Unhappy rear mech

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller

by Miller

This is a brand new Shimano 11sp transmission with a Metrea rear mech. It runs roughly so I took a close look at it. The lower cage seems to be bent outwards and the chain rides on top of the teeth of the lower jockey wheel. Not crashed, I've only ridden it 30km and I'm sure I'd remember.

bch

by bch

Looks like bent hanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

Clearly (to me) a bent mechanism. Get a replacement, hopefully for free.

Similarly, I once bought a bike online (new) and spent at least two hours trying to get the rear to shift properly, a process which usually takes me 15 minutes max. Several adjustments and a few cassette swaps later, I finally replaced the chain and that cured the issue. It was a Sunrace chain with '9 speed' markings but it measured more in line with an 8 speed chain making it too wide to consistently fit the 9 speed sprockets. Strangest thing I've ever encountered on a brand new bike.

AJS914

by AJS914

That a weird one. The lower pulley cannot be meshed correctly with the chain?

Miller

by Miller

Because the pulley cage is bent outwards the chain is unhappy and won't sit into the teeth of the lower jockey wheel. I'm not ruling out a mech hanger issue but the lower cage really does look bent.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

While it certainly looks the way you claim, Miller, I wouldn't say it's 100% certain to be a bent derailleur cage, given several variables: camera angle, hanger condition, reference points. I think the best course of action is to ensure the hanger isn't bent, then have a look at it again. A bent derailleur cage would be a very odd item, even if it is a lower-level groupset.

c60rider

by c60rider

I don't think you can clearly be sure what exactly is going on from the pictures alone but the most obvious one is to check gear hanger alignment and go from there. Next thing would be to remove the jockey cages and see how straight they are. Between gear hanger and jockey cage is the most likely cause so rule in or out the main ones first of all.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Miller wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:21 pm
I'm not ruling out a mech hanger issue but the lower cage really does look bent.
The upper jockey wheel appears to be significantly not parallel to the sprockets. Looks like the hanger.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Use a hanger calibration tool to straighten it, then try again.

It's best to take a picture in the middle of the cassette. Some normal setups actually angle the cage outwards like this when in the small cogs to the right.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

The hanger looks straight to me but the cage from the top pulley wheel to the bottom pulley definitely looks twisted from the pics you have there. If the hanger was bent the chain would still run properly on the lower pulley wheel. If the chain was running proper on the last RD then its more likely your new RD. From what I can see of the upper pulley it appears that the wheel is meshing with the chain at that point and from the rear pic it looks as though the top pulley is slightly misaligned with the cassette as thats where the twisting starts with the cage and continues to get worse as it connects to the bottom pulley.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com