2020 Canyon Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

M4lukz wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:32 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 am
When you go to their website, click road and you'll see all road models are new except for aeroad and ultimate.
The ultimate cf evo disc is no longer sold. All cf evo rimbrakes bikes and framesets are on sale.
Not sure if in other countries this is also true, but at least in the portuguese store, the Ultimate Evo got a pretty decent price cut, 2k on the disc model, 2.5k on the rim brake version...

I still put my money on 2020 ultimates being "re-painted", and a new aeroad for 2020
My bet also. So much then I'm going to the new scott addict rc beginning of the year. Not interested in buying a last year cycle frame. On top of that, the scott will be even cheaper than the ultimate :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

M4lukz

by M4lukz

pmprego wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:38 am
M4lukz wrote:
ome rodriguez wrote:
When you go to their website, click road and you'll see all road models are new except for aeroad and ultimate.
The ultimate cf evo disc is no longer sold. All cf evo rimbrakes bikes and framesets are on sale.
Not sure if in other countries this is also true, but at least in the portuguese store, the Ultimate Evo got a pretty decent price cut, 2k on the disc model, 2.5k on the rim brake version...

I still put my money on 2020 ultimates being "re-painted", and a new aeroad for 2020
My bet also. So much then I'm going to the new scott addict rc beginning of the year. Not interested in buying a last year cycle frame. On top of that, the scott will be even cheaper than the ultimate :D
I'm also planning on buying the new addict rc, the frame is the "highest quality" from Scott, and the components are great for the price (still not beating the canyon price/weight relation tho). Still quite unsure that the extra 1k€ for the same weight is the best option, but the addict looks really good

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

I have some doubts that we will see a new Ultimate anytime soon. The Aeroad, though still quite good, was getting long in the tooth and beyond price had a dated appearance to a majority of the modern aero bike field. Seeing it coming out shortly isn't any surprise and buyers of that market a little more accepting of cost.

I feel that Canyon as a business is likely only going to release as the picture for Shimano 12 speed solidifies. Integration really pushes to disc/electronic builds and at the moment raises the price base notably. As the Canyon direct model is value and performance, its a notable conflict as value configurations will be a challenge.

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

mmeysarosh wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:38 pm
I have some doubts that we will see a new Ultimate anytime soon. The Aeroad, though still quite good, was getting long in the tooth and beyond price, had a dated appearance compared to a majority of the modern aero bike field. Seeing it coming out shortly isn't any surprise and buyers of that market a little more accepting of cost.

I feel that Canyon as a business is likely only going to release as the picture for Shimano 12 speed solidifies. Integration really pushes to disc/electronic builds and at the moment raises the price base notably. As the Canyon direct model is value and performance, its a notable conflict as value configurations will be a challenge.

pmprego

by pmprego

M4lukz wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 am
pmprego wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:38 am
M4lukz wrote:
ome rodriguez wrote:

I'm also planning on buying the new addict rc, the frame is the "highest quality" from Scott, and the components are great for the price (still not beating the canyon price/weight relation tho). Still quite unsure that the extra 1k€ for the same weight is the best option, but the addict looks really good
Yeah, I'm not going for the ultimate version. "just" the regular one. Going for the ultimate would mean the most expensive 80gr of my life :D

pmprego

by pmprego

mmeysarosh wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:42 pm
mmeysarosh wrote:
I have some doubts that we will see a new Ultimate anytime soon. The Aeroad, though still quite good, was getting long in the tooth and beyond price, had a dated appearance compared to a majority of the modern aero bike field. Seeing it coming out shortly isn't any surprise and buyers of that market a little more accepting of cost.

The "new" ultimates are out. Now with tubeless tyres and one new paint scheme.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

pmprego wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am
mmeysarosh wrote:
mmeysarosh wrote:

I'm feeling quite conflicted... the "new" CF SL 7.0 (as an example) is marked as "new", even though nothing at all changed. Same frame, same fork, same groupset, same wheels, same everything... not sure if Canyon knows what "New" actually means...

pmprego

by pmprego

M4lukz wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:38 am
pmprego wrote:
mmeysarosh wrote:
mmeysarosh wrote:

I'm feeling quite conflicted... the "new" CF SL 7.0 (as an example) is marked as "new", even though nothing at all changed. Same frame, same fork, same groupset, same wheels, same everything... not sure if Canyon knows what "New" actually means...
In the top models they are also adding powermeter as standard.

I'm glad they did this because in my head I had already decided on the addict. This way I don't have second thoughts.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

pmprego wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 am
M4lukz wrote:
pmprego wrote:
mmeysarosh wrote:

I'm glad they did this because in my head I had already decided on the addict. This way I don't have second thoughts.
I wasn't expecting Canyon to revamp their framesets on the ultimate, but at least offer some new colors or some different compontents in the "lower" price ranges. Like you, I was looking into the new addict rc already, now it's pretty much decision made. Off to a bikefit and to buy it!

EDIT: Powermeter coming as a standard doesn't really look that captivating, since I prefer pedal-based PM... so yeah, I'll be migrating my assiomas from bike to bike. Thanks Canyon!

pmprego

by pmprego

M4lukz wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am
pmprego wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 am
M4lukz wrote:
pmprego wrote:

I wasn't expecting Canyon to revamp their framesets on the ultimate, but at least offer some new colors or some different compontents in the "lower" price ranges. Like you, I was looking into the new addict rc already, now it's pretty much decision made. Off to a bikefit and to buy it!

EDIT: Powermeter coming as a standard doesn't really look that captivating, since I prefer pedal-based PM... so yeah, I'll be migrating my assiomas from bike to bike. Thanks Canyon!
I was just looking for the frame so nothing really new for me.

But a friend just showed me a very nice package of a cf sl ultegra di2 with very nice wheels. Very very nice package.

bikefire

by bikefire

M4lukz wrote:
pmprego wrote:
mmeysarosh wrote:
mmeysarosh wrote:

Same here. They just added "New" tag to Ultimate CF SL 8.0. But everything looks the same as 2019 moodel: frame, groupset, wheels, etc, even the color. The best part is that the inventory is also the same, all sizes are still out of stock. I feel that they may just re-release 2019 model as 2020, then came up new design for 2021.
Last edited by bikefire on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Yes, it's due for 2021 certainly.

jkonst

by jkonst

In Germany they at least freshened things up marginally for some of the models... power meter, new Schwalbe Pro One tires. Also slightly nicer wheels (DT Swiss 1100 vs 1400) compared to the equivalent US Red eTap model, though I think that was the case previously, too:
https://www.canyon.com/en-de/road-bikes ... /2413.html

Versus the US: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes ... /2168.html

I suppose it's possible some of these changes will come to the US, though from what I've seen the lines are somewhat distinct between regions.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

The US is simply behind the European site it seems. They still have models on sale, like the Euro had a month ago or so. Also no signs of the new tags, or colors.

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

Good to see that Canyon is begining to offer more interesting paintwork, but the only new thing in the Ultimate was the EVO Disc. That only has appeal to hill climb competitors, making it a very niche product. There is certainly a few comprimises in that build as that carbon layup likely takes a bit off the ride compliance and the components might only add to that loss.

The Aeroad will arrive shortly and I wouldn't be surprised if Canyon put another year on the current Ultimate. What willl be interesting is how Canyon approaches integration on the model. Looking at most of the other recent all around bikes, the low price bar is a bit of an ask and Canyon has a business model offering high value with a wide price range of a given model. This would include offering mechanical/disc and possibly mechanical/rim configurations that don't have integration like the new SuperSix Evo does. Other brands have left older designs to continue to give budget options. If you have the mold and layup and developement is done for some time, it doesn't hurt to keep and older design goint to capture lower budget consumers.

Addtionally, I kind of want to see what Shimano does in 12 speed before I would make any purchases, but that just me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com