New build with Campagnolo EPS 12s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Miller wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:17 pm
carbonazza wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:46 pm
I've broken the piggy bank for my new bike 🤩 and need some Campy advice
I build bikes and wheels for the last 5 years for family and friends.
But it is my first campy build. And have some worries:
There are very good Campagnolo installation videos on youtube so have a look through those.

I've done a couple of their hydro brakes. Hose fastening is straightforward with a nut and olive at the caliper end. I bought the little metal block for setting the correct distance between caliper pistons while filling with mineral oil.

Opinions vary as to whether you need a tool for making/breaking EPS cable plug connections.

UT chainset needs a 10mm hex key.
Definitely use the oil level tool for filling / bleeding the hydro brake system. Most of the occasions I have seen where people complain of assymmetric pad movement, they've filled or bled the system using some other method.

Olives and barbs are the same as Magura, as is the fluid, so if you struggle to find these items in your market, the Magura items may be a more readily-available alternative.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Once again Graeme, thanks for chiming in. As soon as you mentioned “eps”, I looked back at the title of this thread and said to myself in Homer Simpson style “D’oh!”, because my earlier post on the chain was in reference to mechanical 12sp only, and for EPS the chainlength and adjustment is indeed different, and is the same as for 11sp, using the small/small method that Campagnolo has used previously up to 12sp mechanical. In fact, the eps 12sp rear derailleur is much more like a slightly modified 11sp dérailleur than the mechanical 12sp dérailleur in its setup and operation. The mechanical version is truly a new beast in its own right. EPS 12 still uses the “H” screw for adjustment. There is no “H” screw on the mechanical 12 version and the linkages, geometries, spring tensions and appropriate chainlength all combined with the B-screw adjustment allows one to adjust the mechanical version far more effectively than the EPS version. EPS also doesn’t use the “joint” between the regular hanger and the upper main pivot. I don’t think there’s any way you can adjust the EPS derailleur nearly as close to the entire range of cogs (biggest and smallest) as you can get the mechanical version to be, and this makes the new Campagnolo mechanical 12sp rear derailleur the crispest and most precise shifting rear derailleur on the market today in my opinion when set up properly.
Also, to the OP or anyone else looking to install this stuff on their own, I agree that the Campagnolo videos are probably your best resource. The little nuances, tips and tricks etc., will come during those ah ha moments that you must actually experience to truly understand. One thing about the videos that shouldn’t be overlooked, particularly if it’s been awhile since you’ve done a complete new install with the new stuff is that they kind of assume you know and understand the info in the preceding videos leading up to it. For 12sp setup videos for example, consider an understanding of the 11sp setup videos a prerequisite if you will. So if in the video they mention something like “this part of the setup is the same as for 11sp, except for the following...”, make sure you understand the 11sp part they are referring to.
Happy setup!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

carbonazza wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:56 am
joeyb1000 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:10 am
Carnonazza, there is a lengthy thread on this site about EPS V4. Lots of useful info.
The forum search on EPS V4 isn't great, and Google gives only the one with bar end plugs...

You mean this massive Campagnolo 12-speed one?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=150738&sid=fa8849ec ... start=1410

And thank you all for the chain advices.
This one:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149698&hilit=Campy+EPS+v4

carbonazza

by carbonazza

Thank you all for responding.
To sum it up:
  • I'll watch youtube for the tutorials, Campagnolo have as well a ton of PDF about EPS to read
  • Buy the oil level tool, and check for the lockrings( I have plenty from an old shop, one will probably fit )
  • I will first give a chance to a chain joining/good cleaning/good lube. If not convinced, I'll then try an Eagle link.
  • The chainstay is 415, so I'm good with the 110 links method, thanks Graeme for the precise setup details
Although the seller insured me everything was included, the handlebar mounting cables were obviously not included.
They gave me 11 speed rings, not sure if the 0,05mm is that important... I will probably return them and get Campagnolo ones.
And I need to get as well the flat mount screws for the rear caliper that are not included either, since they depend on the thickness of the chainstay.

With all this I think I'll be ready to start

carbonazza

by carbonazza

@nismosr, I'm sorry but I'm quite new here, and don't have the right yet to write PM's
I should receive the p2m tomorrow. I'll post picture when available.