the next year regretting the decision and wanting to be on a 54cm. So I think you go with the 52cm. It's easier to make a smaller bike bigger than the opposite.
The thing about the size, at least for me, is the pain on the neck, I mean, a smaller size makes the bike shorter and that could b even good to ride it, more explosive but then if you have long legs the saddle will b in the same height no matter the size of the frame so it could force you to go with a more aero position all the time and then your neck gonna feel it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uppis

by uppis

Anyone running specializeds direct mount derailleur hanger with SL7? If so did you have to adjust your chain lenght when switching to DM hanger?