Anybody swapped the bearings on a Rotor BSA30 ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

My BSA30 BB bearings are shut. I'm thinking of switching to some "better" bearings.
So I'm asking you guys, who has already did the bearing change on these cups ?
Did you keep the Rotor covers ? Other better options ? This BB will go on my TT bike, looking to bring it to lowest friction, best performance as possible.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My plan is to replace with NTN bearings, with two kinds of seals. Non contact towards the inside of the shell and low contact on the outer.

I wonder if changing the grease could improve performance. Like use a low fill rate of ceramicspeed grease maybe? I don't know...

JoO

by JoO

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:50 pm
My plan is to replace with NTN bearings, with two kinds of seals. Non contact towards the inside of the shell and low contact on the outer.

I wonder if changing the grease could improve performance. Like use a low fill rate of ceramicspeed grease maybe? I don't know...
The ceramic speed grease is faster as measured by friction facts. The downside is you need to re-lube and clean often. Lifting seals also increases the chance of damaging it.

Since you use bsa threaded cups. It might be an idea to have a race day optimised bb for little money.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

I did it, it's possible like any push bearing bottom bracket. I replaced them by Wheels MFG angular contact, some creaking because I think this bearings need a high compression, difficult with the new Rotor Aldhu ring. Also I'm wonder about the water/grit protection of this kind of bearings, I'm now considering to go back to 24mm spindle.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

30mm spindle on BSA BB shell sounds expensive and troublesome, 24mm shimano cranks are dirt cheap on eBay

Attermann

by Attermann

ChiZ01 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:48 am
30mm spindle on BSA BB shell sounds expensive and troublesome, 24mm shimano cranks are dirt cheap on eBay
Why?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Since in BSA the bearings are located in the cups outside the bb shell, it allows to use normal, full size berings 42x30, so no problems here.