Stages G3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Broady

by Broady

Been debating a PM after using the Wattbike for a year or so at the gym and getting quite into data, has anyone had any experience with the G3?

Reviews seem favourable and after using the Wattbike I know my LR output is pretty equal so the single side only isn't too off-putting. I also have the 9100 c/set so would rather not replace the full thing if i have to.

Any alternatives if not? 4iii maybe? For my first time I'm not looking to spend SRM money...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Favero Assioma Duo unless you are KeO cleat adverse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

I started with first gen stages and it worked great for me as my first step into power based training. In my opinion getting any powermeter that is reasonably accurate and precise (most of them are now) is a huge leap from training without power. I have used several over the years, but frankly none have provided any better data to guide training that this first gen stages (still on my now 'b' road bike).

To your point I have seen lots of evidence that training with power improves performance, but I have not seen data that data on L/R balance (or other metrics) has any impact on performance (would love to see that evidence if anyone is aware). Someone has already provided a declarative statement of what is the 'best' for you, but there are pros and cons of the various type that you have probably already thought of (i.e. how many bikes you have, how much modification, cost, etc). In my opinion using money / resources that you may use for a more expensive powermeter is better spent on resources that will help you use the data (coach, training plans, books, etc).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

He asked for alternatives and I provided one, I did not declare it to be the best and even stated a reason why he might want to avoid them.

The Assiomas are 1) inexpensive, 2) close to universally compatible, 3) easy to swap between bikes / travel with, 4) from a company that seems to be on top of firmware updates. The main points against are it locks you into KeO cleats and the damage risk in a crash. On the other hand, replacement Assioma pedal bodies are fairly inexpensive.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 pm
Favero Assioma Duo unless you are KeO cleat adverse.
Does the Assioma work with Keo or is it Xpedo and can sort of fit Keo

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

Sorry, agree - your second post provides a lot of good reasons why they would be a good first powermeter

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've had several second and third generation Stages PM's, and without a doubt, the 3rd gen Stages PM's are a big improvement in terms of quality and reliability. I would definitely recommend them.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Does the Assioma work with Keo or is it Xpedo and can sort of fit Keo

They use Xpedo pedal bodies, but KeO cleats work just fine.

--

One caveat with Stages, 4iiii, Pioneer, etc. crank based PMs is that drive-side crank issue. If you want to upgrade a Stages L to an LR, it won't be accurate. No Shimano DS crank based PMs are. Maybe this isn't a big issue for some, but spider, hub, pedal and non-Shimano crank based PMs don't have this problem...

Broady

by Broady

I did consider Assiomas and Vectors but I don't really want to lose my DA pedals, and have Shimano on all my bikes so would rather not have to change but I may do a bit more research into them.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Stages makes a great product and is a great company if you have an issue. I bought a gen2 2nd hand and it took a crap on me. Stages paid for shipping and refurbished mine to a gen 3 at their cost. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one of their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

G1 on my trainer bike... had for years and still works fine
G2 on the gravel bike... worked fine
G3 is going on the gravel bike since I switched the Easton EC90SLs.. so far so good.

I have Garmin Vector 2 on the TT and Vector 3 on my Road bike as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

szazbo

by szazbo

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:16 pm
G3 is going on the gravel bike since I switched the Easton EC90SLs.. so far so good.
? Did you remove the EC90SL's? and go to something else? I was thinking about putting some of those on my gravel bike...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

szazbo wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:26 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:16 pm
? Did you remove the EC90SL's? and go to something else? I was thinking about putting some of those on my gravel bike...
typo... should have been switched to the Eastons.. was on 9100 DA. Mostly for looks.. always like the Eastons..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Morkai

by Morkai

Anyone using Stages G3 with a front light?
Are there any data drops (especially when using the full power of the light - to see mode and not to be seen)?

I have G2 on my old bike and when I was riding in the dark with the light on there was no power data for up to 50% of the time.
No such issues with Quarq on another bike.

I was using this front light: Mactronic Noise 02
Last edited by Morkai on Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raimundo

by Raimundo

I am very happy with my Stages gen3, i could keep my Dura-ace pedals, and asside from a few hiccups from the app they have been fuss free.