difference between campagnolo potenza HO & non HO rim brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JoO

by JoO

Can someone explain the difference between
Campagnolo potenza HO and non HO for rim brakes?

And are they cross compatible wrt cable pull?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Cable pull for the derailleurs? yes you can use the ho rear in a rim group. What might not work that great is the crankset, but im not sure on that.

joejack951

by joejack951

'HO' is just a slightly shifted chainline to split the difference between optimum for rim and disc brake frames: https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Compon ... crankset_2

AJS914

by AJS914

No cable pull differences. HO is "hydraulic optimized". In practical terms, an HO rear derailleur may work a little better on a wider rear spacing (135mm QR or 142mm thru axel). The HO crankset has a small difference in chain line to work better with wider rear spacing.

It makes no sense to me why Campagnolo calls mechanical rim brake Potenza ergopower levers "HO".

JoO

by JoO

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:22 pm
No cable pull differences. HO is "hydraulic optimized". In practical terms, an HO rear derailleur may work a little better on a wider rear spacing (135mm QR or 142mm thru axel). The HO crankset has a small difference in chain line to work better with wider rear spacing.

It makes no sense to me why Campagnolo calls mechanical rim brake Potenza ergopower levers "HO".
Indeed. I understand the chainline.
I don’t understand what the change in the ergopowers would be

joejack951

by joejack951

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:22 pm
In practical terms, an HO rear derailleur may work a little better on a wider rear spacing (135mm QR or 142mm thru axel).
The wider rear spacing of a disc brake frame should not affect the operation of a rear derailleur at all. Everything is offset outward 2.5mm, including the derailleur, making the total distance traveled as well as the distance to the first and last cogs of the cassette identical to a 130mm frame setup. Unless there's some detail I'm missing.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Ergopowers are totally different. The rim ones pull cable and the disc work with oil.

JoO

by JoO

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 pm
Ergopowers are totally different. The rim ones pull cable and the disc work with oil.
I am talking about the rim ergos and RDs.
They were made in 2 variants
older "potenza" now discounted
newer "HO Potenza" more expensive (which is a stupid name because they are still for cable rim brakes, not for hydro)

AJS914

by AJS914

It makes no sense. My guess is that Campy just tacked on HO to everything. It's basically a 2018 part versus a 2019 part.
The wider rear spacing of a disc brake frame should not affect the operation of a rear derailleur at all. Everything is offset outward 2.5mm, including the derailleur, making the total distance traveled as well as the distance to the first and last cogs of the cassette identical to a 130mm frame setup. Unless there's some detail I'm missing.
That makes sense so I have no idea why Campy put the HO designation on the rear derailleur.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

OP you are right, they do say HO for the rim ergos. I looked in the pdf catalogue and it says the inner mechanism is modified to work better with the HO crankset. I think they now offer the HO or H11 cranks for both rim and disc, same as the 12speed has a single type of crank. Graeme, any additional info? Thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com