Is this the first sign of a crack or delamination?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

exctasy

by exctasy

Hi guys
I got into a silly crash recently and fell to the side at a slow speed.
As I disassembled my seatpost and fork, I found the following.
Seatpost : vertical line and a depression at the same area, which looks like the seat clamp, clamping area.
IMG_20191015_211725.jpg
Fork Steerer : seems like ringbarks which luescher teknik was tlaking abt in his posts and vids.
IMG_20191015_210526.jpg
are they toasted?
Last edited by exctasy on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

both looks fine

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hard to say, but it looks like poor craftmanship on the fork steerer where it doesn't need to be smooth...but just a guess.

Seatpost, you mean the vertical line near the edge? That could be a little more worrying...

exctasy

by exctasy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 am
Hard to say, but it looks like poor craftmanship on the fork steerer where it doesn't need to be smooth...but just a guess.

Seatpost, you mean the vertical line near the edge? That could be a little more worrying...
The fork steerer, I was wondering if it was showing signs of ringbarks like what luescher teknik was posting abt.

As for the seatpost, yeah the vertical line. The area where the seat clamp, clamps in the frame.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Steerer ridges are very common from manufacture. On the seatpost that vertical line looks like surface damage from the clamping system. Happens on many handlebars and steerers. I think at first it is not something to go crazy about - but needs frequent checking. If the mark gets bigger and starts to look like a break or crack rather than an indentation then it is time to replace. In general i equal these to lower quality carbon which has a high content of (softer) resin and/or is poorly compacted

eric01

by eric01

What are the two dark lines running perpendicular to the post? Those look like depressions. If yes that post is toast. If it’s just a shadow... ride it.

Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

exctasy

by exctasy

eric01 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 am
What are the two dark lines running perpendicular to the post? Those look like depressions. If yes that post is toast. If it’s just a shadow... ride it.
Ooh that's actually tape marking my seatpost height :D

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Both look fine, ride on. No worry

wilwil

by wilwil

The marks on the steerer look like impressions left by the stem and spacers. Sometimes you need to sand the sharp inner edges

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com