Aero racing geometry disc frame with bigger clearences?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
musiclover

by musiclover

Hi,

I have been thinking about upgrading my Boardman SLR 2017 endurance disc which is a predominantly Dura Ace endurance disc road bike with bigger tyre clearences with some bigger wheels, but I am not 100% happy with it as I would like something a bit more aero. If I am to upgrade it with some nice wide wheels I am to keep it for a very long time. I managed to buy it about a year ago for $3000 AUD which is around 2000 USD.

Is it possible to get an aero disc more racing bike with big tyre clearences (fitting 30 mm outer rims) and disc brakes? Possibly, have it all in one package? So there is no need to upgrade wheels? Thanks

PS this could be an alternative to upgrading wheels.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Madone SLR will clear 30mm wheels/tires and probably even 32mm tires. I bet the Venge and several other 2019/2020 aero frames do...

by Weenie

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Yea the Venge has huge clearance. I recently had to take in my rear wheel for repair. So I rode the bike over to the shop with a _gravel_ wheel out back. 37mm tire on a 23mm inner width rim. The tire cleared, though just barely. Not real world usable, but it fit. A 32 would fit with a ton of space to spare. The fork looks equally spacious.

Also the Pro level venge comes well equipped imho. You get the sworks frameset, pretty good wheels with the right dimensions and full ultegra. I'm not one to say that it is a cheap bike, but it does compare favorably to the competition.
IMG_20191001_110419.jpg

andreas

by andreas

Depending on the inner width, I think you would be limited to something between 25-28 mm tires on a 30mm wide rim.

SystemSix, Venge and Orca OMX would probably support that fine.

If you want to go wider tires, maybe look into Open U.P or 3T Strada Speed.

There is also the road boost standard, but I think that's mainly being used for E-bikes.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What true tire clearance are you looking for?
I have noted tubulars are true to size no matter rim, while clinchers are a completely different story.
A 25mm tubular would most likely translate to a 23mm clincher tire on modern rims.

I also noted that almost every review talking of tire clearance regarding Strada, mentions the paint is scraped off.
They say it clear 30mm, it probably does, but then again the paint seems to be worn off.
I don't see how you can spec a frame for a certain width when it obviously have no clearance for real world cycling.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

musiclover

by musiclover

Thanks for the recommendations.

Actually, the idea was to try and compare different stratagies. So I can buy some carbon wheels for about a $1000 which will add to the value of the bike. Or maybe I can sell the bike altogether for similar price I have bought it for + 1000 I would have bought the wheels for and replace it altogether. If any manufacturer supplies a bike that I want + wheels that I want the end result might be better than a boardman + wheels.

musiclover

by musiclover

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:22 am
Check out the Rondo HRVT CF
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... f0-review/
Thanks! Not sold in Australia, unfortunately.

musiclover

by musiclover

Here are some clearences for Conti Grand Prix GP5000 in 28c measuring 28mm width and with 22mm outer width rim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FKi5JrCe7Fe5fWB58
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hhWa5WspBiErF5QS8

There is almost no doubts that 30mm rim/tyre would fit but what about 32mm rim 28/30/32 tyre? Thanks

dcorn

by dcorn

I'm running 32mm tires that measure just over 30mm wide on my disc Aeroad.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:34 am
The Madone SLR will clear 30mm wheels/tires and probably even 32mm tires. I bet the Venge and several other 2019/2020 aero frames do...
I want to love the madone but it is heavy as f***

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AMGRoadster wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:40 am

I want to love the madone but it is heavy as f***

There's other meh quirks about it. As always BB90 is a sore spot, though at least the next one will have T47. The design of the fork and HT means a steerer stop needs to be in place or part of the fork crown would slam into the bottom of the HT at extreme angles. <-- This isn't something you'd care about while riding, but it's an annoyance if you ever want to stick a Madone in the trunk of a car with the seats folded down. IsoSpeed I can live without at my weight. It's not very effective on the medium setting, but even at my weight in the low 60kg range, the lowest possible setting easily bottoms out.

musiclover

by musiclover

That's my current clearance around rim edge. Unfortunately, it's dark now so I was not 100% happy with the quality of pics. But it looks like it is around 40mm. Which should be enough for even 32mm outer widtn rim and 32c tyres?..

Usually they suggest about 2mm clearance each side. Which tells me that the maximum rim width I could fit in my frame should be 36mm outer?..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ow6q2edZiuJbysKo6

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You will likely be limited by the fork crown / tire height rather than width. ISO compliance dictates minimum clearance of 6mm, but I would be comfortable going down to 4mm or so. 2mm would be no bueno, especially with component flex taken into account.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

by Weenie