Lightweight EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

beanbiken wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:54 am
Wonder why then my Corimas MCC’s are not v shaped with straight sides and appear to have the spokes also bonded to the inside rim walls. I also wond have expected that the round(ish) spokes would be more difficult to shape to suit????
Don't know if this is correct, but i read the rear spokes had no tension?
Anyone?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

C36

by C36

wheelsONfire wrote:
beanbiken wrote:
Wonder why then my Corimas MCC’s are not v shaped with straight sides and appear to have the spokes also bonded to the inside rim walls. I also wond have expected that the round(ish) spokes would be more difficult to shape to suit????
Anyone?
Spokes have no tension (Mavic R-Sys invented the concept) but are a tube able to support compression and traction (other spokes only support traction). Then there is way less stress on the rim so rim can be lighter... and remain incredibly stiff.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

C36 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
beanbiken wrote:
Anyone?
Spokes have no tension (Mavic R-Sys invented the concept) but are a tube able to support compression and traction (other spokes only support traction). Then there is way less stress on the rim so rim can be lighter... and remain incredibly stiff.

If the rim naturally like to compress and "tubes" are inserted to carry the load, my guess is that the wheel will have a ride feel heavily influenced?
I would like to test ride Corima MCC, Lightweight and possibly the latest Mavic Cosmic Ultimate just to actually grasp how these wheels feel.
My guess is that Corima run the risk of being the wheelset that actually is the one that is most harsh.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Partington 39/44?.. surely show what can be done
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

survivor

by survivor

ajcav86 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:49 am
Second that. 1150g disc brake tubeless wheels and the stiffness can be configured by user.

kode54

by kode54

Not sure if I would ever pay that much. My experience with LW wheels on my crappy pot hole roads wasn't great. I cracked both wheels eventually. Got crash replacements but never really felt like i could ride them on regular roads. If it didn't snow here and if I have nicely paved roads...maybe...but not for that price or even crash replacement prices.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

C36

by C36

wheelsONfire wrote:
C36 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
beanbiken wrote:
Anyone?

If the rim naturally like to compress and "tubes" are inserted to carry the load, my guess is that the wheel will have a ride feel heavily influenced?
I would like to test ride Corima MCC, Lightweight and possibly the latest Mavic Cosmic Ultimate just to actually grasp how these wheels feel.
My guess is that Corima run the risk of being the wheelset that actually is the one that is most harsh.
3 wheels use this tech Mavic (not sure if r-sys or ksyrium SLR are still in productions), corima and Reynolds on their ex-lew wheels (those one terribly lack stiffness, the spokes have too small compression resistance).
Mavic Cosmic ultimate are more like Lw with carbon spokes under tension.

RyanH

by RyanH

Lightweight Disc Clinchers were some of the worst wheels I've ridden. Felt like I was riding through sludge. Their tubulars are a different story but the clinchers are bad imo. I was talking a little while ago with a well known former domestic pro here and he was hesitant to say it but once I shared my view, he said he completely agreed that they felt super slow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

rollinslow

by rollinslow

A bit disappointed by their weight. Maybe need to have a spin-off company called Midweight for these. Maybe after a few years they can get the weight down. Otherwise, I see no benefit as previously the outdated rim shape was made up for by the incredbily low weight.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

Aeo

by Aeo

Why 24mm width? I would have expected at least 26mm
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

mendiz

by mendiz

I really think a Lightweight employee stole your girl
Calnago wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:40 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:...
Yes, but Lightweight is stiffer and a more expensive wheel to make.
Does it make it better or worth the money?
Didn't say that!
Exactly, and to answer your rhetorical question, No, it doesn’t make it better. It really doesn’t take much consideration of the way that the wheels are constructed, with the broad flat spokes being bonded to the inside of the rim wall, both having to be relatively flat surfaces at similar angles to get a good bond when being under tension, to realize how difficult it would be to produce the varied rim profiles that you see on most other wheels these days without significantly changing how the spokes are bonded to the rim under tension. Seems with that construction they couldn’t be anything but V shaped, and that really limits what they can do shape wise. A much simpler stainless spoke/nipple arrangement has so many more advantages... doesn’t limit the profile shapes you can create in layup, and just look at a stainless steel flat spoke used in a Bora for example, or many other wheels for that matter. The flat surface area of these spokes are about 1/3 that of the flat surface area of Lightweight carbon spoke. Plus, you still can’t true the things. They are what they are. And you have to send them back for any kind of rim service, and even the bearings on the front wheel have to be sent in for proper servicing. Something to keep in mind moreso than other wheels, especially when dealing with a company that very well might not be in business a year from now. Complexity of construction and difficulty of service are huge negatives when there are much better and simpler designs available that perform better as well. They sell on looks and perhaps a perception that since they cost so much they must be better. But stiff they are. I know more than one person with more money than experience where that perception definitely played a big part in the buying decision. But after a scary descent on the wheels, one asked me “Why didn’t you tell me how these wheels were in the wind?” I just said “Would you have listened?” He would have bought them anyway. He liked how they looked and they cost a lot. Pretty much his criteria for buying them right there. Yet doesn’t know how to do the simplest thing mechanically in his bike. As long as you know why you’re buying them, then it’s all good, regardless of your reasons.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the lw's are still a superb wheel. but i found the mavic ccu's even slightly better as it is truable in the rear but never had to true it.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Fernwegs aren't V-shaped and still have the carbon spokes. So this can't be the reason for the rim shape.

I like the construction and how they're produced, but they manage to dissappoint me every single time they come up with new wheels, as their newest stuff was already outdated 5 years ago.

jlok

by jlok

so... anyone got review?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com